PDA

View Full Version : Important issues

Tobak
02-09-2006, 06:31 AM
With the hopefully soon arrival of the patch I would like to ask for your opinions about problems in the current version of PF+FB+AEP (V.4.02m)

1. I posted a discussion months ago about the problem with the AI concerning giving orders to other flights than your own. I mentioned that you cannot give specific orders to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th flights, namely if you want them to follow you off course they won't do it. So you cannot control more than one flight, whatever your rank is. It limits your optons, and you can't make normal FMB missions with squadrons consisting more than one flight in which you want to control the squadron. (You cannot set your rank in FMB.)

2. Still AI.
AI planes used to be much more effective in former versions. A few example: Stukas were much more accurate (Now only 1 Stuka out of 9 hits a slow-moving ship in dive bombing (even if they are set to veteran or ace, and I've tried different altitudes and approaches); AI fighters attack bombers dead-behind, exposing themselves to the enemy gunners' fire, who knock out their engines from some 700 meters, while in former versions they climbed above the bombers and finished them off in a single dive-attack; in a dogfight an enemy fighter starts to ascend, your wingman follows it, and there is no way you could call your wingman back, so everyone starts to climb until we hit the stratosphere, and it is a little bit boring; planes even with veteran rank use the spray-and-pray tactic vehemently, and when they run out of ammo, they simply turn home and wave good-bye to you unless you call them back, but they are no use to you without ammunition, aren't they?)
In these cases if you change skill it doesn't help, same thing happens all the time. FMB settings are made properly, so that's not the problem.

3. Spitfires
If I remember correctly someone has already posted a thread about the severe deterioration of Spitfires over the last patches. No radiator, no Combat and Take-off flaps, and when you press the trigger of a Mark IX, the two 20mm cannons shake the plane apart, making accurate aim impossible. I've tried it with different speeds, so that's not the problem again. I used to fly Spits a lot, but now...

4. I know that this is an old tale again, but. I would like to fly constantly with no icons "on", but the AI planes see everyone even if their enemies are far away (3-4 kms)under them. The program should use some kind of percentage table to decide whether they see you or don't based on visibility conditions, range, difference in altitudes etc.
Same thing with clouds, your enemy can hide in there, but you can't.

These issues are on my mind since the arrival of V4.02m. I'm not demanding new planes/ground objects/weapons/maps, but instead I'd like to see these things corrected. (It would have been better to make patches and add-ons separately). Unfortunately I'm pretty sure, that most of these things will only be fixed/corrected in BoB. Anyway I'm curious about your opinions. Cheers

Philipscdrw
02-09-2006, 07:30 AM
I think the Spitfire didn't have combat or takeoff flap settings in real life. The AI use them, but that's due to a limitation that can't be easily removed from the core code. Are you sure the Spitfire should have an adjustable radiator?

I think that most of the problems that you list are due to the Il-2 program becoming much, much bigger than it was designed to be. The game was essentially about the Il-2 Shturmovik aircraft, flying in small groups (or many small independant groups?), attacking tanks and fending off Bf-109s. Things like the radio command system and parts of the AI reflect this heritage, I think, and can't be fixed without re-writing large parts of the program. Hopefully BoB will have a much improved architecture which will solve many of these problems.

gbollin
02-10-2006, 12:29 PM
If you want to control the flaps on the
Spitfire map akey or joystick switch
to the Hotas section of the controls area.
I have throttle from my ch stick mapped to
control my flaps.

BuzzardHead
02-10-2006, 02:10 PM
The spit did not use flaps on takeoff.I don't think the hurricane did either.

SlickStick
02-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Tobak:
3. Spitfires
If I remember correctly someone has already posted a thread about the severe deterioration of Spitfires over the last patches. No radiator, no Combat and Take-off flaps, and when you press the trigger of a Mark IX, the two 20mm cannons shake the plane apart, making accurate aim impossible. I've tried it with different speeds, so that's not the problem again. I used to fly Spits a lot, but now...

Firing the cannons does make the plane YAW a bit strangely and wildly at times in V4.02m, I agree. I felt the Mk. VIII CW was the worst offender and the most unstable of the Spitfires in V4.02m.

My initial flight with V4.03m last night was very stable in the gunnery aspect and I think that these two lines in the ReadMe for V4.03m explain why:

Increased damping factor for the ball indicator.
Minor changes in reaction of the controls.

As for the auto radiator, both the Mk. IX and Mk. VIII (which came after Mk. IX) had automatic radiators. This is modeled correctly in-game. Older Spitfires like the Vb and Vc have manual radiators, which is also correct.

Also, as has been posted, if you map flaps to a rotary or slider, you can set flaps anywhere in-between all the way up or all the way down. You just won't see a HUD indication of where they are set, so you have to "feel" where they are set.