PDA

View Full Version : Feeling blue? Well, this might cheer you up!

Driverman2006
09-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Ubisoft-Reflections said that they ARE working on a new Driver game for the Playstation 3 and XBOX 360. Unfortunatly, there's no info on the game yet. But they did say that it WILL come out for the PS3 and XBOX 360. I got a website to prove it. The rumors of it being for the PS3 only are not true, it will be out for the XBOX 360 too (surprisingly, nothing about it being on the Wii or PC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif).

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=htt...Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.driver-dimension.com/&prev=/search%3Fq%3DDriver-Dimension%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG)

Enjoy!

Assaultmachine1
09-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Thank you, Driverman2006, for the information. As for an even quicker way, I went to the translated page of yours and found the link regarding, that Driver 4/5 will come out on the PS3 & Xbox 360, which even mentioned an employee job as storyboard writer. The link to it is: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90639

We can all now be glad that a Driver game will be available across the two powerful 7th generation consoles. Although it may seem sad that it wasn't announced for the PC nor the Wii, I'll be honest with you that it likely won't work out as well if it is to come out on the PC & Wii, especially if it is done in the same way as with DPL. The later versions of DPL (the Wii & PC version) were worse because of their glitches and the Wii had some complicated controls, so even the more smooth framerate wasn't enough to make the versions better than the Xbox & PS2 versions. Therefore, Reflections should consider a Driver game for the PS3 & 360 only as it will suit these systems more. The Wii may be a unique system, but the wii remote and the nunchuck aren't exactly the kind of controllers that fit every kind of genre for a video game. Maybe it'll be more frequent in seeing developers make games handle well with the Wii's controllers, but for now, shooters are the best at it along with other genres like action-adventure, sports, etc. The more complicated ones that have yet to appear on the Wii include Strategy games of both Real-time Strategy and Turn-based Strategy as well as many racing games. As for the PC, it is a system that can always stick with the powerful consoles and offer good controls, but it may have problems of bugs, such that was seen in multiplatform games including Splinter Cell: Double Agent and, of course, Driver Parallel: Lines, for the PC.

The only way that Reflections should ever work on a Wii Driver game is if they can make it less violent (many kids own a Wii) and offer a different experience that makes the gameplay the huge point and the graphics hardly being the case, but the graphics should look much better than the Wii & PC ports of DPL.

InsaneDriver06
09-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Nice find. Storyboard artist position filled. So they're hopefully going to use IN GAME footage to convey the story, as everytime they use CG cutscenes, I think "Man, if only the game looked that good". And it seems like wasted time to work on all those cutscenes in CG, when it's the game I want to be playing. Rarely do I rewatch cutscenes, in any game. I rather interact with the character than watch it.

Assaultmachine1
09-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Most video games today offer cutscenes that match the gameplay's graphics, so why Reflections always goes to such an approach, especially if it makes the costs seem to go more for CG than the actual game is beyond my knowledge. Reflections, please, don't waste so much money on the CG as this is a video game, not a movie. After all, the whole Driver experience is not about hollywood car chases, it has other things to offer too, so why would you need to make it resemble a movie? If they decide to do such a decision always throughout their development of a Driver game, it may cost them a lot of money, such that they will later not be able to afford doing very much else with the gameplay and overall concept of the game, so it's a very big risk that they're taking if they continue to follow it the same way as they've done in the past. Keep this in mind, Reflections. Even if Ubisoft gives you more money than you got from Atari at making a Driver game, don't take such risks.

InsaneDriver06
09-27-2007, 08:55 AM
That's true about "this is a video game, not a movie". Dragon's Lair for example, by Don Bluth, is a playable movie, so while you're watching, you're still interacting with it to progress the action, despite the limited control options (timing game).

A big mistake for any company is to offer cutscenes, but give the player no way to skip them. Even DVD movies offer the chance to FF to the action. The Two Towers by EA, and quite a few other games are guilty of this mistake, as players lose interest in the game altogether, knowing they have to watch something instead of play a game.

Assaultmachine1
09-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Exactly. Dragon's Lair comes from the Interactive Movie genre, which was popular, but is no longer a popular thing today. This genre focuses on allowing the player to move, but has many cutscenes and limited actions that the player will ever be able to do, so it wasn't a very impressive genre at all. This is why it failed. A genre such as this is definitely not a need for my focus to be on, when in the Video
Game Industry. I will only focus on those that are still alive and especially for those that are today's most popular.

Yes. You make a strong point about the skipping of cutscenes. Although video games may be trying to tell the story and/or give some very unique and interesting scenes to see (i.e. Metal Gear Solid & Final Fantasy), it is not as relevant as it is to play the game, so there should always be ways of making it possible in any game to skip the cutscenes. Those responsible for not allowing you to skip cutscenes are really a bad example of people working on video games, and its kind should not have to exist. Infact, those people should be taught the lesson that will ensure that they will always allow the players to skip the cutscenes whenever they can.

And now you've given me something to think about, IsaneDriver06. I've loved watching cutscenes of MGS3, RE2, RE0, RE1, and other games, doing it more often than needed, but not always. If you think about it, it's wasting one's time and managing time is important, especially for playing a video game. By spending time on the cutscenes too much, you may not master the game sooner than others, so there is no point in doing so. Not to mention the fact that it will keep me from reaching where I would like to have finished a game, instead having taken longer. I will need to use this tip throughout most of my time as a gamer because when I get back to renting games for GameFly, I can't allow myself too long on one particular game or else I won't meet my goals of all the different games that I would find important and love to rent. Infact, I'll try my best to only have myself watch the cutscenes of a video game once, and after that, it's over. If a player already understands what happened in a cutscene, what is the point of watching it again? It seems pointless to me of having to watch cutscenes, over and over again. One time is enough. Only if you didn't understand a specific cutscene or somehow missed it, should you then watch it again.

InsaneDriver06
09-28-2007, 01:59 PM
That's a great point. Developers spend so much time and money on cutscenes, but gamers want to play a game, not watch a movie. Sure, the story is important, but the gameplay more so. When I finish a game, show me a cutscene ending. Otherwise, I don't bother rewatching them.

I think that's one reason I've abandoned turn-based RPG's like FF. Just seems like you're sitting there, pressing attack and watching the character do everything beyond your control. I don't like that when I rather be fighting the battle than watching it.

Assaultmachine1
09-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Yes, game developers spend too much money on cutscenes. I'd even like it if they could, in the near future, be able to make video games with any single use of cutscenes. This was possibly with only a few titles so far. And Kingdom Hearts made the RPG battle system feel better than FF's, in my opinion, as it allowed better interaction with the enemies and you didn't always stand in one place, waiting for the enemy to take their shot(s) at you.

InsaneDriver06
09-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Assaultmachine1:
Yes, game developers spend too much money on cutscenes. I'd even like it if they could, in the near future, be able to make video games with any single use of cutscenes. This was possibly with only a few titles so far. And Kingdom Hearts made the RPG battle system feel better than FF's, in my opinion, as it allowed better interaction with the enemies and you didn't always stand in one place, waiting for the enemy to take their shot(s) at you.

Exactly. IMO, Turn Based RPG battles are like putting one character standing next to the enemy and they take turns hitting each other. Boring stuff. Real fights don't work like that unless in a game of chess.

Assaultmachine1
09-30-2007, 05:21 PM
I've heard that Final Fantasy XIII will offer both the old RPG battle system and a new one, which, hopefully, will be the one as in the Kingdom Hearts games, allowing for free movement. This will most likely be the biggest RPG for the year of 2008, no matter what happens.