PDA

View Full Version : DGen campaigns don't work on Pacific maps

antifreeze
03-04-2006, 07:35 AM
For any Pacific campaigns:

The first mission generates.
I fly it.
Pressing 'refly' or 'accept' makes the computer beep.
The next mission is not generated; briefing and map are blank, and the computer beeps.

The mission.ini lists this:
[list]
50401-0.mis
end.mis

My Dgen error log shows this:
= DGen 4.0.4.5 (20/02/06) =
seed: 13197187
===== 0 =====
does not exist
-------------
MaxBomberSkill=2
Distance=50 km
Length=VeryLong
AI=Hard
Missions=Hard
AirIntensity=High
GroundIntensity=High
SlowFire=95.0
PromotionRate=30.000000
Daemon: Can't open

My upgrade route was:
FB
AEP
PF 1.0 merged
303m (which adds DGen campaign files)
401m (which adds DGen campaign files)
402m
403m
404m
Dgen 3043 (which adds Dgen campaign files)
Dgen 3045

Any ideas? Thanks.

Nimits
03-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Hmm . . . Is that the complete DGenError.log, because I have never seen one like that. How do the Euro Campaigns work?

antifreeze
03-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Euros seem fine.
I'll delete the logs that I have and attempt another campaign, to try to generate the log again.

antifreeze
03-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Nope.. same again. I took off, flew for ten minutes until meeting the enemy, shot down three, headed back to the carrier, nice landing. Then on 'accept', or whatever the button says, the computer beeped. On pressing fly, it beeped again and there was no map or briefing.
The log reads:

= DGen 4.0.4.5 (20/02/06) =
seed: 30712531
===== 0 =====
does not exist
-------------
MaxBomberSkill=2
Distance=100 km
Length=VeryLong
AI=Hard
Missions=Hard
AirIntensity=High
GroundIntensity=High
SlowFire=95.0
PromotionRate=30.000000
Daemon: Can't open

If it is of any significance, some of those settings aren't the ones in my conf.ini
thanks for any assitance.

antifreeze
03-04-2006, 12:55 PM
I tried again, and got a more substantial error log (called DgenERROR2.log). The only part in it that shows something wrong are these lines:

Inherits operations from DGen\opsGuadal1.dat
MissionDistance set, testing DGen\Guadal1Red0.mis
Can't open!
MissionDistance set, testing DGen\Guadal1Blue0.mis
Can't open!

I had a look, and I certainly don't have those .mis files anywhere in the DGen folder. Although I followed the upgrade path posted in a sticky on this forum, it looks to me as though I've missed some DGen files?

Nimits
03-04-2006, 01:49 PM
No, DGen not finding files ending in 0.mis is normal; they are only the short distance versions of carrier campaigns. Most Pacific campaigns don't have them. DGen looks for them, but if it can't find them, then moves on.

Frankly, you got me stumped. You might try reverting to whatever version of DGen was working previously, to see if it's DGen itself that was bugged. Maybe you got a bad download? Have you tried all Pacific campaigns (RAAF, RN, RAF, Dutch, IJAF, IJN USN, USMC, USAAF, fighter and bomber versions), to see if its a certain nationality or plane/mission type that's screwing up?

Besides that, the only thing I can think off is reinstalling the whole game, not something I'd lightly recommend, since it can be a pain . . .

antifreeze
03-04-2006, 02:44 PM
You might try reverting to whatever version of DGen was working previously

I don't know which version was working previously. I haven't tried any of the pacific campaigns yet. I rolled back to the verison of DGen which comes with the 402 patch (version 4009), but the same thing happens.

I may try to get one of my mates to ftp me a copy of their DGen folder. Thanks for your help Nimits.

CombatAce_MK2
03-04-2006, 04:16 PM
download this and install it(it takes less than a minute to register for the site):

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=2032

Then if you wish, download this and install it (much much better than anything else that has been made for pacific Fighters)

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=2056

That should give you the most up to date files and DGEN.

antifreeze
03-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks, but that didn't work.
In addition, I got a friend to zip and send me his Dgen folder. That didn't work either. Looks like it isn't the Dgen folder that is broken. I've tried several different versions of DGen.exe too. Are there any other files that DGen needs in order to create campaign missions?

It's driving me crazy. Everything looks fine. All the campaign files look great. Everything is good, right up until I click the 'quit mission' button. Beep. Then 'apply'. Beep and then a blank mission screen. If I click 'fly', the there is an error 'map not found in mission file'. Of course not... there *is* no mission file generated!

Grrrr... why only the Pacific campaigns... thats what I can't figure out!

Nimits
03-05-2006, 05:29 PM
It sounds to me like something might be buggered in the game itself. Maybe a corrupted patch, or a Pacific Fighters patch on a merged install? Reinstalling from scratch might be your best option . . .

CombatAce_MK2
03-05-2006, 06:47 PM
I once made the files under "User" read only and it cuased something similar. I just use that as an exmaple of something wacky. Make sure you did not do anything out of the ordinary like that. When you go to quit mission DGEN has to write to a few files etc. It seems that is where the problem is.

What 3rd party add ons are you also using? Stab? DCG? Etc...

tagTaken2
03-05-2006, 09:12 PM
When you say "rolled back", are you referring to System Restore? I've found that tends to bugger the campaigns in FB/aep/pf, they just stop working.

The beep you refer to, is that like a sqealing sound? I play with headphones, and when I heard it for the first time, it was so loud and painful I almost threw up.

jbunnelle
03-06-2006, 01:10 PM
It's not just the Pacific. I've had this exact same problem twice with the DGEN Italian campaign since its release, typically within the first two or three missions. Mission runs fine. Hit apply. Get a beep. Then blank screen, no map, nada. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. Seems sort of like the old DGEN crashing problem.