PDA

View Full Version : How long will 3.02b be beta?

Tachyon1000
11-27-2004, 10:29 PM
The public beta release of the 3.02b patch has divided the community at present into beta and non-beta users. With many of the major multiplayer servers using the public beta, this patch is becoming the community standard. For those of us not on the bleeding edge, I am wondering when this particular patch or its replacement will be become the official patch so that we can all be on the same page, and basically so I can go on a server without risking data corruption, etc. Thanks.

OneTinSoldier77
11-27-2004, 11:35 PM
Hi Tachyon1000,

Reasonable question I suppose. But I think the only ones who could possibly know the answer would be the development team, and even they probably don't know the answer right now. Even though the 'b' in the name means 'beta', it's still really just another patch. I doubt, very highly, that by using the patch that you will risk data corruption. At the very least to what is most important on your computer, which is the OS and it's filesystem.

I run IL-2 + AEP + PF as a merged installation.

You could do what I am about to do right now if you want to, which is to make it so that you have both the 3.01m and 3.02bm versions available to you. All it requires is that you have the appropriate amount of hard drive space. I have not done what I am about to explain yet so I cannot testify 100% that it will work, but I certainly think it will. Ok, here goes...

1) Rename your 'IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles' folder to 'IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles_3.01m'

2) Make a new folder named 'IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles'

3) Go into the ''IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles_3.01m' folder. Press 'Ctrl + A' on your keyboard which will highlight(select) everything in there. Press 'Ctrl + C'. Go into the ''IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles' folder you made in Step #2. Press 'Ctrl + V', which will copy over the entire game from 'IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles_3.01m'.

4) Run the patches from the 'PF_patch302b_common.zip' and 'PF_patch302bm.zip' in order to patch the game up to v3.02bm, obviously.

5) Now you are ready to run the game as v3.02bm. Want to run v3.01m? Just rename the 'IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles' folder to 'IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles_3.02bm'. Then rename your 'IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles_3.01m' folder to ''IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles' and you will now run 3.01m!

As I already said, this will require that you have the necessary disk space as you will now have two installations of the game on your hard drive.

If you find that your are encountering data corruption within your v3.02bm version of the game then you could just delete it and wait for 3.02 to become final(non-beta). I doubt that you'll encounter any data corruption problems though. This doesn't mean you might not encounter some lock-ups or errors though! But I think those types of problems are occasionally encountered even in versions that are not betas. Heck, there's been some times where I've seen a beta version of a program was better than the subsequent release of the finalized version of it.

Hope that helps,

One Tin Soldier

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
11-27-2004, 11:46 PM
before you patch just copy the origional sturmovik folder to another location as sugested by tin soldier. both versions will work fine from whichever directory you choose and you shouldn't have to rename the folder again.

Simply create two short cuts on your desk to each of the respective fb.exe's (note you will have to give the short cuts different names but other than that they should work fine) eg fb1 and fb.

for hyperlobby purposes when choosing which version to run press and hold ctrl+shift and click on connect. A window will pop up allowing you to browse to the directory of the version of fb you wish to run.

As Tin say's the only restriction is hard drive space

VF-29_Sandman
11-28-2004, 04:55 AM
or, u could try setting a restore point (after d/l'ing patches) just before u install. if u screw it up, just restore it to that point. problem should be solved.

rpkiller
11-28-2004, 05:54 AM
Windows XP Restore Points generally just work for system files and don't affect or have limited affect on program files. It may work, but I wouldn't use it as a reliable way of backing anything up.

kind regards

rp

triggerhappyfin
11-28-2004, 08:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tachyon1000:
The public beta release of the 3.02b patch has divided the community at present into beta and non-beta users. With many of the major multiplayer servers using the public beta, this patch is becoming the community standard. For those of us not on the bleeding edge, I am wondering when this particular patch or its replacement will be become the official patch so that we can all be on the same page, and basically so I can go on a server without risking data corruption, etc. Thanks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It´s all in Olegs hands - when he consider it completed with the help of community to repport about what bugs found in beta.

Let´s be patient and just keep gaming and let things develop in their own pace - shall we.

It´s in the pipelines and I dont imagin the development team just let things lie around but work hard and we get the official patch and the ded server as they get finished.

VW-IceFire
11-28-2004, 11:00 AM
Ready when its ready.

Meantime, its our duty, as willing participants (I am anyways http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) in a public beta test to use the required methods to report and submit bugs to the development team wherever we see them.