PDA

View Full Version : Facts are not the whole truth

jugent
07-18-2005, 12:14 AM
According to a source given by the Aviation Weekly Magazine the P38L-1/5 LO got these specifications:

Span 52'
Lenght 37' 10"
Weight (empty) 12800 lb (max) 22000 lb (typical)
14100 lb
Armament one 20 mm cannon plus four 50 cal Mg
Plant two 12 cyl Allison supercharget 1600 hp max.emerg. rating
speed 414 mph (~666km/h) max emerg.pwr
Roc 20.000ft in 7 minutes (6168m)@ 17500 lb gross
SVC.CEILING 44.000 ft
Range 450 mi.combat typical; 2600 ferry

But the overall characteristics in this game is also very important, like stability, stalls, E-loss etc etc.
An example of what I want to say;
If an aircraft with a good rollrate stalls easy, the rollrate is of no vital use, because if you are supposed to get out of the roll and into a diver or into a turn, and you stall if you turn more than 25% of normal maximum turn.
The rollrate isnt so important.
If an aircraft with big and many guns jumps and bucks very much, you wont hit with this amazing armament. Than its better with one small gun that shoots with pinpoint accuracy.
There can be a long row of statements here but I think that a reader got the point.

Remember "the higher the G the higher the stalling speed."

AerialTarget
07-18-2005, 12:48 AM
Firstly, those statistics are quite wrong in several ways!

Secondly, what are you trying to say about the P-38 in the game? Do you think that it is overmodelled or undermodelled in undocumented areas such as stall characteristics, nose shake, and energy loss?

Chuck_Older
07-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by AerialTarget:
Firstly, those statistics are quite wrong in several ways!

I agree.

jugent- you may wish to click:
http://www.luxadmin.org/~bhentges/misc/articles/en/p38.html#p38l

These numbers look a lot closer to the real thing to me

JG7_Rall
07-18-2005, 09:57 AM
I don't understand what he's trying to say/accomplish here..

ClnlSandersLite
07-19-2005, 06:15 AM
I think he's trying to say that even with certain "Facts" known about an aircraft, you don't really get a complete picture.

Basically, saying, "SVC.CEILING 44.000 ft" tells you almost nothing about it's performance at any altitude.

jugent
07-19-2005, 03:01 PM
I left the question open deliberately, so people have to think for themselves.

First there are many sources of information about aircraft speed, climbs etc, that sometimes differs a lot.

Secondly there are so many other things that make aircrafts in this game a winner or a looser, for most pilots, like stability, stall recovery etc etc and those things are impossible to say anything about, because only a few players can go from the virtual reality to the physical reality and fly the same plane in both cases and compare.
Finally, don€t take it so hard if an a/c don€t do the things you have read about, accept the game as it is.
If Maddox team want to make a Sunderland that turns climbs and out speed anything, they can do it.
Consider it as joke and have fun.

Chuck_Older
07-19-2005, 06:17 PM
You did make folks think, but they weren't thinking about what you wanted them to consider http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif A+ for concept, C- for execution http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

LStarosta
07-19-2005, 06:19 PM
I think he's trying to fish, but he got his bait out of a standard 25c gumball-type vending machine, hence the poor results.