PDA

View Full Version : AI skill seems to vary between QMB and CampaignIt seems to me that the skill of the A

Alex199710
05-11-2008, 12:47 AM
It seems to me that the skill of the AI in the Quick Mission Builder is significantly better than it is in the Pilot Campaign even with the same skill settings. I had much harder time shooting down the Bf109s and Focke-Wulfs with my Yak3 or La5 in the Quick Mission builder than in the campaign. Have you noticed the same thing?

Alex

Alex199710
05-11-2008, 12:47 AM
It seems to me that the skill of the AI in the Quick Mission Builder is significantly better than it is in the Pilot Campaign even with the same skill settings. I had much harder time shooting down the Bf109s and Focke-Wulfs with my Yak3 or La5 in the Quick Mission builder than in the campaign. Have you noticed the same thing?

Alex

julian265
05-11-2008, 01:00 AM
I think it's due to to more aircraft being around in campaigns. The AI has less processing time per plane, and each AI plane has its attention split between the other planes around it.

Most of my QMB flights involve just me and a few enemies, hence all of their attention is on me.

In a campaign or a QMB with 4 vs 4 for example, the AI seems pretty useless to me. Downing them is usually just a matter of catching up.

SeaFireLIV
05-11-2008, 06:02 AM
Interesting.

I have to say the opposite. I feel that AI performs better in campaign than in QMB, especially when dealing with multiple targets.

But... I do have suspicions that IL2 is tailored to the cpu power of the PC.

Also, don`t forget, settings for AI in QMB are separate for settings on AI in campaign. You could be playing against expert in QMB, but mostly Rookies in campaign (though survivors do increase skill over time). i`d keep at Campaign a little longer and even check your Campaign AI settings too.

mmitch10
05-11-2008, 08:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So upgrading from my ancient Athlon 2400+ would give me better AI? Interesting. I've been holding off an upgrade for 2 years now waiting for BoB, maybe it's time to just bite the bullet and get something that will properly run IL2.

Nicholaiovitch
05-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Since I am at the "bottom" of the learning curve, I set the QMB for "one on one" and work up from the opposition (AI)selected initially as "average".
However, I have found that it appears AI "learns" each time you "refly" and is an absolute "Bounder" after three attempts or more! Especially if you nail him/her/it in the first attempt. AI's learning curve thus seems far superior to mine. I intend to come back as an AI in my next life!
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

SeaFireLIV
05-11-2008, 10:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mmitch10:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So upgrading from my ancient Athlon 2400+ would give me better AI? Interesting. I've been holding off an upgrade for 2 years now waiting for BoB, maybe it's time to just bite the bullet and get something that will properly run IL2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it`s hard to quantify, but I had a similar system to yours and when I updated AI seemed to be much better in a crowded environment.

mmitch10
05-11-2008, 11:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mmitch10:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So upgrading from my ancient Athlon 2400+ would give me better AI? Interesting. I've been holding off an upgrade for 2 years now waiting for BoB, maybe it's time to just bite the bullet and get something that will properly run IL2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it`s hard to quantify, but I had a similar system to yours and when I updated AI seemed to be much better in a crowded environment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a bit scary. I've been flying offline for about 4 years now, never been tempted by online. I pretty much have the measure of the AI on all settings. Maybe I won't when I do get round to upgrading http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Lurch1962
05-12-2008, 04:38 PM
As for AI being better with a faster comp, I'd think at best it might come down to a slightly faster acting decision tree. I highly doubt that AI will actually perform better maneuvers or become craftier...

And after more than for years of off-line play, I've never had reason to even begin to suspect that the AI "learns". Any differences come down to the vagaries of the tactical situation, even when re-flying the same mission as closely as possible.

SeaFireLIV
05-12-2008, 05:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lurch1962:
As for AI being better with a faster comp, I'd think at best it might come down to a slightly faster acting decision tree. I highly doubt that AI will actually perform better maneuvers or become craftier...

And after more than for years of off-line play, I've never had reason to even begin to suspect that the AI "learns". Any differences come down to the vagaries of the tactical situation, even when re-flying the same mission as closely as possible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well this is going into semantics and interpretations of what a person means by better AI.

For me, if AI acts faster in its decision tree then that`s better AI. I`m realistic about AI and don`t expect it to be Hal on me. I haven`t seen AI do anything actually incredibly different with a better Pc, but it just seems to react better and more in accordance with its wingmen. I have, however noticed the AI make alternative decisions. For instance, chasing me over an airfield, sometimes not. Sometimes turning away when more friendlies arrive. Other times I get attacked by 2 109s then see 2 other 109s that just stay high as if watching to see how I fare. Sometimes they go straight for bombers and ignore me, others not.

Anyway, AI is a very subjective term and could be argued in favour of and against for years.

steiner562
05-12-2008, 05:25 PM
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know why anyone would come to the conclusion that is true,an upgrade on your PC will improve game performance not the AI,they still act like dummies whether you have a pc from 2005 or 2008http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifor any year for that matter.

DKoor
05-12-2008, 05:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alex199710:

Alex </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Do you happen to know what skill setting they are?
Higher the setting, tougher they are to catch http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif .
Planes in question (that you fly) are generally speaking slower than their opposition so that may be the part of the problem.

Another thing... in QMB they have no other objective but attacking enemy fighters i.e. you and your friendlies, your group.
In campaign that may not be the case.