PDA

View Full Version : Need Help setting up LAN multiplayer

jubears
08-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Ive recently introduced a friend of mine to the joys of IL2 and would love to be able to do some co op LAN with him as playing online is a bit ruff for someone new to sims. The main problem we are having is no matter what we do we cant get the mulitplayer LAN to work ive gone into settings and selected LAN and then he enters my IP and no matter what the game wont show up on his screen to join.

We are using some cheap generic router I had lying around and we are able to ping each others computers and every other game we play works fine. Ive gone and made sure that both of us are not running any firewalls of any sort and we have manually entered the TCP/ICP stuff but still no joy.

Both of us can also connect to hyper lobby no problems but both are unable to host coops and id prefer to just do it via LAN anyway any help you vets can give would be apreciated as my firend is rapidly becomeing disheartened with playing online due to the fact he rarely stands a chance, IM really desparate to get this working as my firend has already invested in the game/joystick etc and Its hard enuff to find someone willing to take the time to learn a sim without loosing them due to technical problems.

WTE_Galway
08-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Seems odd. I assume you cannot host dogfights for each other either.

I would have thought providing you are both on the same MS peer to peer network ( "MSHOME" or "workgroup" or whatever ) and can ping it would just work.

I note you said you are using a "router". Is it actually a router or just a switch/hub ??

jubears
08-04-2010, 08:52 PM
thx for the reply and just a hub to answer your question if its any help im running xp and hes running windows 7

WTE_Galway
08-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by jubears:
thx for the reply and just a hub to answer your question if its any help im running xp and hes running windows 7

Well it could be a Win7/XP issue. Is it win7 pro or home ?

Another thing to check is whether the IL2 is identical on both machines (same patch version, same mods etc) .

JtD
08-04-2010, 10:41 PM
One of you guys has loaded the coop mission already, waiting for the other player to join while in the mission briefing, and the other enters the IP and the :21000 for the port?

(Different game versions shouldn't keep you from joining each other, but you'd be kicked immediately once you joined.)

jubears
08-04-2010, 11:30 PM
yup we both have the game patched to 4.9 and have tried adding the port number aswell both before and after the ip incase we got the syntax wrong still no good i normally host a dogfight server so he can just join once its up and running. Is there any easy mulitplayer setup tools for IL2 i could check out? As for what version of windows 7 hes running i cant remember off the top of my head but like i said all other games work including older ones

rfxcasey
08-05-2010, 07:45 AM
I've had this same issue with a buddy of mine. We're both on the east cost of the US. I'm on DSL while he's on cable Whether he or I host, whether Hyperlobby or direct connect it has always been very hit or miss. One night we can play together just dandy the next we can't. I don't believe it has anything to do with the fact you are running different OS as my pal and I were both on XP. We could both ping one another in hyperlobby as well when using the command prompt. We could see each other online and join one another's game but half the time we would actually connect and the other half not. Every other program we tried worked fine for instance he or I could consistently host games of TASpring but IL-2 wasn't showing us a lot of joy. One thing we could consistently do concerning IL-2 was join the same room hosted by a third party but this was definitely less then ideal as we wanted to start a dynamic campaign. I've also herd that IL-2 does not like firewalls even when you open all appropriate ports. I am behind 2 firewalls actually but I have been able to host off and on and my friend is not behind a firewall but still I have had issues connecting to only him. I connect to everyone else in the world just fine on a consistent basis.

I would like to get together with you so we can try connecting to each other over the course of a few nights for a reliability check. Send me a PM if your interested. If you have Skype installed that would be great if not we can get you set up.

BillSwagger
08-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
I note you said you are using a "router". Is it actually a router or just a switch/hub ??

are there options/settings to port your hub/router?

I had problems hosting until i opened a port for Il2 on my router. This may be something specific to Il2, which is why most other games work fine with out it.

Bill