PDA

View Full Version : Could this happen again?

Jumoschwanz
05-18-2005, 08:10 AM
The model of the Black Widow in the "Because I feel like being cruel" thread is really a great job.

It started me thinking. There is a good chance the 4.0 will be the last patch for PF before all resources are switched to Bob and other projects. It would be nice if Oleg would turn the games code over to some private venture that would continue it's development but that is just dreaming.

what I am worried about is this:

Will Bob follow the same path as the IL2 series? Will it start out with a few planes for one theater, then add more over a few years in expansion packs, then be dropped as a project in turn before a lot of planes are included to start work on yet another, higher end flight sim?
If this is the case then it might never even have as many planes as PF/FB has now. And the more obscure planes like the P-61 Black Widow will never be flown in virtual skies except in cfs2 where it and many others are avaliable from private modelers.

The reason for the high quality of this sim is the control it's creators have kept over it's code. I just think it would be nice if the project could be handed over to some competent and interested individual when Oleg and Ubi no longer are interested in it's furthere development. S!
Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz
05-18-2005, 08:10 AM
The model of the Black Widow in the "Because I feel like being cruel" thread is really a great job.

It started me thinking. There is a good chance the 4.0 will be the last patch for PF before all resources are switched to Bob and other projects. It would be nice if Oleg would turn the games code over to some private venture that would continue it's development but that is just dreaming.

Will Bob follow the same path as the IL2 series? Will it start out with a few planes for one theater, then add more over a few years in expansion packs, then be dropped as a project in turn before a lot of planes are included to start work on yet another, higher end flight sim?
If this is the case then it might never even have as many planes as PF/FB has now. And the more obscure planes like the P-61 Black Widow will never be flown in virtual skies except in cfs2 where it and many others are avaliable from private modelers.

The reason for the high quality of this sim is the control it's creators have kept over it's code. I just think it would be nice if the project could be handed over to some competent and interested individual when Oleg and Ubi no longer are interested in it's furthere development. S!
Jumoschwanz

johann63
05-18-2005, 11:20 AM
interesting point

makes me think of Janes WWII fighters and how long it has continued from the talented efforts of individuals.

I would guess legitimate commercial issues come into play promoting a newer game for new sales if you released and older game as open source at the same time or before. Maybe after BoB is release for awhile it could be supported by Maddox.

Thats also goes in line with folks who still have older computers and are not keeping up with the latest hardware.

my own two cents

J_Weaver
05-18-2005, 11:47 AM
It would be nice to see the development of the IL-2 Series turned over to a competent party for further development. But only if they would keep the standards up to Oleg's level. This is the only way to do it. It would be a disaster to open up the game to 3rd party modding. But further development in the hands of someone who would keep the standards of the game as high as they are now would be great. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DRB_Hookech0
05-18-2005, 12:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J_Weaver:
It would be nice to see the development of the IL-2 Series turned over to a competent party for further development. But only if they would keep the standards up to Oleg's level. This is the only way to do it. It would be a disaster to open up the game to 3rd party modding. But further development in the hands of someone who would keep the standards of the game as high as they are now would be great. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you are wrong here. While i will grant that opening up the FM/DM data would cause havok on the online servers (and really....do we need Corsairs with 50 mgs on them?....no)....how would it be a disaster if things like objects (I mean buildings and such...not 200 gun flak batteries) and maps could be produced and added into the game? Did quality mods hurt or vastly improve Ghost Recon? In my experence they improved it whole heartedly. FS9 is yet another example of responcible mod-ers doing amazing work.

If soem item is not up to your standards....then no one is going to force you to download it and install it are they? If a server is using a user made map set and you dont have it...you can :

a) Get it
b) not get it and move on to a different server.

Again from my experence...good mods will rise to the top and stand on their own merits....the junk is mainly discarded like chaff.

Bearcat99
05-18-2005, 01:32 PM
The thing is te code is probably all related... and opening up one aspect could open the door to crack the essential stuff. Or if the BoB code is based on this one..... well you can see where I am going with this. I dont think Oleg will ever totally abandon the sim. I think he will use it as a testbed for BoB, which is fine by me.

To compare FS9 to this is apples and oranges. FS9 doesnt bring out the natural competitiveness in this a predominatly male pastime like FB does. If the code were opened you can bet that cheating would become rampant. Look... you cant even get people to keep a beta patch under wraps. Faithful in little... faithful in much. Unfaithful in little......

Id love to see it but who can he trust?

DRB_Hookech0
05-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Bearcat....I was not comparing FS9's base type game to the IL2 series. What I ment was that if say you wanted to have Bodney or Thorpe Abbot to fly a P51 or a B17 out of and they dont exist...or they only exist as a modern airfield, then you can go in and with some effort build it up to be as it was in say 1944.

I agree that you could not open the core DM/FM of the existant planesets....that WOULD be a horrific thing. And maybe your correct about the coding of the objects relating to everything else....yes that could be a problem.

But as far as the map thing goes. I'd be willing to just have the ability to only add the terrain with no built in objects. We pretty much have everything we need in the FMB....all we need is the pallet to place it all on.

FoolTrottel
05-18-2005, 03:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:

Jumoschwanz </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jumoschwanz,

It could certainly happen again.
Read about the boss's plans for Bob here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63110913/m/9541072703/r/3831096803#3831096803)

But, will Bob be dropped? (Like PF, as you are assuming ... and you could be right)
Yes, once Hardware development has taken the next step, and software development has taken it's next step... But, if it happens again, who cares?
We'll still have the old stuff (assuming it'll run with newer HW/SW http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) ánd have the new stuff!

No problem!

Have Fun!