PDA

View Full Version : i keep on getting lost/ cant keep up with squadron mates

aceonfire123
07-29-2008, 12:05 PM
help when i play campaign i cant find my way lol. i press M for the mini map but its useless cause the map dosen't go with ur airplane so i have to find my airplane on the map (dragging) and i cant find it (map too small). is there anyway easier to navigate. also when i try to fly in formation with ai i cant cause i cant keep up with them. thanks

M_Gunz
07-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Can't keep up after takeoff? Don't point your plane up until you've gotten to good speed.
Stay low until you're moving right along with flaps and gear up. Just because the others
who left before you did are up in the sky don't point your nose and expect to follow them
at speed. Running nose high at low speed is the best way to stay slow. Depending on the
plane you want 300kph or better in no more than a very shallow climb until you are that
fast. Soon enough you will have speed to climb up, don't climb so steep you get slow.
Soon enough you will have to throttle back to keep in formation.

Some other tips are keep the ball centered and stay trimmed as flying with slip slows you down
and flying out of trim does the same. Once you get those right there's engine and prop control,
turn the prop speed down to match reduced power in cruise and your engine will run cooler.
Then of course there's radiator flaps position, supercharger stage changes at altitude and on
many planes your fuel mix changes also at altitude -- all make a difference in how well the plane
runs and engine/coolant heat when you have CEM (Complex Engine Management) option set on.

aceonfire123
07-29-2008, 12:34 PM
many planes your fuel mix changes also at altitude -- all make a difference in how well the plane
runs and engine/coolant heat when you have CEM (Complex Engine Management) option set on.
ok thanks but when i follow behind them and we get into a dogfight and we split up after the dogfight i get lost and i pull out the minimap but i have no idea where i am on the minimap and i get lost lol. so can u help me? thanks

Stingray333
07-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Yo, you can try to hit A for autopilot if your playing the single player campaigns, the autopilot will fly to your next waypoint and/or find the other planes for you.

If your really having trouble you can turn the map icons and waypoint flight path settings to on in the difficulty options, this way you'll see friendly (and enemy) planes on the map, as well as lines indicating where you should fly.

If your flying online, then you'll need to radio in for coordinates from your squad mates and do the best you can to catch up.

What the above posters mentioned about trimming your aircraft is really important. After take off fly level until you get up to a good speed, then using your elevator trim, raise your noise up a bit so you start to climb and then trim your elevator so you hold the desired climb angle without having to pull back on the stick. You'll maintain and/or increase speed, and still be climbing quickly.

Stingray

Uufflakke
07-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Staying in formation with AI is a wellknown issue here. It ís difficult because AI has perfect rudder trim, elevator trim etc. That's what causes an increasing distance between AI and us.

About finding your way on the map. Maybe you should switch off "No Map Icons" and "No Minimap Path" in the Difficulty settings.
You can zoom in and out on the map by rightclicking your mouse on the map.
When your plane disappears from the minimap you don't have to drag. Just press M twice and there you are in the centre again.

mortoma
07-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Uufflakke:
Staying in formation with AI is a wellknown issue here. It ís difficult because AI has perfect rudder trim, elevator trim etc. That's what causes an increasing distance between AI and us.

About finding your way on the map. Maybe you should switch off "No Map Icons" and "No Minimap Path" in the Difficulty settings.
You can zoom in and out on the map by rightclicking your mouse on the map.
When your plane disappears from the minimap you don't have to drag. Just press M twice and there you are in the centre again. It's not a well know issue to those of us who mastered it years ago. In the Dgen campaigns, there are a few planes that have their cruise speed set too high in the Europlanes.dat and PacificPlanes.dat files but the only problems ones I ever knew about are the Spit Vs and the FM2 Wildcat. And luckily you can edit those two files to slow the cruise speeds to a more sane figure.

But other than those two ( maybe one or two more I can't remember right now ) I have been able to keep up for years, and that's includes about 200 flyables other than the ones I mentioned.

Do like M_Gunz suggests and you'll have no difficulty the majority of the time.

mortoma
07-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
Can't keep up after takeoff? Don't point your plane up until you've gotten to good speed.
Stay low until you're moving right along with flaps and gear up. Just because the others
who left before you did are up in the sky don't point your nose and expect to follow them
at speed. Running nose high at low speed is the best way to stay slow. Depending on the
plane you want 300kph or better in no more than a very shallow climb until you are that
fast. Soon enough you will have speed to climb up, don't climb so steep you get slow.
Soon enough you will have to throttle back to keep in formation.

Some other tips are keep the ball centered and stay trimmed as flying with slip slows you down
and flying out of trim does the same. Once you get those right there's engine and prop control,
turn the prop speed down to match reduced power in cruise and your engine will run cooler.
Then of course there's radiator flaps position, supercharger stage changes at altitude and on
runs and engine/coolant heat when you have CEM (Complex Engine Management) option set on. Pretty much what I have been tying to teach noobs in the forums for years but nobody listens. Then then the same people will be back a month or two later whining about not being able to keep up again. Maybe even YEARS later!! But it's easy to do if you know the secrets and know how to fly. Which you summed up as well as I could.

aceonfire123
07-29-2008, 03:02 PM
ok thanks everyone

SeaFireLIV
07-29-2008, 03:22 PM
It`s not difficult to keep up with AI with practise. Sometimes people use jargon that once again fails to recognise that we have rookies here. for example, does our new guy even understand what `keeping the ball centred` means? And what about terms like staying `trimmed` and `prope control?`

Come on guys, the new guys probably don`t know what you`re talking about and are probably afraid to ask.

aceonfire123,

hit the TAB key and go to Tower `Request Vector to target` that will help a bit or if you want to get home request `vector to tower`.

As for keeping with aircraft, M_Gunz is right, but all you need worrying about is not flying too steeply and climb gently. taking off quickly behind your fighters will help too.

Keeping with wingmen after a battle is never easy, even inreal life. You will learn this after time as your awareness improves. for now hit `Vector to target` or `vector to tower` and follow the heading, your wingman will be headed to one or the other.

unreasonable
07-30-2008, 12:14 AM
You should be aware that the AI not only flies perfectly as set out above, but it cheats when it climbs as it uses 110% power and never overheats.

Generally keeping up with AI flying straight and level should be OK, but you should not expect to catch up (both altitude and position) with an AI formation that is climbing towards its cruise height until after it has leveled off, so do not be too discouraged. The thing to do is just keep them nicely in view using the good advice above so that you can rejoin when they reduce throttle. If you think you are losing them turn on your autopilot for a while.