PDA

View Full Version : Total newb question so plz forgive

pmckelvy
12-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Ok guys I hope I'm in the right spot to ask these silly questions but sorry if I'm not. I'm trying to get into combat flight simming and currently just own IL2 and CFS3 (till I get better.) First: when taking off the boys in front seem to speed off far ahead at first then I catch up minutes later. I go gears up and flaps up imedeatly and have wep on. I seem to be climbing at the same rate but they just have more speed than me. I'm not sure what to do with prop pitch at all so I leave it at auto.
Secondly is there any good resources on dog fighting these planes that I can try to teach myself?

And lastly which sim should I pick up next? PF or the add ons to IL2? I was a bit disapointed with CFS3 but still solid. Anyway thanks for your help guys and any help on how better to get involved would be great.

pmckelvy
12-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Ok guys I hope I'm in the right spot to ask these silly questions but sorry if I'm not. I'm trying to get into combat flight simming and currently just own IL2 and CFS3 (till I get better.) First: when taking off the boys in front seem to speed off far ahead at first then I catch up minutes later. I go gears up and flaps up imedeatly and have wep on. I seem to be climbing at the same rate but they just have more speed than me. I'm not sure what to do with prop pitch at all so I leave it at auto.
Secondly is there any good resources on dog fighting these planes that I can try to teach myself?

And lastly which sim should I pick up next? PF or the add ons to IL2? I was a bit disapointed with CFS3 but still solid. Anyway thanks for your help guys and any help on how better to get involved would be great.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
12-30-2004, 08:38 PM
Ill try to start off with the easy one:

Get PF and IL2 Forgotten Battles and the Ace Expansion pack for FB, you wont be disappointed, no matter how many rants you hear from other players... they are still playing it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

CFS3 blows, big disappointment for me at least.

Tactics... unfortunatley I had some very good websites but forget to back them up when I reformatted Christmas Eve. *bangs forehead* Rest assured there will be tons of links popping in with good info.. oh, wait, I remember one. www.airwarfare.com (http://www.airwarfare.com) I think thats the name of it again, used to be the old MudMovers.

About the AI flying way ahead, just fly level till you get speed then gradually climb to their level, they run off a simple flight code, compared to the complex one we use and thus sometimes they do wierd things and gain speed faster at times, especially when they are climbing.

Tully__
12-30-2004, 08:48 PM
To have less trouble keeping up, don't try to match climb rate until you've caught up. The computer controlled aircraft have a simpler flight model and are able to do a few things you can't. They will climb & cruise at speeds between 290-330km/h, the exact speed depending on aircraft type. When you take off, fly level until you're flying 330-350km/h then commence a gentle climb. Monitor your climb rate and speed, keeping your climb rate low enough so you don't lose speed. Once your flight is directly overhead, increase you climb rate until you've matched speed and you'll be at the same altitude quite quickly.

If you intend to fly online, you'll need IL2:Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion Pack and Pacific Fighters as most online flyers are using the merged install. If you see IL2:Forgotten Battles Gold Pack, it contains both Forgotten Battles and the Ace Expansion.

If you have no intention of going online, get the game version with the aircraft you most wish to fly or fly against. Bear in mind that Ace Expansion Pack can only be installed as an add on to Forgotten Battles, but all the other versions will run as stand alone games.

The only expansions available for the original IL2 Sturmovik game are the patches, which are available from 3DGamers IL2 Sturmovik Downloads page (http://www.3dgamers.com/games/il2sturmovik/downloads/). You'll want 1.1a and 1.2. The 1.2ov patch is optional and allows the use of non-standard voice files for AI pilots.

Patches for IL2:Forgotten Battles/Ace Expansion Pack can be found on the 3DGamers Forgotten Battles download page, and Pacific Fighters patches can be found on the 3DGamers Pacific Fighters download page.

Bearcat99
12-30-2004, 08:52 PM
What you want is this http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/241057.jpg (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/homepages/pcgames/) FB Aces GOLD and PF. IL2 is nice but if you are savy enough to be disapointed with CFS3 and interested enough to come here and ask.. (Youd be surprised how many just give up.. I would love to know how many people there are who dont even know about the online aspect or the community) you will enjoy this. The learning curve is steep.... very challenging but highly immersive and very worth it. Look at FB as IL2 the sequel.. not an add on.. and look at it as one 5CD $58-$78 product..... depending on where you go. If you want to do it NOW then just go to Comp USA and get the Aces GOLD and PF there for $29 and $39 respectively. Make sure you have a decent stick... I recommend Saitek over Logitech for low budget.. CH is good from what I hear but IMO they are overpriced)

Welcome to the community....and for information on tactics, utilities, and more hit the link in my sig entitled Sturmovik Essentials.

ThreeCrow
12-30-2004, 08:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pmckelvy:

And lastly which sim should I pick up next? PF or the add ons to IL2? I was a bit disapointed with CFS3 but still solid. Anyway thanks for your help guys and any help on how better to get involved would be great. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find a plane that you like (for what ever reason)... Create a FMB solo mission for it and take it up to find out what it (and you) can do.

...and what you can't and the plane can't (I am still researching this).

If I had it to do over... I would have started with a simple ***lane and work up to the late war screamers.

...and welcome to you. You have enjoyment in your future,

Bearcat99
12-30-2004, 09:06 PM
3crow you are courting a ban....... we dont use the terms J** or N** here. Find another term.. use IJN or IJA , short for Imperial Japanese Navy/Army. I wont warn you again.

wayno7777
12-30-2004, 09:28 PM
Btw, I just saw the gold pac down to 19.99 at EBGames. Price drop. Same with Jedi Academy

pmckelvy
12-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Thanks a million for the quick response guys. I've already tried out your advice and worked like a charm. I don't suck quite as bad as I thought. Also set up my views and controls better and have already improved. Here in the near future I'll grab the gold pack and later PF. 'Till then I'll keep at it offline. Boy dogfighting is sure different than FS2004. And I thought I was doing ok for no RL experiance...lol. But thanks again for the support and hopefully I'll be seeing you soon. (probably the newb you pick off flying straight and level when he should not have been)

Mac