PDA

View Full Version : Which Track IR should I get?

sukebeboy
01-09-2006, 05:59 PM
I just renewed my contract for another year and got a nice little bonus so I decided to treat myself to some more RAM and possibly a TrackIR device.

The shop here has the Track IR 3.0 for 9,800 yen ($85USD)
The TrackIR 3.0 Pro for 19,000 yen ($165)
and the TrackIR 4.0 for 22,750 yen ($198.50)

I'm thinking either the 9,800 yen model or the 22,750 yen model.

I really only would use it with IL-2 and BobII WoV (and possibly X3 and I-War 2 if they support it)

Which one would be better for me to get? Also, my left eye is very weak and I cannot see much with it at all. Will this be a major problem?

dieg777
01-09-2006, 07:32 PM
I would buy the TIR4 as it incorperates the Vector Expansion which helps tracking, is smoother than the older versions and has better centering. Although IL2FB does not support the 6 Degrees of Freedom the Vector Expansion is an improvement over the standard 1 dot tracking.

BOB II supports 6DOF so if you fly this then it is another reason to get this facility.

for reviews on TIR3; VE and TIR4 see

http://www.airwarfare.com/AWX/features/index.htm

blairgowrie
01-09-2006, 08:51 PM
What dieg777 says. Track IR4 is their best product so far and has been specifically designed for LCD flat panel screens.

sukebeboy
01-09-2006, 11:08 PM
OK, I have a CRT though. Also, I'm worried about looking to the right as I won't be able to see much out of my left eye. How much of a problem would this be?

Jetbuff
01-09-2006, 11:26 PM
The mapping of head movement is not 1:1. I have mine set up so that looking only ~10? to one side gives me 180? in-game. (most edit points at ~20) Unless you set the speed very low, you will almost always be facing more or less forward.

dieg777
01-09-2006, 11:33 PM
You dont have to move your head very much to move the camera - and the profiles can be tailored to suit your style to narrow the movement, however there will be limits and you may need a small deadband so that the movement is not too jerky when looking straight ahead.
It is difficult to say for sure if it would suit yourself, however if you order direct from naturalpoint there is a free trial-

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/01-store/store-return-policy.html

You could then test for yourself. If you e-mailed them and explained your situation they may be sympathetic regarding postage etc. I dont know how much more expensive this would make it for you but would be worth an e-mail

good luck

ronison
01-10-2006, 01:00 AM
I bought my X45 then CH rudder peddles then the TrakIR 3pro. If I had it to do all over again I would get the TrakIR second, and would buy it first if the game didnt almost require a joy stick.

Now after saying that I would say buy the TrakIR 4 and forget the other two. Yes you spend more money but you will also not have to worry about your product having support stop sooner. Thoes with TrakIR 2 now do not get much support in new drivers and Im sure at some point Im going to be looking at the same while the TrakIR 4 people are still seeing improvements.

You also have a wider field of view with the newer product and with the 6DOF that will be a big plus. You will be able to move around a bit more than someone with a TrakIR 3 and not have the viewer not follow your movements. That being said I will say the 3 does wonders and I have no complaints. I would buy the new one but being I just got mine a few days before they released the next generation I just couldnt give it up.

One word of warning and also advice. When you first get it you are probably going to hate it. Give it a few days before you give up. The geting use to factor is deffinetly worth fighting through. It took me all of 2 hrs to get use to it but that first two hrs I wanted to chuck it through the window. I have read others saying it took them over 2 weeks for this feeling to go but again its woth fighting through.

sukebeboy
01-12-2006, 05:52 AM
My TrackIR 4 just arrived today and I find it works quite well. I was worried that it might take a while to get used to but I found it very intuitive and didn't really struggle with it very much at all.

The only problems I have right now are trying to look back over either shoulder in IL-2 and that the external view axis are reversed in BOB.

Anyone know how to tweak this?