PDA

View Full Version : AC2: And they're off (a gamebreaker?)

inuksuit
01-25-2010, 04:46 PM
I can't claim that I am an excellent AC2 player: i've earned 590 in Achievements and have been trying (repeatedly) to master the "And they're Off" Memory.
Sometimes I have been within 1-2 seconds of finishing... but almost every single time i have encountered a quirk in the gameplay...so sometimes instead of climbing a wall quickly and smoothly, i will bounce off it instead... or miss a jump (inexplicably)...
It does seem to be a problem in the game itself... although perhaps i lack precision in using the controller. In any case, after numerous tries, I am beginning to lose interest in the game...

Some challenges may be difficult and yet still not be interesting...

I would have liked the finish the game and would likely have bought the DLC as well, but i have decided to try just 5 times more... and if there is still no success, i'll be trading it in.

I am interested to know, however, how easy or difficult other players found this particular challenge.

the amolang
01-25-2010, 07:12 PM
I didn't find anything in the game that was really that challenging, most of the waypoint stuff took maximum 3-4 tries, and that was only once or twice...

inuksuit
01-25-2010, 08:25 PM
I am not sure how others dealt with the "And They're Off..." challenge but The Official Guide to AC2 brought my attention (after gate number seven) to using a hanging basket at the corner of a building to shave off valuable seconds on the way to the roof.

Once i followed that advice, i had time enough to finish in good time -- though i still find the controls when Ezio is moving, jumping, climbing, etc. to be less than precise. I am sometimes surprised at where he ends up when i am clearly pointing him in a specific direction.

But... i persevere anyway.

So I have proceeded...

BK-110
01-26-2010, 01:00 AM
The only time I can recall that I had a problem with the controls, was during the Venetian Rush mission. But that was because I didn't yet completely have the controls down and began to rush after becoming slightly frustrated. Now, I can finish that mission without any problems at all. The only problems I've had with the controls other than that were miscalculations on my part.

Sure that you aren't just blaming the game for your own mishaps?

TwinIltani
01-26-2010, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by BK-110:
The only time I can recall that I had a problem with the controls, was during the Venetian Rush mission. But that was because I didn't yet completely have the controls down and began to rush after becoming slightly frustrated. Now, I can finish that mission without any problems at all. The only problems I've had with the controls other than that were miscalculations on my part.

I had precisely the same experience with that side mission. To boot, it was the first race I decided to do (bad mistake) - a lot of frustration ensued.

Inuksuit - For any race you do, first run it the best you can and learn the route as you go. Knowing the position of the next gate is half of the battle won. And They're Off is incredibly linear and with high gate visibility to boot. You will find out how easy that memory is once you run the Venetian Rush side mission.

The issues you described with controls have little to do with the game. Getting familiar with controls takes a while. Once you get familiar with them, you need to pay attention to your button and stick inputs - those are crucial during any of the race sequences. When watching others play, I noticed that many folks just hold down the Legs button and hope for the best - this does not work for races where you have non-linear, non-sequential jumps that often have to be executed dead on in order to save time.

Every single race has an allowance for mistakes. Ergo - slow down a touch and make sure you are giving Ezio precisely the inputs he needs to land where you want him to. Ignore the timer, and instead concentrate on where the next gate is and how to get there.

inuksuit
01-29-2010, 12:55 PM
thanks for the comments....

i persevered and eventually prevailed...now it is on the next challenge.