PDA

View Full Version : Whats your impressions of IL-2 Sturmovik 1946?

Da11en47
05-12-2007, 02:06 PM
I have played all of the other IL-2 games in the series. They were all fun but a few things bugged me. I would like to know how the newest release compares.

I mainly play the campaigns and single player.

1. How is the enemy AI? I remember in the past the AI would be dogfighting and when it went in to a turn it couldn't ever score any hits. It would always miss behind.

2. Do they still run in to hills/each other?

3. Anything else?

I want to get back in to flight sims. It's been almost a year.

Da11en47
05-12-2007, 02:06 PM
I have played all of the other IL-2 games in the series. They were all fun but a few things bugged me. I would like to know how the newest release compares.

I mainly play the campaigns and single player.

1. How is the enemy AI? I remember in the past the AI would be dogfighting and when it went in to a turn it couldn't ever score any hits. It would always miss behind.

2. Do they still run in to hills/each other?

3. Anything else?

I want to get back in to flight sims. It's been almost a year.

Skycat_2
05-12-2007, 03:48 PM
In my opinion the AI is better than it was in 4.03m/4.04m and some previous versions. I remember the enemy AI was too aggressive and hated to disengage, even with a smoking or burning engine. Now they turn and head for home under what seems to me realistic circumstances, like damage to thier aircraft or when your side has dropped bombs or left the target area. I may be wrong as its been a while since I've played a serious mission in 1946 ... my notebook computer video driver just can't handle it without crashing.

In the few missions I have played though (like on my tower computer) I didn't see planes crashing into mountains, etc. They still roll and spiral almost infinately and without regards to if a real pilot would black out. I have been able to 'sneak up' on enemy AC more often than I could in 4.03m/4m, and hammer away at their six before they evade. They still have a 'sixth sense' of when you are coming up on them, but it doesn't seem to 'click on' quite as early as before.

All in all, I was happy with 1946 when I could play the campaigns. I had come to a point where I was simply too frustrated with the 4.04m version AI that I gave up on offline campaigns, but 1946 is more playable for me. Even on the 1 vs. 1 dogfights I amuse myself with lately, I think the AI is a more realistic opponent than it was in the 4.04m version. FWIW.

Hanglands
05-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Hi,

I wholeheartedly agree with Skycats first paragraph of the AI in combat. It is improved.

However I have seen a flight of aircraft plummit into a hillside. I fly my DCG campaigns as dead-is-dead, and I waited for 1946 before I started any new ones.
When I got it, I had a yen for flying the Il-2 series all over again, and trying the Il-10 for the first time.

I always start my campaigns at the lowest rank, so spent a lot of time as number 4 in the flight. This gave me the opportunuty of several disappointing occasions to observe a hill on the horizon, in the distance, in the foreground, and burying my flight leaders.

In my experience, the AI is much improved, but still has some charecteristic faults.