PDA

View Full Version : Flicker Vertigo

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 06:37 AM
Just wanted to bring up this. Not sure if this has been discussed before or not. In regards to the aircraft that have the yellow tips painted on the face of the props. On actual aircraft, the props were not painted on this side. It caused the pilot to get flicker vertigo. As it does to me when i try to fly the P40. The same was for polished aluminum props, the faces of them were painted black.

S~ WUAF_Mj_Nug

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 06:37 AM
Just wanted to bring up this. Not sure if this has been discussed before or not. In regards to the aircraft that have the yellow tips painted on the face of the props. On actual aircraft, the props were not painted on this side. It caused the pilot to get flicker vertigo. As it does to me when i try to fly the P40. The same was for polished aluminum props, the faces of them were painted black.

S~ WUAF_Mj_Nug

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 09:41 AM
I have not heard this, but I am now curious. More information soon, NOW!

Thanks.

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 08:04 PM
bump

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Its not just a yellow or shiny color that causes this.

Helicopter pilots are more prone to Flicker Vertigo (spacial disorientation caused by rapid alternations of light and dark shading) than are fixed wing pilots. This is due to the main rotors increased size and slower rpm, even though the rotors are generally painted flat black.

Message Edited on 12/09/0303:25PM by ISU-152