PDA

View Full Version : I may just not "get" the game...

eltea
05-16-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm looking for alternate opinions, I suppose. I bought the game because of my love for Silent Service way back on the C64. Initially, I was really liking it, but the more I play, the more I find niggling issues...

For example, early in my campaign, I have no idea whose ships I'm supossed to be sinking! I sink British ships, but they keep getting listed as "neutral". Am I supossed to be going after France?

Moreover, my "missions" so far consist of telling me to go patrol a grid. That's it. No rules of engagement, etc. This has made it harder for me to figure out what I'm supossed to do.

Given all that, I'm also annoyed at how long it takes to get to the grid. The time compressions goes to 1024 max and is constantly interrupted along the way. Combine that with crew who can't self-manage their sleep cycles with the officer of the watch, and I spend 90% of my time just getting to where I have to go.

Part of it may be my fault as I am trying to play with about 50% realism...making myself plot the shots manually, which I consistently manage to miss! (I think it's AoB I mess up with most, but I'm not sure). So you can imagine it's far more frustrating to travel all that distance only to miss every shot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I wish there was a hybrid of difficulty where I could perform the ship ID and range calculations, but get my watchman or Weapons Officer to figure out the AoB.

Any suggestions?

Beuf_Ninja
05-16-2005, 08:09 PM
The map minutes can be tedious when you're just watching the icon but the tedium would be one millionth of what a real crew would feel. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif On high time compression nobody gets tired.The identification of contacts nationality is something I don't do cos i still use the map update crutch.
For AOB i use...
1)your boat, his boat and the point he passes right across your bow form three points of a triangle.
2)In a triangle the sum of all the angles is always 180.
3)If you know his heading and your own you can calculate the difference and that is angleA.
4)By reading the angle of your peri/uzo you know the angle he is off your bow angleB.
The angle to enter into the note book is 180-AngleA-AngleB
But if you click on the weapons officer and click torpedo attack he will do ident,solution and firing. You just have to remember to open the tube doors beforehand!

eltea
05-16-2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Did you mean that the crew doesn't get tired when running at 1024 compression?

I use the map contacts as well, but I don't see how that helps. As far as I can tell (can't find it in the manual) red=enemy, green=friendly and I don't know what blue means.

However, since I'm mostly getting range to merchant ships, this doesn't matter as they are "nationless" w.r.t looking them up in the ship ID.

Either way it still doesn't help me figure out who I'm supossed to be shooting...

Thanks for the AoB help. I'll give that a try before I break down and ratchet down the realism. I've seen some tools out there to work this all out manually, but they're still too confusing to me it seems. I need an animated tutorial as to how to work it out manually.

Beuf_Ninja
05-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Avoid the blues they friendlies! Never heard of blue on blue incidents? You'll end up getting hung!

eltea
05-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Then what are the greens?

Beuf_Ninja
05-16-2005, 08:35 PM
Neutral nations. I don't think you get renown for sinking them. And that nation will fire at your boat for 24 hrs after the incident and then go back to not bothering.

RevRaz
05-16-2005, 08:54 PM
You get negative renown for sinking neutrals.

And if you are sinking British (Red on the map) ships, you are not sinking neutrals, you are reading the end report wrong.

Any TC over 64x will stop crew fatigue.

And the reason your TC goes to 8 is because another ship is close to you, would you rather it stay at 512x and have you collied with it?

MikeJW
05-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Are you sure they're getting listed as neutral? The results screen columns dont match up I think or are hard to read. Look again. As for patrol orders after as long as you reach your grid and patrol for 24 hours your free to go do what you want. Sneak into Scapa Flow, harras convoys around AM52 or whatever. The crews fatique cycle is suspended at anything over 32x. However, they wont rest in that stage either but fatique becomes a lot less of an issue when your crew and officers get better. I kind of agree about the long patrol travel being boring but only because leaving the map screen drops everything to 32x or less. If I could fool around in the other screens without messing that up it wouldnt be so bad. I suggest you avoid the type IX boats because they are the long range patrol boats.

Budge4
05-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Think you actually lose renown for sinking greens, had one convoy early in war that was a mixture of greens (american this time) and reds (english) so had to watch where i was shooting.

Did notice in the Basic.cfg file which is located in SilentHunterIII\data\Cfg dir, under renown heading that it has listed -1 (green) listed for neutrals and -10 (blue, your own side)for axis so with whatever multiplier it uses i guess its bad sinking them.

Budge

eltea
05-16-2005, 10:21 PM
So I just learned that you can ask the weapons officer to plot the attack. How accurate is he? Would any particular qualifications help in his plot?

Moreover, what happens if you change the speed of the torpedo afterward? Do you have to re-calculate the plot?

Twelvefield
05-16-2005, 10:55 PM
The weapons officer is usually quite good, but (at least for 1.3) not perfect, at least not for me. The targets will jink around a fair bit to throw off your aim.

Usually, to make a good manual plot, it's a good idea to stop your boat, but your weapons officer can do automatic calculations in under a second, even under flank speed. Maybe he's doing his math while you are maneuvering your boat.

If the target ship has spotted you, your weapons officer may not create a good firing solution. Bad weather may also affect his calculations. He will always aim torps for where the scope crosshairs point, so you can adjust your aim by unlocking your target.

Basically, you have no control over a torp after it has left the ship, so you can't change its speed after it has been shot. If you change your torp speeds in between shots, I would say it's a good idea to do another solution, or enter the values you want manually into the TDC. There's a bug with the TDC that can screw up your solution if you mix your torpedoes.

Consult wazoo's tutorial

http://www.paulwasserman.net/SHIII/

for more info.

eltea
05-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Would any qualifications help my weapons officer to better plot the attack?

JoeCorrado
05-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Crew Fatigue is turned off automatically at comptrssion settings above 32x.

Red icons = enemy - Gain renown for sinking
Green icons = neutral - Lose renown for sinking
Blue icons = Freindly - Lose ALOT of renown for sinking

WO - I like mine as Lt. SR. & Torpedo rated and will be well decorated. (As all of my officers)

I don't do manual plots... my WO does it all. Just like in the real world! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BTW, I loved Silent Service. It was great!!!

GT182
05-17-2005, 09:19 AM
JoeCorrado

Sorry Joe but that's not always the case. I have sunk a neutral T3 Tanker with no loss of renoun, and no reprimand from BdU. This was on my second patrol Nov 11,1940 and it was in a convoy which included British ships plus other neutrals. If I hadn't run out of torpedos I would have taken out more of the neutral tankers. Renoun for that patrol was 1179.42 @51% realism. Total tonage was 61,293 tons for 8 ships sunk.

Lovo_Kasistan
05-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by GT182:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">JoeCorrado

Sorry Joe but that's not always the case. I have sunk a neutral T3 Tanker with no loss of renoun, and no reprimand from BdU. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Then that's clearly a bug on your side GT. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

RevRaz
05-17-2005, 10:14 AM
It is set in the .cfg file to actually lose renown for sinking Neutrals and Friendlies. It's not much, like -1 for neutrals, but it's there, unless you or something you installed modified it.

Originally posted by GT182:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">JoeCorrado

Sorry Joe but that's not always the case. I have sunk a neutral T3 Tanker with no loss of renoun, and no reprimand from BdU. This was on my second patrol Nov 11,1940 and it was in a convoy which included British ships plus other neutrals. If I hadn't run out of torpedos I would have taken out more of the neutral tankers. Renoun for that patrol was 1179.42 @51% realism. Total tonage was 61,293 tons for 8 ships sunk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BaneSixEcho
05-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by RevRaz:
It is set in the .cfg file to actually lose renown for sinking Neutrals and Friendlies. It's not much, like -1 for neutrals, but it's there, unless you or something you installed modified it.
That -1 is a multiplier. Every ship has a renown value. The value is based on it's weight I believe. So take the renown value of the ship and multiply it by...

Enemy multiplier: 1
Neutral multiplier: -1
Friendly multiplier: -10

... to get the amount of renown you'll receive.

Soulcommander
05-17-2005, 04:57 PM
If thats all your harping about consider your self lucky you haven't experienced all the bugs in the game including system crashes and reboots! It is an enjoyable game to me except for when you get Massive slowdown and the dreaded system crash and reboot issues that many many users have experienced.

Maj_Solo
05-17-2005, 08:34 PM
use map to see who u r in war with, get the flag mod so that greece dont have a plain white flag ... all other nations flags are properly shown .... u probably attacked a norweigan ship, that is a red flag with some white in it .... but without the flag mod it is an interesting guessing game for awhile ... like find 5 faults.