PDA

View Full Version : Advice in 3D glasses...

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 09:50 AM
Hi,

I'm pretty sure I'll buy a TrackIR before end of month, so I thinking also if buying a ED Glasses together is a good idea.

I have some doubts, that I'd prefer to be answer by people that may have it.

1. Have the glasses screens?, or you see your own monitor?. First left eye after right one, left, right, etc

2. They need to double fps in the game? Because if that, I'd need a super rig to run FB for example...

3. Does the software speed down the game?

4. Does it do noise?

5. Which do you prefer? The wireless or wire version.

6. If you use them with TrackIR. Does they interfere?

Thanks in advance. I know they are many questions, but even only one comment is appreciated /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif . Thx!

Message Edited on 09/22/0308:59AM by Darkbluesky

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 09:50 AM
Hi,

I'm pretty sure I'll buy a TrackIR before end of month, so I thinking also if buying a ED Glasses together is a good idea.

I have some doubts, that I'd prefer to be answer by people that may have it.

1. Have the glasses screens?, or you see your own monitor?. First left eye after right one, left, right, etc

2. They need to double fps in the game? Because if that, I'd need a super rig to run FB for example...

3. Does the software speed down the game?

4. Does it do noise?

5. Which do you prefer? The wireless or wire version.

6. If you use them with TrackIR. Does they interfere?

Thanks in advance. I know they are many questions, but even only one comment is appreciated /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif . Thx!

Message Edited on 09/22/0308:59AM by Darkbluesky

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Hi M8.

I bought the edimensional package, with wireless glasses and tir.

The glasses work on a shutter basis, left eye right eye, so the image you see is from your monitor.

There is a hit on FPS, just under 50%, so the recommendation to lower resolution offsets that.

You need a monitor that can support around 100Mhz at your chosen resolution (I use 1280x960 @85Mhz) and the flicker is discernable.

The monitor also needs to have a fast phosphour decay (image disappears quickly) otherwise some ghosting will be evident.

It will NOT work with LCD panels.

To be honest I no longer use my glasses in FB online, but in FPS such as MOHAA, BF1942, Vietcong, Unreal it is amazing.

In FB offline I use it from time to time but restrict myself to cockpit on only (in external views it goes screwy).

Hope this helps!

Track IR I would not be without!

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 11:33 AM
Okay the performance hit is more like 10-20 % I have encountered with my old Geforce 4 ti-4600 cause of very much the higher refreshrates you need to use. This is in page flipping mode. There is another mode interleaving I think it´s called which works at standard refresh rate and thus would hardly cause any performance hit at all. But from what I have heard at some angles the image can get distorted in that mode.

Since I currently own an ATI video card my stereo3D glasses is just about useless.

That also means that if you got an ATI video card forget about stereo3D gaming. There are 3rd party drivers out there from Edimensional but their driver team is supposedly just 1 person and the update of their drivers is extremely slow and have far to go to achieve the same level as the nVidias stereo3D drivers.

ATI will probably never support this technology... They have shown 0 interest in it but it do work in some games though still...

And yes these Stereo3D glasses was just awesome for IL 2. Haven´t tried them in FB and there seems to be some bug in this game. Don´t know if it´s been solved though.

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 12:45 PM
To get 3D glasses working properly in FB you need to have your video setup set to custom, have stencil buffer on and disable Vertex array or the right image is missing on ground objects and aircraft.
This issue affects ELSA 3D glasses maybe not all glasses.
Get to video setup by going to Programs/UBI/IL2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles/Setup
You may also need to adjust left/right image seperation for depth perception or looking at a cockpit view may give you a headache (access this by going into you nvidia preferences). With my glasses the left and right image by default is too far apart.
3D is a joy to watch in FB especially the tracers.
I get slight ghosting of the left image, and I have my resolution set to 800x600 for playing in 3D.
This gives you 50hz display when watching in 3D which is no worse than watching TV in the UK. PAL Television in the UK is 50hz so the flicker will be no worse than that if you can get 100hz at 800x600.
The 3D has to be seen to be believed.

My ELSA wireless 3D glasses cost me 5 in a clearance sale. How good is that? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

<center>http://www.appy55.dsl.pipex.com/FB/squigsig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 08:27 AM
I've found two trheads in LOMAC forums where a sales representant of edimensional answered questions,

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=lomac_gd&id=zvrtc

And the continuation of the topic,

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=lomac_gd&id=zvqoc

He sais is a new mode in which you not-half the frequency but you loss half vertical resolution. Although it says also it will be a new mode with not-halved freq and not-halved vertical res.

Las night I tested my monitor: it can achieve 120 MHz in 1024x768 16/24 bits and almost 120 in 1152x870. This lets me around 60 Hz so I can use interlaced mode without fatigue and without loss in vertical res. Is 60 Hz enough?

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 08:31 AM
after noticing reports of problems with ATI cards and also generic issues with FB i decided to put off the 3d glasses purchase for a while and get a trackir rig instead

<center> http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDLAtUWiWZ3BKw19!aryp7v3C1h1DuNwpHOOuqhlraGSyMAY KiPEOZAA1OBgsLu*Sa0UQ2my0PiFyvNkJ5K7Clsoy7yNtEvOXY nHDuPNiotpZACY2oJxw/aircraftround.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 11:42 AM
Good decision. Don´t get me wrong stereo3D is awesome but it just don´t work well on ATI cards since the crappy support for it.