PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY found BoB movie dvd wiht featurettes on making of, new and old stuff. WOW...

Enforcer572005
01-21-2006, 08:31 PM
I know you guys in europe have had this thing for a while, but i just found the "collecters" edition of the dvd of "battle of britain"....and it has a bunch of great stuff about the movie.

I know manyof you have this, but i remember several of us could only find the version wiht just the movie on it (got that for $14 at kroger store).

In K-mart I found this version....2 discs instead of just one, and it has 4 featurettes that are priceless, both old and new.

One is a fairly long one made in 69 narrated by michal caine, which I remember seeing when i was a kid (no VCRs back in 69). THis is what turned me onto the movie and i made my poor grandmother sit thru it twice (you could do that back then-did the same thing to her with "patton").

THis also has some new material and interviews in 3 others ....one about the battle of makeing the battle...about all the problems and effort, and the battle itself and how each historcal portion was recreated and portrayed. Pretty hairy stuff they could never get away with now....one of those huge formations of all 4 types of AC forming up over those huge cloud banks ran smak dab into a flgiht of 4 Vulcans coming up thru the clouds and thru them http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif. neither knew the ohter was there. they all called it a day so they could "change their underwear". Lots of interveiews wiht surviving directors, one actress (Susanah York aint what she used to be, but she's trying), and some vets. Pricelss stuff wiht Tuck and Galland, and Hugh Dowding. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

THeres another about the technical accuracy and how they got the planes, models (half scale RC stukas-they dont mention hte scale but tahts what they were), and the mock ups being built and blown up. LOTS of outakes you never saw (low level He-111 pass on one engine etc), plenty of background info....absolutely fascinating. Also has an interview wht a spit pilot who was shot down over germany later in a typhoon.....priceless. The b-25 camera plane, the camera angles, the amazing dangers those people faced and risks they took.The new stuff was filmied in 2004....it was $20 but worth it.

Did ya notice that htye were filming alot of the air combat over huge cloud banks of bright white clouds? they had to do that so that they could see teh planes...and they had to go all over france and spain, as well as england, to find decent weather.

the director said he knew they had succeeded when at the premier ALL the members of a fighter pilots assoc and vets stood and applauded...... the best military avaition movie ever made in my opinion.

Just thought id mention it for those who were trtying to find it but it wasnt in their area...check k-mart. (USA-Georgia).

Enforcer572005
01-21-2006, 08:31 PM
I know you guys in europe have had this thing for a while, but i just found the "collecters" edition of the dvd of "battle of britain"....and it has a bunch of great stuff about the movie.

I know manyof you have this, but i remember several of us could only find the version wiht just the movie on it (got that for $14 at kroger store).

In K-mart I found this version....2 discs instead of just one, and it has 4 featurettes that are priceless, both old and new.

One is a fairly long one made in 69 narrated by michal caine, which I remember seeing when i was a kid (no VCRs back in 69). THis is what turned me onto the movie and i made my poor grandmother sit thru it twice (you could do that back then-did the same thing to her with "patton").

THis also has some new material and interviews in 3 others ....one about the battle of makeing the battle...about all the problems and effort, and the battle itself and how each historcal portion was recreated and portrayed. Pretty hairy stuff they could never get away with now....one of those huge formations of all 4 types of AC forming up over those huge cloud banks ran smak dab into a flgiht of 4 Vulcans coming up thru the clouds and thru them http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif. neither knew the ohter was there. they all called it a day so they could "change their underwear". Lots of interveiews wiht surviving directors, one actress (Susanah York aint what she used to be, but she's trying), and some vets. Pricelss stuff wiht Tuck and Galland, and Hugh Dowding. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

THeres another about the technical accuracy and how they got the planes, models (half scale RC stukas-they dont mention hte scale but tahts what they were), and the mock ups being built and blown up. LOTS of outakes you never saw (low level He-111 pass on one engine etc), plenty of background info....absolutely fascinating. Also has an interview wht a spit pilot who was shot down over germany later in a typhoon.....priceless. The b-25 camera plane, the camera angles, the amazing dangers those people faced and risks they took.The new stuff was filmied in 2004....it was $20 but worth it.

Did ya notice that htye were filming alot of the air combat over huge cloud banks of bright white clouds? they had to do that so that they could see teh planes...and they had to go all over france and spain, as well as england, to find decent weather.

the director said he knew they had succeeded when at the premier ALL the members of a fighter pilots assoc and vets stood and applauded...... the best military avaition movie ever made in my opinion.

Just thought id mention it for those who were trtying to find it but it wasnt in their area...check k-mart. (USA-Georgia).

berg417448
01-21-2006, 08:44 PM
I have something that might make an interesting companion to that. Back in 1970 or so , I bought a paperback book called, "Battle Of Britain the making of a film" by Leonard Mosely. Lots of interesting background stuff about that movie.

Enforcer572005
01-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Yes, I once (for several decades) had an air classics issue (back when it was alot better) that was all about the movie, had 2 he-111 on the cover. dunno where it went, maybe in my boxes of tons of magazines-was a 1970 issue. thats where i learned of teh 1/2 scale RC stukas,,, as they had a photo of one. ive seen several ohter books over the yrs, but was too broke at the time to get one (sorta like now).The movie making is almost as fascinating as the battle itself.

panther3485
01-21-2006, 10:49 PM
From 'Hell's Angels' in 1930 until the present day, few movies featuring aerial combat have been able to equal this 1969 classic. If you counted an honest 'top 5' on the digits of one hand, surely 'Battle of Britain' would have to be one of those five.

Not perfect, but among the few that have come anywhere near it IMHO.

Yeah, I've got the 2-disc special edition and I think it cost $19.95 (Aust). Worth every darn cent and a worthy addition to my collection.

P.S. Susannah York filled a mean pair of knickers in 1969! My perception was, however, that she had to play the part of a horribly shallow character in that movie. She played it well, but I'm sure she's not like that IRL.

Best regards,
panther3485

major_setback
01-22-2006, 02:39 AM
Right. Thanks, I'll get this. I saw it a couple of months ago in a cut-price store a few miles from where I live for 100 SEK (13 dollars). I hope they've still got it.
I was wondering what the second disc would be like. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Enforcer572005
01-22-2006, 11:02 PM
yup, she sure did fill those knickers....man did she. BLast if i can think of anything else she was in though.....just cant remember i guess. she really needs a new hairdresser these days. got the same smile though. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

sad how many of those actors and advisors (nearly all of em) are dead now.

there was a ton of outake film, i just wish some of that was availible on dvd. the disk also had a small feature on still photographs taken and how they did it.

you could tell from the outakes on teh second disk that there was alot more stuff filmed and some pretty advanced scenes were cut from the final movie. i wish htey had a directors cut, like thyey do so many movies now.

Low_Flyer_MkII
01-23-2006, 12:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by berg417448:
I have something that might make an interesting companion to that. Back in 1970 or so , I bought a paperback book called, "Battle Of Britain the making of a film" by Leonard Mosely. Lots of interesting background stuff about that movie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that book well - fascinating insight into how those air to air scenes were shot using a B-25.

The double DVD set is well worth it if anyone hasn't made their mind up yet. I've got to say that the ground scenes in the film look dated though, sixties hairstyles an' all that; would love to see it remade, keeping the original airborne action....impossible, I know.

EPP_Gibbs
01-23-2006, 12:45 PM
One of the sad things was, as the head of the aviation filming unit pointed out, that they were learning how to get the shots as they went, and they really only cracked it as filming finished!

Stuff they were doing wouldn't be allowed now, really hairy aerobatic stuff, close passes, aircraft roaring over camera crews' heads with about 3ft to spare, etc.

The fleet of aircraft they assembled for the film made it the 35th largest airforce in the world! Every available flyable Spitfire and Hurricane were used and the 109's and He111's were Spanish airforce. The 109's were 'Buchons' Merlin powered, ironically enough.

Fabulous achievement. They didn't have to persuade the actors to take part, they all stepped up and volunteered.

major_setback
01-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Someone posted a really good link to an interview with one of the films pilots a while ago. Could someone post that?
I tried googling it...found this instead on the making of the film at Duxford:
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/place/gdg18/battleofbritain.shtml

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/place/gdg18/mitchell350.jpg

Note the large perspex hemisphere on the front of the Mitchel - installed for filming.

Low_Flyer_MkII
01-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Nice find, Major. The shots from the making of now evoke a certain nostalgia of their own, I must be getting old...