WTE_Galway
05-31-2006, 06:07 PM
http://www.afa.org/magazine/may2006/0506edit.asp

WTE_Galway
05-31-2006, 06:07 PM
http://www.afa.org/magazine/may2006/0506edit.asp

WWMaxGunz
05-31-2006, 08:33 PM
I would hate to be on a battlefield with beancounters running my side of the show.

"Where's the ammo?"
'Well, command adopted a JIT doctrine and there have been unanticipated delays....'
"Replacements?"
'Well, they're also downsizing and you are salaried so think of it as unpayed overtime.'

Blottogg
06-01-2006, 03:41 AM
Take the gloom and doom of the Air Force Association with a grain of salt. They're always beating the drum for a bigger AF budget (which is their job, after all), even though their arguments can sometimes be forced, or one-sided.

Having said that, the Air Force (and DoD in general) has to get its procurement and development programs under control. The Darleen Druyen scandal over tanker procurement is over (she's even out of jail, IIRC), but the system is so convoluted that sneaking a shady deal through is too easy for a career insider, pork abounds, and development takes WAY too long. The F-22 is a great weapon to fight the cold war, which last time I checked ended a decade-and-a-half before the F-22's IOC. At least it will come in handy in China or North Korea in ten years. I don't see it replacing the F-117 though (too small a weapons bay.) Reserve that duty for the F-35.

leitmotiv
06-01-2006, 03:52 AM
I was interested to note in another defense journal that Rummy's plan to go at full speed into unmanned bombers hit a road bump: the "unmanned aerial vehicles" as a category have an atrocious crash rate far worse than manned aircraft.

Aardvark184
06-03-2006, 10:07 PM
As an F-117 crew chief (until two years ago when I joined the commander's staff) I can tell you for sure that the 117 is going away here at Holloman, and the Raptor is replacing it. We expect to have our first 22 on station by November at the latest, and the whole fleet will be replaced by 2008. Thank god that stupid black jet is FINALLY getting put to bed.

Tim

FritzGryphon
06-03-2006, 10:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thank god that stupid black jet is FINALLY getting put to bed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What, you don't like the tiny, unarmed, subsonic stealth 'fighter'?

Just because a Spitfire could kill it doesn't make it bad.

Aardvark184
06-03-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm not a very good crewchief, I'll admit it (because my attitude went into the toilet). I worked on the stealth for about 4 years before I moved to staff, and believe me the opinion of the majority of maintainers here are very very happy to be getting rid of those things.

Tim