PDA

View Full Version : Anti aliasing- what does it do?!

GH_Klingstroem
03-27-2005, 04:37 AM
well?! what should I set it to?! I have a Radeon 9600 and CPU AMD 2800+ and 1gig of RAM...

Fritzofn
03-27-2005, 05:49 AM
Anti-aliasing is a filter that let u see curves , and the jagged lines is ....smoothen out, i belive there is great info on HW sites like Tomshardware.com or tweak sites....

Google is ur friend aswell :-)

JunkoIfurita
03-27-2005, 05:53 AM
I wouldn't reccomend turning on any anti-aliasing on your current setup - not quite powerful enough for the job.

I have an equivalent system (except with a slightly faster processor, but a slower card: FX5700 Ultra), and any anti-aliasing sends the frame rate to the bottom of the well.

But, if you want to experiment, then try setting your antialiasing at 4x. Anti-aliasing is an awesome feature that has been finally properly implemented on the latest cards (NVidia 6800s and ATI x800s) - basically it smooths the edges of all vertices being rendered by the 3D engine - so instead of getting those bitsy, pixellated edges on your objects, you get a smooth edge: the higher the setting, the smoother and more accurate the anti-aliasing - and the more processing power, graphics RAM, and RAM it eats.

Some people prefer a low resolution in-game with anti-aliased edges. That's those with machines fast enough to handle it, anyway.

VW-IceFire
03-27-2005, 06:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JunkoIfurita:
I wouldn't reccomend turning on any anti-aliasing on your current setup - not quite powerful enough for the job.

I have an equivalent system (except with a slightly faster processor, but a slower card: FX5700 Ultra), and any anti-aliasing sends the frame rate to the bottom of the well.

But, if you want to experiment, then try setting your antialiasing at 4x. Anti-aliasing is an awesome feature that has been finally properly implemented on the latest cards (NVidia 6800s and ATI x800s) - basically it smooths the edges of all vertices being rendered by the 3D engine - so instead of getting those bitsy, pixellated edges on your objects, you get a smooth edge: the higher the setting, the smoother and more accurate the anti-aliasing - and the more processing power, graphics RAM, and RAM it eats.

Some people prefer a low resolution in-game with anti-aliased edges. That's those with machines fast enough to handle it, anyway. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually I'd disagree. He can probably turn on 2xAA without much of a performance hit. The Radeon 9500 through 9800 have excellent AA performance in comparison to your FX5700. And 2xAA on ATI cards is generally regarded as good as 4xAA on nVidia cards. The GeForce 6's redress that problem, but previous GeForce's were not as good. This is according to tests done at Toms Hardware and HardOCP so don't take my word for it.

I'd run at 2xAA. That'll smooth some of the jaggies out.

GH_Klingstroem
03-27-2005, 06:28 AM
ok thx guys for good info! will try it out!

GH_Klingstroem
03-27-2005, 06:30 AM
uhm, now where do I change my anti aliasing sertting?! under the ati icon or conf. ini for the game?!

Nubarus
03-27-2005, 06:49 AM
Under the ATI icon.

Flakenstien
03-27-2005, 07:13 AM
~S~ I agree that AA is definatly a necessity, I have a FX5200 and setting any AA cause a frame rate drop. When flying off line in clear weather it isn't bad but online with multiple players I need to turn it off, of course then you end up flying aircraft that look like Legos. lol

Another thing with many Nvidia cards using AA and AF at any setting other than "aplication controled" will cause mouse lag and freeze at times in Java related applications, it happens bad with the FX5200 so uncertain how many other cards it effects, but it is a known problem by both Sun Micro and Nvidia but neither seem to want to resolve it.

~S~

Monson74
03-27-2005, 07:51 AM
I think you can do 2X with your 9600 - I have an FX5700 & I run 2XQ & 2XAF without any frame loss.

Blueknight1964
03-27-2005, 05:34 PM
FX5200 well theres your lego problem....
I have clear pic with good detail with my old
FX5900XT... I dont need AA turned on to see clearly and run the at highest settings available with out stencil buffer turned on and average 60 FPS online as long as there arent any major laggers.

ReligiousZealot
03-27-2005, 11:40 PM
I have an almost identical set up (AMD 3000+, ATI 9600 and 1 gig of RAM ), I run at 2x anti-aliasing with temporal enabled (looks almost as good as 4x) on perfect settings at 1024x768...usually get around 35-45 fps, smooth enough to fit my tastes (and pretty as well :P).

Badsight.
03-27-2005, 11:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JunkoIfurita:

But, if you want to experiment, then try setting your antialiasing at 4x. Anti-aliasing is an awesome feature that has been finally properly implemented on the latest cards (NVidia 6800s and ATI x800s) - basically it smooths the edges of all vertices being rendered by the 3D engine - so instead of getting those bitsy, pixellated edges on your objects, you get a smooth edge: the higher the setting, the smoother and more accurate the anti-aliasing - and the more processing power, graphics RAM, and RAM it eats.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>oh man i wouldnt say that at all

i ran a AMD 1400+ XP CPU based system with a GF4 T14200 set to max AA

average FPS 28 online

& heres AA being implemented 'improperly" from that system :

http://img189.exs.cx/img189/9057/icu8yg.jpg

i dont see how AA isnt doing its job here

Badsight.
03-28-2005, 12:04 AM
with Anti-Aliasing turned OFF :

http://img189.exs.cx/img189/7092/aliased5ng.gif

with Anti-Aliasing switched ON :

http://img189.exs.cx/img189/1791/antialiased4nm.gif

all you guys with over 2-GHZ & a half decent Graphics card should be able to run MAXIMUM Anti-Analising online with over 30 FPS average

without worries

mareis1977
03-28-2005, 12:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Badsight.:
all you guys with over 2-GHZ & a half decent Graphics card should be able to run MAXIMUM Anti-Analising online with over 30 FPS average <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Average is one thing. Min and max is another.

I don't care if I'm getting 60 FPS during the 10 minutes to the target if it then drops to 10 FPS when I start shooting at the plane in my sights.

I'm using a P4 2.4 and an FX 5900, and low AA is acceptable in a 2 vs. 2 offline game, but in campaigns and online, AA is always off for me.

Badsight.
03-28-2005, 12:58 AM
it doesnt need to be

your not going to drop to 10 if you get 60 looking at the ground average

to me , AA is absolutly essential , the planes in the air just look awfull with it off , as bad as not running Mat-Manager with FB

AF on the other hand doesnt do feck all , but does cause a big FPS hit

remember , anything over 30 fps is a smooth game , & my old AMD 1400 averages 34 online (with a ATI-9600 , 28 with the trusty back-up Ti4200) with MAXIMUM Anti-Analising

Qbeesh800
03-28-2005, 02:02 AM

Some people prefer a low resolution in-game with anti-aliased edges. That's those with machines fast enough to handle it, anyway. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are you talking about?!!!
I 've got athlon 1700 xp+, slightly overclocked gf4 ti4200 128mb, 768mb ram and game runs fast with AAx4 with max detail settings, res 1024x768. I tell it runs very fast. I think something's wrong with your stuff.

Beirut
03-28-2005, 04:43 AM
I think the rig mentioned is more than good enough for a bit of AA. It also depends how thick you want to make the flights.

Most of the time I'll fly smaller missions on my AMD64-3000/9800Pro. Maybe six to ten planes, but I'll set the AA at 6X & the AF at 8X and max out all other details in the Catalyst Control Center. Everything looks great and good FPS.

I never fly at less than 4X AA. I just don't like the looks of it.

Mind you, I loaded up the original IL2 yesterday, lowered the settings a bit, Catalyst and ingame, and was flying 150+ plane furballs and it was completely fluid. Very cool! Can't do that in PF.

piloteer81
03-28-2005, 04:55 AM
I'm a big fan of AA and anisotropic filtering. They simply make the game look gorgeous. With perfect mode on and all details set to max with water=2 or 3, I can usually up it to 4x AA and 6x anisotropic without dropping below around 40fps in thick scene, normally around 70-80fps. I consider 30fps the absolute minimum playable, especially for precision flying.

This is where SLi comes in too, better frame rates at higher settings and resolutions, rather than just better frame rates at any given setting.

JunkoIfurita
03-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Hey, hey guys, I'm not badmouthing AA/AS - I think it's a fantastic addition to any game: I just have enough trouble hitting anything when the fps is below 45: the slight 'slide show' feel you get with a 30-something fps really puts off my game.

Mine is a 5700LEQ, which is probably my problem (LE means: terrible terrible chopped down card. Q means 256MB onboard memory).

It's the same reason I use the forceshader1x setting as well. Hey, when I get that Prescott system with a 6800 Ultra I'm sure I'll play with all the eyecandy...until then, I'm just gonna reccomend people with medium level machines make an informed decision between nice lines, or nice frames-per-second.

----

Crash_Moses
03-28-2005, 07:34 PM
I agree that anti-aliasing really does improve the image quite a bit and even an average rig can use it as long as there are no bottlenecks (a good motherboard can make almost as much difference as a fast CPU and gobs of memory).

However, (and I've heard this mentioned elsewhere in the forum) when I have AA cranked up it makes it very hard to see those little black dots in the sky and ground targets until I get up real nice and close. The AA, in trying to smooth out the jaggies, ends up bluring them into the background.

I've heard several people say that they run in 640x480 with the AA off online because they can see the bad guy sooner than the bad guy can see them.

Bring back the dots! (oops. wrong topic. sorry)

CM

S!