PDA

View Full Version : SoW must address multiplayer CV issues:

hi_stik
08-29-2007, 10:56 AM
I would like to see SoW have a modified system of spawning aircraft on aircraft carriers on multiplayer servers. It is maddening to spawn in, and start your takeoff roll, only to have another guy spawn in and blow everyone up. Perhaps a queue system, where guys load up a carrier, but only one is physically allowed on deck at a time, or maybe suspending the damage model (i.e. an "invincible" plane until wheels up), or some sort of autopilot feature, just to get guys off the deck...

I could live with still having static carriers, but it would also be nice to have them moving, so it feels more authentic to take off and land from them...

P.S. also, a catapult system would be fantastic, along with a crash barrier maybe, so carriers can support takeoffs AND landings at once...Not a critical issue, but would enhance gameplay, methinks.

Skoshi Tiger
08-29-2007, 10:26 PM
I would like to see crash barriers to stop landing aircraft. Also planes on the other side to make it interesting if you stuff up!

I think it will be a while until we see carriers! Though a Malta campaign would need them for the first mission!

hi_stik
08-30-2007, 03:59 PM
I guess I have to post something about .50cals, or the P-51, or stupid flare tubes to get any sort of response around here...

FritzGryphon
08-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Is it too much to ask?

Carrier borne P-51s with 50cal launching tubes are a great idea.

A queue system is a bad idea. I like formation takeoffs from carriers. Same with the barrier; it would get in my way when I'm trying to go around.

VW-IceFire
08-30-2007, 04:45 PM
hi_stik...you have to mention all sorts of controversial wonder aircraft from the history books to illicit any sort of response here. Try SimHQ or CWOS for a better response.

Definitely carriers needs to be improved. Given that Oleg said that carriers may not even have been possible without extensive re-writes and they managed to do them anyways suggests that whatever was done to make carriers work is still something of a hack.

I'd like to see some sort of way to have dynamic objects in a dogfight server so that ships, vehicles, and so forth could move (perhaps in repeating patterns) which would solve many of the takeoff issues and then the spawn issue is another good one. Something more intelligent certainly...not sure specifically how it would be done.

Waldo.Pepper
08-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:

Launching tubes - is that a typo? Did you mean lunching tubes instead?

Skoshi Tiger
08-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Is it too much to ask?

Same with the barrier; it would get in my way when I'm trying to go around.

I don't know, I think it would be cool to land while your team mate is taking off!

I supose we need a LSO that we can see from the aircraft.

How about flight deck crew that run away when it looks like your coming in hot.

hi_stik
08-31-2007, 07:29 AM
I almost always play on the Zekes vs. Wildcats server, and while it's tremendous fun to play on, it's a real bummer to get deck chaos. I just earnestly hope that the next game will receive some additional consideration to carrier ops; it really wouldn't take too much time and effort, because it's fairly close to being workable. The main thing is inventing a system that prevents the surprise spawn death.

And yes, I meant lunch tubes, that fire a potato, a flare, and a .50cal API round simultaneously...

ElAurens
08-31-2007, 04:31 PM
And what carriers took part in the Battle of Britain anyway?

Gents it's gonna be some time before we see carriers in the BoB engine.

DoKtoR_TapeWorM
09-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by ElAurens:
And what carriers took part in the Battle of Britain anyway?

Gents it's gonna be some time before we see carriers in the BoB engine.

ah, Hello??? MESSAGE carriers! although, I'm sure it was difficult to land a hurricane on one of thoughs little SOB's.

Skoshi Tiger
09-03-2007, 12:07 AM
I think there was a discussion a while back suggesting that all German carriers were stationed in the antarctic at the time... at the secret German Base... With the Aliens.

From what I understand they are still there... with Hitlers frozen head waiting for the Aliens to clone him.

but I could be wrong.

Dtools4fools
09-03-2007, 08:49 AM
MESSAGE carriers!

Pigeon message carriers they were!

Their FM is quite difficult to do, but as you know Oleg likes to do things right, that's wy SoW takes a little longer to finish....

Bearcat99
09-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Carrier borne P-51s ......are a great idea.

You mean like this? http://star.walagata.com/w/bearcat/p51-sm.jpg

IDF_Raam
09-05-2007, 01:52 PM
If I remember correctly there was such a feature: when a plane on the deck applied chokes, other could pass through him without colliding.
I hope we will get it back sometime.

Bearcat99
09-06-2007, 05:26 PM
That feature still exists. The thing with planes like the P-51.. planes without hooks is stopping them before you roll off the deck.

bigbossmalone
09-12-2007, 05:44 AM
OK, here's my take on how the SOW series should handle carrier ops -
Aircraft will 'spawn' below deck, in the hangar, which would, of course, be fully detailed - then, an efficient ground crew will move the aircraft, say two or three at a time, onto the 'lift pad', which would then take the planes up onto the launch deck.
This should eliminate any 'on deck' incidents, at worst some planes might be damaged bumping into each other below deck, but you'd have your efficient F1-style 'pit crew' to sort it all out. Sounds good to me!
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Skoshi Tiger
09-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Of course any badly damaged planes would just be rolled off the side, saving a conciderable ammount of time. Just need to remember to get out of the cockpit before she goes over! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

hi_stik
09-13-2007, 02:51 PM
I guess you guys don't get on Zekes vs. Wildcats, or Spits vs. 109s much. If the plane is on deck, chocks or not, and you run into it, you're both dead, period. And, you're credited w/ a friendly aircraft destroyed...

I'm not asking for realistic, time consuming carrier ops, with hangar decks and working elevators, that would take a tremendous amount of work and time to A: get it work, and B: be realistic. All that is gravy, and you can live without it. It would be like those ridiculous game intros that software companies love so much. It's neat the first time, but after the 3rd or 4th viewing, you just hit "ESC" to get to the game...

All I'm asking the development crew for the next game w/ carriers (I am of course assuming that SoW or whatever it's called, will have carriers, either in the initial release, or in an addon) is to have work out a method of handling multiple players, using the same deck, to get on and off said deck, with a minimum of fuss, and with great haste. I offered 3 possible solutions for consideration, and was hoping for some constructive criticism, and/or additional ideas.

EDIT: Bigbossmalone, I do not mean to dismiss your idea of the hangar deck, in fact, in single player mode, it would be pretty cool. All I'm saying is, most guys on a multiplayer server want to get up in the air and into action quickly, and fiddling around with tons of taxying and waiting would just be irritating.

bigbossmalone
09-13-2007, 07:22 PM
OK, I see what you're getting at, hi-stik, my relative online noobness shining through there, but - are you sure about the planes crashing, regardless of chocks thing? I was online about two weeks ago (there's that phrase again http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif)
and I personally saw a plane land on a carrier and fly right 'through' another on deck with its chocks on???
I didn't think it was normal, but the others with me said 'thats how it works'?? Confused!
BTW, as for the gravy thing, I can easily do without it, but I do love gravy - not bored of it yet, and I'll be turning 40 next year!!
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
P.S. Your ideas re; catapults, crash barriers etc are top notch ideas. Hope Oleg and Co put some serious extra effort into carrier ops for SOW!!

hi_stik
09-13-2007, 10:43 PM
as for a landed aircraft, I don't know. As for guys spawning at the back, yes, if you hit one, you blow up. It's most frustrating in a Hellcat, because you can't raise the seat to see if anyone's there. Even in the planes w/ rising seats, you still run the risk of striking a guy spawning at exactly the right time, i.e. after you've started your roll.

You MIGHT have been in a co-op. I think it works differently there, BBM.

bigbossmalone
09-14-2007, 02:34 AM
I was definitely in a coop - pretty much the only place I can get in online at the moment,as my 'ping' is normally just over the limit for the more decent servers.

Zoom2136
09-28-2007, 08:45 AM
One way to work around this would be to have an zone where plane cannot be damaged by running into each other...

This could be the spawn location we have now...

Plus keep the chuck thing for landing planes...

This way plane could still be damaged outside this zone that could be limited to 1/2 or 1/3 of the deck...

AG51_Razor
10-02-2007, 02:05 AM
Yes, there is a difference between Coops and DFs as far as the collision model on the carrier deck is concerned. In a coop, you can fly/taxi right through another human occupied plane but not an AI plane. In the DF server, the collision model is turned on all the time for all the planes.