PDA

View Full Version : Intercepts and Whats your Playstyle

OceanRommel
04-04-2005, 08:33 AM
Ok a few question:

Im new to SH as I begin my carreer I find that I find ships that are generally moving away or different directions. Whats the best method of tracking intercepts and getting the best angle for shots. I dont mind tracking targets if I loose them. Whats the best method to track bearing and speed.
Speed of the enemy ship is where Im having trouble plotting my next move in trying to get into position for a shot especially if its a long range track that I ust do. I enjoy being able to estimate a plot and actually moving my ship to a location and reaquiring the target ship and having a good shot to take...

Now my next question is:

How do most use the time compression, seems that the vast ocean Im using this much more that I anticipated and it gets kinda tedious and takes a way from the adventure plus adds not being able to add the realism factor...?
If you dont use it seems it would take a life time to play one career patrol... Am I missing anything?

There was a thread that had some speed caculation for Knots versus KM but I can find it back, and this had comments on tracking your kill....

Thanks in Advance

mike_w72
04-04-2005, 11:03 AM
I believe 1 knot= 1.83 kilometers.

Generally, a convey will move about 7-8 knots.

with that, you should be able to use the nav tools to "best guess" a location. In a type VII, figure you can max out at about 16 knots; so about 2X the speed of a merchant ship/convoy.

OceanRommel
04-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks mike Ill try using those figures.

Also has anyone seen a good speed and range tutorial on the this forums.

Not sure im doing the range and speed correctly or may not have something in realism checked correctly. When I estimate range using the notepad and adjust the mast height nothing comes up on my range as tho is what was caculated. I have manual check in realism...

Frederf220
04-04-2005, 11:44 AM
If your crosshairs leave the identified ship (it has to be identified and its name on the datapad) then the whole process gets erased.

OceanRommel
04-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Ya I found my problem.

First I need to use my recognistion chart too get it to caculate against a ships data. I remebered reading about this somewhere for manual input.

Now saying that, in the ships recognition manual I see no cargo ships. only warships. Did I miss some part of the manual as if you aiming at cargo type vessels still need that info for manual data collecting.

Dr.Trespasser
04-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Flip through the Nationalities in the Recognition Guide until you get to "Handelshiff" I think, thats the merchants.