PDA

View Full Version : A subtle problem?

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 09:12 AM
Hi,

I just installed a Raptor HD and did a re-install of all the rest, including going back to 3.4 Cats as suggested. Everything went fine and I loaded FB again and used the Black Death to bench it as usual. Again no problem. Then I installed the 1.1b patch and re-ran the Black Death and noticed a subtle difference which I can't explain.
In version 1 there is a point where the lead IL2 gets a largeish piece of the trailing edge of it's left wing shot off, just as the bomb run commences, BD users may recall?
In version 1.1 that never happens, and there are other differences - like when the bomblets are dropped and the view pans back, I can see the impact of the bomblets that didn't hit a hard target. The other most noticeable "changes" occur around the mid-air collision near the airfield. In version 1.0 the Axis plane's prop stops turning just before the impact - in my new version it doesn't; the wreckage rains down into the water, but the pattern is different - two late splashes instead of one and more wreckage hits onshore.

I know this must be code-related but I'd like to know whether I have a corrupt down-load or not. I did re-install FB and the patch again after I first noticed it, and used a different site for the patch download, but the changes are still there. Anyone else noticed this???

Cheers,

6BL-Brando

Stuff the fugitive....here comes the one-armed man!!

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 09:12 AM
Hi,

I just installed a Raptor HD and did a re-install of all the rest, including going back to 3.4 Cats as suggested. Everything went fine and I loaded FB again and used the Black Death to bench it as usual. Again no problem. Then I installed the 1.1b patch and re-ran the Black Death and noticed a subtle difference which I can't explain.
In version 1 there is a point where the lead IL2 gets a largeish piece of the trailing edge of it's left wing shot off, just as the bomb run commences, BD users may recall?
In version 1.1 that never happens, and there are other differences - like when the bomblets are dropped and the view pans back, I can see the impact of the bomblets that didn't hit a hard target. The other most noticeable "changes" occur around the mid-air collision near the airfield. In version 1.0 the Axis plane's prop stops turning just before the impact - in my new version it doesn't; the wreckage rains down into the water, but the pattern is different - two late splashes instead of one and more wreckage hits onshore.

I know this must be code-related but I'd like to know whether I have a corrupt down-load or not. I did re-install FB and the patch again after I first noticed it, and used a different site for the patch download, but the changes are still there. Anyone else noticed this???

Cheers,

6BL-Brando

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 11:34 AM
bump

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 11:47 AM
Don't think you have a problem. If you had a corrupt download I think the game would simply refuse to run.

You should see some differences in track playback after the patch, the tracks are not like a film, its a re-synthesis of the same events with new visual effects in the new game engine.

For instance the bomblets dropping on the road, as you mentioned. Before the patch those bomblets just disappeared into the ground unless they hit a target, after the patch you see the same bomblets making a puff of smoke as they hit the roadway. Subtle difference but not a problem.

<center>
http://www.imgmag.org/images/delta9tetra/lurch-avatar.gif

</center>

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 12:25 PM
Brilliant! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I had a hopeful idea that this was the case - thank you for the confirmation! Salute

Brando