PDA

View Full Version : that girl looks gorgeous, whats the concept of beauty on language

raaaid
02-29-2008, 06:38 AM
in spanish we say of a gorgeous girl she is good

in english they say she looks good

in spanish we mean she is a good person in english they mean she looks with honest eyes

is curious how every language describes beauty relating it with goodness or badness

how do you describe in your language beautifull girls?

Schwarz.13
02-29-2008, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by raaaid:
in english they say she looks good...in english they mean she looks with honest eyes

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

roybaty
02-29-2008, 07:27 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

major_setback
02-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Regarding looks: I might be wrong, but i think that if you said a girl looked 'bad' in English it would man she looked evil.

In Swedish you say a girl looks good (bra) too. You dont say a girl looks 'bad' (dålig), it would mean she looked ill.

'Good' (meaning pretty) is coupled with 'unatractive' as opposite poles of a binary pair - i.e. diametrically opposed properties.
'Good' in the sense of 'nice' has a totally different meaning. 'Good' (nice) is coupled with another opposite - 'evil'.
You are mixing the two 'goods' up, they do not have the same meaniing.

Linguistics lesson: Structuralism - We use diametrically opposed pairs (binary pairs) as a way of interpreting and understanding the world around us. Our language is full of these pairs. A 'mediator' is a concept that links the two opposites. As an example - if 'birth' and 'death' are a binary pair, the 'life' could be a mediator linking the two. As a second example, if 'guilty' and 'innocent' are a binary pair 'justice' may be a mediator.

Worf101
02-29-2008, 07:45 AM
My son, he's 14, says that if a girls "attractive" then "she's beastin'".

If she's unattractive then she's a "beast".

Ah da joy's of youth.

Da Worfster

TheGozr
02-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Well here it's ... La cochonne ou elle est bonne...

leitmotiv
02-29-2008, 02:58 PM
English and American literature is rife with the concept of physical beauty also betokening moral goodness---until the 20th century.

Korolov1986
02-29-2008, 03:53 PM
'American English' way of saying a girl looks attractive:

"I'd hit that."

SeaFireLIV
02-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by raaaid:
in spanish we say of a gorgeous girl she is good

in english they say she looks good

in spanish we mean she is a good person in english they mean she looks with honest eyes

?

Are you fishing?

In England, when we say she looks good we mean she is pretty, beautiful in appearance and also she`s physically sexy in a lot of cases. It can be used to describe her state of health.

If we`re talking about her vision, then we might say, "She`s got good eyes/eye-sight."

And if you mean `honest` as in innocent and straight forward then we might say, "She`s an honest girl" or "She`s honest."

And for major_setback :

When we say "She looks bad...."

Well we only talk like that if she looks unwell or sick, "She looks bad, better get her to a hospital."

If we thought a girl was bad as in wrong doing or `evil`, we might say something like, "Don`t like the look of her" or "She`s bad news/ she`s dangerous."

If we thought she was ugly or unnnatractive and usually only in men company, we`d say pretty much the standard stuff, "She`s ugly / shame about the face/ looks like a bloke! " etc... There are plenty more.

Pretty simple stuff really.

Stew278
02-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
English and American literature is rife with the concept of physical beauty also betokening moral goodness---until the 20th century.

But doesn't modern American culture still kind of perpetuate the notion that physically attractive=good, pure, nice and unattractive=bad, evil, mean?

Skycat_2
02-29-2008, 06:48 PM
"She looks with honest eyes" sounds like when a woman describes her single friend as having "a nice personality." In other words, "My very unattractive friend needs some loving."

MalaKa911
02-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by TheGozr:
Well here it's ... La cochonne ou elle est bonne...
En france! Au Québec c'est différent par contre, ici on emprunte beaucoup d'expressions à la langue anglaise.

Dance
02-29-2008, 06:53 PM

In Wales we might say, 'jeesus would you look at the puppies on that' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

mortoma
02-29-2008, 07:21 PM
First of all, learn the English language well enough to write understandable posts. Then come back and repost this later so we can answer your questions. It may take a year or two but we'll wait.

leitmotiv
02-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Stew278:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:

But doesn't modern American culture still kind of perpetuate the notion that physically attractive=good, pure, nice and unattractive=bad, evil, mean? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bet! That is part of the cult of celebrity. If they are attractive and have intelligent lines in films, we think they must be intelligent in life. Stars cannot resist making use of this fallacy to make themselves "authorities" on statecraft, public morals, etc. Modern American films ad TV shows still use the blonde is virtue, brunette is debauched convention which was in Sir Walter Scott's IVANHOE. A critic once laughed about the '70's TV show "Three's Company" which had a daft blonde and a cleverer brunette vying for the attention of the lead male. The critic noted the blonde always won, despite her stupidity, because of the last remnants of the blonde/brunette convention---she had to be better than the cleverer, prettier brunette because she was blonde.

ffb
02-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Dance:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

In Wales we might say, 'jeesus would you look at the puppies on that' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Presuming I suppose that beauty is measure by the size of ones puppies????

Americans seem to like big ones too....although they often measure quality by size

wasn't the english saying in that TV show .."never mind the quality...feel the width.."

personally I find aspects of a womans body more interesting than the size of her puppies..... actually I prefer small ones...that's why I like asians......lol

Feathered_IV
03-01-2008, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by Korolov1986:
'American English' way of saying a girl looks attractive:

"I'd hit that."

Verily, I would'st smite thee.

Dance
03-01-2008, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by ffb:
personally I find aspects of a womans body more interesting than the size of her puppies..... actually I prefer small ones...that's why I like asians......lol

I said nothing of size, I could have meant pert, bouncy and real http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Korolov1986
03-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
Verily, I would'st smite thee.

Thou doth do tell the tales.

Taylortony
03-01-2008, 09:55 AM
She'd do a trip........

or

Out of two, i'd give her one........... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

MEGILE
03-02-2008, 04:35 AM
I'd split that like a log.