PDA

View Full Version : It isnt Iwo Jima anymore.

Dagnabit
06-21-2007, 01:30 PM
TOKYO - Japan has returned to using the prewar name for the island of Iwo Jima " site of one of World War II's most horrific battles " at the urging of its original inhabitants, who want to reclaim an identity they say has been hijacked by high-profile movies like Clint Eastwood's "Letters from Iwo Jima."
(Above statement from Yahoo News)

The new name for the Island is Iwo To, though I am sure it wont make much difference around here, and for my money it is still Iwo Jima. Especially since so many of our boys fought for and died for IWO JIMA.
Regards
Dag

Korolov1986
06-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Already a thread on this, posted not to long ago. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

major_setback
06-21-2007, 01:37 PM
I will from this moment be known as 'the pilot formerly known as setback'. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

DKoor
06-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Yes... I just saw it in newspapers.
"Sulphuric isle" - a new name...

Dagnabit
06-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Please excuse the Oldtimers attack http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
This item showed up on my homepage when I booted up, and I thought it would be a good bit of news for the forum . Being in a hurry I just jumped in and posted.
Anyway WTG Bearcat http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
Dag
Be sure to read Bearcats post on this matter it is moch more informative, and well done.

J_Anonymous
06-21-2007, 02:24 PM
This is a perfect example of how misinformation can quickly spread out through internet. Authors of Yahoo etc. don't verify the news source and type up whatever caught their attention from another internet source. In this case, Yahoo quoted a news report with misinformation.

As I explaiend in a different thread, in Japanese, Iwo-island was always called "Iwo to" both before and after WW2. Japanese did not and do not call it "Iwo jima". "Iwo" means yellow sulfer. Both "to" and "jima" mean "island", and represented by a Chinese character.

Even though the same Chinese character is used for all islands' name, each island has a specific reading either "to" or "jima". ("Father-island" is "Chichi jima" and the Japanese never call it "Chichi to").

The U.S. forces in 1944 called the island with a wrong name, i.e. "Iwo jima."

When the island was freed from occupation and returned to Japan in 1968, the official Japanese name "Iwo to" was restored. But, by an inadvertent error, Geological Survey of Japan printed a map with wrong designated pronounciation of the island, "Iwo jima," with 3 correct Chinese charcter to represent "Iwoto" in 1982. The error of the map was never corrected until this year. Since all news media (TV etc.) always called the island "Iwoto" in Japanese, the error of the map never caused any practical harm any way and nobody bothered to fix the error.

The former residents of Iwoto and their descendent have been lobbying the government for 6 decades to get a permission to return to their home in Iwoto. They managed to get the attention of the authorities, finally, thanks to the Eastwood movie. They have not succeeded in obtaining permission to live on the island again, but the error of the designated pronounciation of the Chinese character in the map was finally corrected.

SeaFireLIV
06-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Yep that`s right. Iwo To is it.

Starange how some people insist on seeing a plot where none exists because they assume that their westernised interpretation must be correct and if someone else says `No, you`ve got it wrong, not us` it must be some kind of conspiracy plot. It`s really just culture/ racism paranoia assuming it`s automatically correct about whatever it assumes of another far away peoples.

they don`t even post later to apologise for assuming the wrong thing.

BaldieJr
06-21-2007, 06:58 PM
This is TITORing on ancient history

joeap
06-22-2007, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Yep that`s right. Iwo To is it.

Starange how some people insist on seeing a plot where none exists because they assume that their westernised interpretation must be correct and if someone else says `No, you`ve got it wrong, not us` it must be some kind of conspiracy plot. It`s really just culture/ racism paranoia assuming it`s automatically correct about whatever it assumes of another far away peoples.

they don`t even post later to apologise for assuming the wrong thing.

Ahh what racist paranoia? There were some misunderstanding based on other recent events and trends that's all.