PDA

View Full Version : Shell of A Game...Failure of the SHIII development

one.zero
11-05-2005, 12:11 AM
It has been quite a while since the big release of SHIII. I anxiously ordered and received the game to be incredibly disappointed by it's obvious incomplete condition.

While we have seen numerous desperate and ragged patches, the game still was nothing more than a SHII with slightly improved graphics. Of all the things promised...most were not delivered...and those that were, didn't work or or operated very poorly.

I tried to compensate and adapt by constantly downloading the sanctioned patches..and of course the plethora of user generated fixes and mod's (thanks to all you dedicated customer/programmers) you certainly shored up the incomplete job of the developers. While that attempt was futile, I threw up my hands and quit. I just didn't have the time to continue to patch and repair something that I paid and waited to be complete as promised. I am a hobbist, not a programmer.

So, here we are, a good 10-months down the road and I returned to the forum to only find the same situation, a game never finished.

Perhaps I'll return another day in the year to come...perhaps a completed game will exist that I may purchase and play without spending hundreeds of hours in the morass of forums attempting to fix what should have existed and been delivered in the beginning.

While I do appreciate anyone's hard work, life has commitments and accountability, both of which were certainly not observed or met with respect to the release and care of this game...and it's wonderful concept.

W.Irving
11-05-2005, 04:19 AM
Perhaps SSI will have learned their lesson and SHIV will be what SHIII was intended to become. Check back in a year, when it's been released. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Messervy
11-05-2005, 05:56 AM
This game was NOT produced by SSI - (they don`t exist anymore).

BTW: Is it Washington Irwing or Irwing Washington.....inspired by catch 22 Maybe ? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hoatee
11-05-2005, 06:02 AM
SSI made some good games though - one favourite of mine was 'Operation Barbarossa' (this was in the good old pre pc days - when you had to memorize all the rules - pieseez haven't entirely reduced the accusations of 'cheating' though, etc, etc.).

W.Irving
11-05-2005, 10:10 AM
I am sticking to SSI, because the acronym SS is already taken. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I use W.Irving or I.Washington to remain anonymous. I've been using Nemo (for the same reason) for a decade, but that nick was already taken on the UBI forums. It is indeed a Catch-22 reference. Well spotted (you're the first)! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

wnt2rd
11-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Silent Hunter III looks finished to me. It was on a store shelf when I bought it.

The Avon Lady
11-05-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm a happy SH3 mammy!

What's all this talk about having to "continue to patch and repair"? Install the game. Install the 1.4b patch. Optionally install the mods you want. Much like almost any other PC game.

Waiter, no more whine for me!

U-268
11-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Its True that some people are never happy. As for me this game is one of my favorites. Im running improved U-boat mod from realsimulation.com and apart from a few minor glitches in its early days that were addressed in the patches it has been a hoot of a time sailing the Atlantic in the second world war.

wnt2rd
11-07-2005, 02:29 AM
nice **** you have in your mouth in the photo profile. wanna use mine?

one.zero

Just thought I'd share the private message I got from the creator of this thread. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

... Can't even recognize a tongue. Sheesh.

Fekin_Von_dEtRi
11-07-2005, 03:18 AM
What exactly is so broken with the game after 1.4 patch ?.
I have been playing for a few weeks now, and have yet to find anything that I could say spoils my enjoyment of playing.

So, here we are, a good 10-months down the road and I returned to the forum to only find the same situation, a game never finished.

What is not finished in your view ?

JU88
11-07-2005, 03:44 AM
SH3 can pass as finnished, but its certainly NOT polished!

There is so much potential content that could be added to it, but it would take another 2 years to add it to the game.

Like most people Im miffed with the lack of SUB AI, lack radio messages etc. SH3 just doesnt quite make you feel like part of a struggle (battle of atlantic) with you (the player) phycially being the only German U boat out there - is a huge blow to realsim and immsersion.
While there are a few main gripes with the game, there are about a thousand and one knit-picks...

Its minor but I think the game needs alot more eye candy and easter eggs too, more detail on coastal areas, just enough so that the land actual resembels the country its supposed to be. marine life would have been nice, Imagine seein dolphins swinmming along side your boat, or killer wales in the artic.

People generally think these things are unimportant, compared to gameplay issues and mechanics, its low priority but eye candy can be very immersive! If theres more to see, it can have a huge impact, you sail to places you normaly wouldnt go, just to see the wonders of the world, (even if they appear to be badly modelled up close) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif, That all round 'Generic' Look that many sims posess leaves a bland taste in the mouth, and puts many people off them in the first place.
Yes A sims main focus like any other game is great gameplay, But eye candy it good! its secondary, but its does add to a game more than people like to admit..

A freind of mine has a saying...
If you buy a game and its play time against its price works out to be roughly 1 pound/dollar per hour, you got your moneys worth!
Well Ive played SH3 since its release, so go figure.
SH3 is highly playble and enjoyable as it is now, but I hope that the major and minor things that were missing will be included in the sequal.

U-268
11-07-2005, 04:03 AM
Hey JU88 just about everything you have mentioned is in the improved U-Boat mod available at U-BOOT realsimulation.com Check it out. It has milch cows, Port traffic, radio chatter, improved scenery etc etc and it even has dolphins. Im amazed at how it has improved this Game.

JU88
11-07-2005, 04:18 AM
I have RUB, and yes it great, adds load more to game and many of the things i mentioned, but im just saying Modders shouldnt have to finnish/add polish to game, the devs should be doing it! (or the publishers should be allowing + paying the devs to do it!)
Modders have really helped SH3 move towards what it should have been.
The truth is that Developers can learn alot from the modding community.
Also with no SDK availible the modders powers are somewhat limited.

HotelBushranger
11-07-2005, 04:22 AM
Far out...it's just as bad here as it is in the Forgotten Battles forums.

W.Irving
11-07-2005, 04:22 AM
This has been debated countless times.

The fact is, SHIII is lacking too many features. It brings the game further in the 'wrong direction' on the simulation spectrum.

HotelBushranger
11-07-2005, 04:28 AM
A game's a game. Why should it be restricted to guidelines? That would be detrimental to the game, in my opinion: there's less opportunity, variety etc.

W.Irving
11-07-2005, 04:37 AM
Because this game is based on reality, in case you didn't notice. :P
It is intended as a simulative game, otherwise we would have a point-and-click firing interface rather than a complete TDC.

JU88
11-07-2005, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by W.Irving:
It is intended as a simulative game, otherwise we would have a point-and-click firing interface rather than a complete TDC.

Well actually you can have both in SH3, I think the devs did decent job catering for simers and non simers alike, even though there could have be more things to play with for the hardcore bunch, like controlling the dive plains etc.

W.Irving
11-07-2005, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by JU88:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W.Irving:

Well actually you can have both in SH3, I think the devs did decent job catering for simers and non simers alike, even though there could have be more things to play with for the hardcore bunch, like controlling the dive plains etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, and allow for two separate "game" and "simulation" settings. I guess there wasn't any time left, with the move to a dynamic world having consumed most of the resources.

HotelBushranger
11-07-2005, 06:39 AM
I think its a really good toss up between both worlds: as a SHIII novice I can just get my WO to get the solution for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif all hard work done!

W.Irving
11-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by HotelBushranger:
I think its a really good toss up between both worlds: as a SHIII novice I can just get my WO to get the solution for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif all hard work done!

There are more fundamental things missing in the game to make it a good simulator.

oRGyBCG
11-07-2005, 08:20 AM
The problem was that the dev's didn't have enough time to finish what they started.

The more you learn about the game (via modding) the more you notice this.

As a pure game, it's ok and reasonably fun. As a detailed simulation with "pedagogic" value, it's very basic and about 75% of the stock game is incorrectly simulated.

The lesson is that the future of simulation games lies in open-source development!