PDA

View Full Version : Does the AI change tactics over the course of a campaign...?

FI-Skipper
12-23-2005, 12:30 PM
This is kind of hard to explain but i'll try as i'm intrigued to know whether this is true.I've been flying a Normandy '41 campaign on the DCG and in the first few missions there were swarms of 109's literally 4-1 against my Spits so I would tend to try and hold off from engaging because I found I suffered heavy casualties.Now 4-5 missions on the AI has just attacked in a very small group as if to draw me into a battle in the hope of atleast killing a few and perhaps keeping me up while the second wave begins to assault.Have I just imagined this(I may be losing it!) or has anyone found similar stuff?I imagine its probably just coincidence but if not....il2 surpasses itself again!

Cheers

Skipper

oFZo
12-23-2005, 12:44 PM
There's levels for AI, rookies, aces and stuff inbetween. My guess is what type of pilots you encounter in your mission changes over time.

mortoma
12-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Well the AI as far as the programming code in the game itself do not change tactics. With a third party generator such as DCG, there may be programming code that will alter the amount of aircraft as the campaign or subcampaign progresses and it also might alter the AI skill level. It may generate more enemy at veteran or ace level after a time or may go the other way and decrease the skill level to reflect history. Such as in the case of Germany having fewer and fewer veteran combat aces left as the war progressed and had to rely more on raw recruits with little experience. I am not an expert on DCG but I know that the default Dgen generator is programmed to do that. So yes, numbers and skill level of AI may change but the AI does not "learn" in any sense of the word to cause AI behavior changes. Does this answer your question??

Kuna15
12-23-2005, 03:04 PM
What oFZo and mortoma said I agree.
Also note that AI is a bit different for every plane type.

I for instance find that A6M is deadliest AI in game.