PDA

View Full Version : PC issue

RPMcMurphy
06-07-2009, 08:15 PM
I have a computer that is about to crash. It says "iminent failure" or something of the sort and windows won't start up. I don't have any windows disks and I am thinking of just buying a new hard drive for it. If I do I will probably have to install the new Windows Vista. My 1946 has worked well on Windows XP.

I am wondering if 46 will work well on Vista.

Any guidence is appreciated in advance.

Thnks. RP off to work.

RPMcMurphy
06-07-2009, 08:15 PM
I have a computer that is about to crash. It says "iminent failure" or something of the sort and windows won't start up. I don't have any windows disks and I am thinking of just buying a new hard drive for it. If I do I will probably have to install the new Windows Vista. My 1946 has worked well on Windows XP.

I am wondering if 46 will work well on Vista.

Any guidence is appreciated in advance.

Thnks. RP off to work.

Ba5tard5word
06-07-2009, 08:19 PM
yes Il-2 1946 runs fine on Vista.

not sure about your other issues... btw Community Help is more of the board for tech help.

ytareh
06-08-2009, 01:10 AM
The "new" Windows Vista!?DONT BUY IT .Besides from the fact that many if not most (but not some-you know who you are !)hated Vista it is about to be replaced by a new operating system called Windows 7 (Seven)Well actually a Google suggests October 22nd release but the Beta/test version is already out and has been used by several on these forums.Buying Vista now would be a very bad idea ...like buying an 'old model' of a car about to be replaced...Im still on XP Pro and will be slow to adopt 7 even ...I tried Vista and went back to XP three times ....It really is utter rubbish (but like I said there will be someone along soon to tell you other wise!)

M_Gunz
06-08-2009, 01:49 AM
You could pick up a copy of Linux just to test the HD with, see if the drive itself is the problem
even if you buy a new HD.

I have one of these, they're cheap. (http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020-OTB&cat=CBL&cpc=CBLbsc)
This little rig lets you easily use spare drives as externals. Store them in the silver bags just fine.

Gammelpreusse
06-08-2009, 02:20 AM
In my expirience Vista is a great piece of software...IF you get the 64bit version and provide it with a sufficiently powered rig (4gigs Ram minimum). Then running IL2 should not be a problem.

That said I'd first check if it's really the hard drive making these problems in the first place.

Xiolablu3
06-08-2009, 03:05 AM
COuld you guys post these tech issues in the correct forum please? Thats community help.

Will leave this one for now but will start moving them from now on.

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Windows 7 Release Candidate is still available to the public and will be good until about lune of next year. Windows 7 retail will be out on October 22nd. I suggest you run the Release Candidate until that time, I am using it full time and it's wonderful.

Ba5tard5word
06-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Vista is perfectly fine, all the complaining about it is really unwarranted. The only real issue is that it's not all that different from XP.

Get Windows 7 if you want though.

RPMcMurphy
06-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. It really helped alot. I will get back with a sitrep when I have my new hd and vista installed with 46. I think I will find a graphics card while I'm at it. I never have bought a graphics card so I am breaking new ground there too. I might as well turn that fried computer into the best sim computer I have ever had.

sry for wrong-forum mods. Won't happen again.

jarink
06-08-2009, 01:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RPMcMurphy:
I have a computer that is about to crash. It says "iminent failure" or something of the sort and windows won't start up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My guess is that you're seeing a message something like "1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure" when you boot. This is a prefailure notification that the error-correcting features of your drive/motherboard are detecting problems for which they are unable to compensate.

You need to replace the hard drive.

I agree with trying Windows 7. Obviously, it's not a long-term solution since the RC will only work until next spring, but it is a "free" version of Windows.

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Windows 7 retail will be out on Oct 22nd, so the free RC until next spring is plenty of time to get the retail version.

berg417448
06-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Vista-To-Windows 7 Free Upgrades Start June 26:

http://www.informationweek.com...?articleID=217800056 (http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=217800056)

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-08-2009, 05:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by berg417448:
Vista-To-Windows 7 Free Upgrades Start June 26:

http://www.informationweek.com...?articleID=217800056 (http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=217800056) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but only if you buy a new computer with vista on it from a participating retailer, or a retail copy of vista from a participating retailer.