PDA

View Full Version : I had a very REAL mission today...

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 07:45 AM
I am amazed at how amazingly real this game seems sometimes. No I don't mean the complex engine stuff or the flight model, but the combat and how anything can happen. In past sims the combat seemed so scripted, now with IL-2: FB, each battle seems different and challenging in its own way. Just today I had a mission that reminded me of when I read about Eric Hartmann's first kill. I was flying in my bf109G-2, and then my flight spotted enemy fighters, we immediately dove down on the unsuspecting rata's (well I wish they were unsuspecting, anywho) and I picked the leader of the flight as my target. My first pass with a short burst of cannons yeilded a good size hole in his left wing, yet he still was not giving up. So, I came around again and chopped my throttle so that I settled in on his 6. Then I got so close I could see the fine panel lines on his little fighter, and I let loose with all I had, what happened next amazed me, and it was the first time that I was excited about my engine catching on fire. My only guess is that all the debris that was falling off his plane was doing a number on the nose of my plane, and as I had finished hosing him with bullets I realized that my bird had caught on fire. Thank God I was over friendly territory, I immediately shut the engine down, rolled over and bailed out, and watched as my stricken plane plummetted towards the earth. All I could say was "WOW", that was the best mission I have ever had regardless of my misfortune, and then I wondered if I had been shot at by a different fighter from behind. I checked as I was slowly falling in my chute, and the other three fighters were engaged a good distance away, there is no way. All I have to say is, thank you for such an awesome game. WOW.

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 07:45 AM
I am amazed at how amazingly real this game seems sometimes. No I don't mean the complex engine stuff or the flight model, but the combat and how anything can happen. In past sims the combat seemed so scripted, now with IL-2: FB, each battle seems different and challenging in its own way. Just today I had a mission that reminded me of when I read about Eric Hartmann's first kill. I was flying in my bf109G-2, and then my flight spotted enemy fighters, we immediately dove down on the unsuspecting rata's (well I wish they were unsuspecting, anywho) and I picked the leader of the flight as my target. My first pass with a short burst of cannons yeilded a good size hole in his left wing, yet he still was not giving up. So, I came around again and chopped my throttle so that I settled in on his 6. Then I got so close I could see the fine panel lines on his little fighter, and I let loose with all I had, what happened next amazed me, and it was the first time that I was excited about my engine catching on fire. My only guess is that all the debris that was falling off his plane was doing a number on the nose of my plane, and as I had finished hosing him with bullets I realized that my bird had caught on fire. Thank God I was over friendly territory, I immediately shut the engine down, rolled over and bailed out, and watched as my stricken plane plummetted towards the earth. All I could say was "WOW", that was the best mission I have ever had regardless of my misfortune, and then I wondered if I had been shot at by a different fighter from behind. I checked as I was slowly falling in my chute, and the other three fighters were engaged a good distance away, there is no way. All I have to say is, thank you for such an awesome game. WOW.

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 07:55 AM
Cool story...

47|FC
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/research/p47-6.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 08:14 AM
hehehe.... cool it is...only if you didn't exagerate when you say you could get slow on a I-16's 6oc with a 109 and then having enought time to take a look at the panel lines of it! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Hillarious! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 08:15 AM
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

47|FC
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/research/p47-6.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 08:26 AM
I wasn't exagerating, He dove a little gaining speed, and let me tell you it wasn't easy slowing down to get behind him, I had to put out two notches of flaps, and slip it in to lose speed, and I was still closing in at a good clip, but I had enough time to see him close, fire, and get his debris in my face. It was intense.

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 08:32 AM
hehehe... I didn't say you exagerated about geting on his 6oc but about you clearly noticing the panel lines /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 08:56 AM
I agree with all of you, FB is GREAT!
By the way, I've noticed something bizarre in situations like these.
When you are in Campaign mode, you can approach a small (2-3) group of enemy fighters from behind without being noticed and fire, sometimes destroying a couple of them before the rest realizes what's happening and reacts. That's normal, since most of the planes don't have a rear view to spot enemies approaching from 6, and for the same reason they shouldn't know if their wingmates behind them suddenly... "disappear".
Well, this seems not to happen playing QMB. If you do the same, as soon as you are, let's say, 700-800 m at their 6, they break the formation and engage you, as if they spotted you or if someone warned them.
Moreover, I also noticed that if you're on an ace's 6, as soon as you pull the trigger he will dodge, that means he is dodging BEFORE the stream of rounds arrives at his level. Does FB aces have some eyes behind the head and a transparent fuselage (or rear-cameras?), so they can see the flash of the guns the moment I'm firing? I'm not whining, just saying that this seems quite unrealistic. Did you notice the same?
Finally, I have a couple of questions:
Is AI blind inside clouds?
Is AI blinded by the sun?

Bye!

http://www.goblins.net/immagini/Logo/tdglogo_eng.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 09:11 AM
Yeah I did exaggerat about the lines, but it was a story for crying out loud ;P...anywho, yeah i have noticed this with ace pilots as well, they seem to know what is going to happen before it happens. I hope that plus the enemies knowing you are back there getting fixed. Would make the game so much better.

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 10:58 AM
yeah they can dodge bullets but yaks dosenāĀ“t need to /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 02:18 PM
i love this game to. I remeber when i got the first il2 in
01' i had played cfs 1 before but i got a new pc all i could say was WOW/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

---------------------------------------
A to the K to 4 to the 7 little
devils dont go heaven Freedom got a AK
---------------------------------------

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 04:18 PM
Good story, definitely one for the "No sh*t, there I was..." files.

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1951.

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 06:33 PM
^ haha, thats pretty funny.