PDA

View Full Version : yet another joystick question

jeffmorgan_947
06-19-2010, 08:28 PM
I have just been asked what i would like for my 66 birthday, at the moment i use a Saitek Cyborg evo force which is not a bad stick although a few years old now,but i understand that the CH range is one of the best.At first glance they look quite ordinary or dare i say cheap So what am I getting for my buck? the range is CH combat stick $89. CH filght stick pro $89 and then there is the CH fighter stick $125. All I can see is that the fighter stick has a few more buttons? So is paying that extra $36 giving me far better stick. All this is with SOW in mind.i think those prices are US ??

Thanks. JM

ps. Have had a problem recently trying to log on,[ after logging on ,keep getting returned to the log in page, but all seems OK today???

Crash_Moses
06-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Howdy, Jeff.

Yes, we've all been struggling with forum issues lately. It appears the problems have been fixed but the auto-login feature is still broken.

As to your original question, yes, the CH Products line of joysticks are well made. I have a set of rudder pedals that I've had for years and they still work flawlessly.

Whether they're worth the cost depends on how much you intend to use them. If you are a heavy flight simmer then you'll definitely get your money's worth.

If you're a casual simmer you'd probably be okay sticking with the Saitek line...unless you're extremely wealthy. If so, go with CH.

I'm currently using a modded Thrustmaster F-22/TQS combo and as soon as they wear out I fully intend to replace them with CH Products. Unless I win the lottery...In which case I'll purchase the new Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS.

horseback
06-19-2010, 11:04 PM
I've had my Combatstick/Pro Pedals/Pro Throttle for over seven years now, and nothing touches them--not the legendary Micro$oft FFB, not the uberpriced Thrustmaster Cougar, not a brand new Logitech, and certainly not the Saitek stuff (I have a set of rudder pedals and an X52 for guests' use/loaners). For precision and reliability, the CH products stuff is the Real McCoy.

The major difference between the Fighterstick and the Combatstick is that the Fighterstick has more buttons. Personally, I think that the stick hand should be used to aim the plane and shoot the guns; most of the other stuff should be done with your throttle hand. I don't need a lot of extra buttons on my stick, and I think that the cannon button should be a single button at your thumb, not a four way hat switch--that's just wrong.

Bear in mind that CH don't make a stick with a twist rudder function, so rudder pedals and a stick will be needed if you go the CH route.

I'm only 56 & I expect that my sons will be squabbling over who gets my CH HOTAS, rudders, and TrackIR8 when I finally leave this world forty or fifty years hence...

cheers

horseback

Tully__
06-19-2010, 11:27 PM
The price difference between the CH stuff generally and the cheaper mainstream brands is partly quality in the mechanical and electronics and partly in the sophistication of the programming software. As good as the Saitek and Logitech profiling tools are, the CH stuff is vastly more versatile. It has been reported to be a little harder to come to grips with initially but its well worth learning.

M2morris
06-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by horseback:
I've had my Combatstick/Pro Pedals/Pro Throttle for over seven years now, and nothing touches them--not the legendary Micro$oft FFB, not the uberpriced Thrustmaster Cougar, not a brand new Logitech, and certainly not the Saitek stuff (I have a set of rudder pedals and an X52 for guests' use/loaners). For precision and reliability, the CH products stuff is the Real McCoy.

The major difference between the Fighterstick and the Combatstick is that the Fighterstick has more buttons. Personally, I think that the stick hand should be used to aim the plane and shoot the guns; most of the other stuff should be done with your throttle hand. I don't need a lot of extra buttons on my stick, and I think that the cannon button should be a single button at your thumb, not a four way hat switch--that's just wrong.

Bear in mind that CH don't make a stick with a twist rudder function, so rudder pedals and a stick will be needed if you go the CH route.

I'm only 56 & I expect that my sons will be squabbling over who gets my CH HOTAS, rudders, and TrackIR8 when I finally leave this world forty or fifty years hence...

cheers

horseback
I almost bought a Saitek X52 a few weeks ago but something told me to hold out because the CH sticks do look like the best quality. I was wondering if it is possible to get rudder pedals that are the 'push with your whole leg' design as well as the toe-heel calf muscle control pivot design since I'm sure the bigger planes in WW2 had the later while the fighters used the toe-pivot.

Bearcat99
06-20-2010, 09:10 PM
If I were getting a Saitek product in and of itself (I currently use a MSFFB2/Saitek combo setup) I would go with nothing less than the X-52 Pro. I currently use an X-52 but I am modding the stick to make a button bay out of it since I wont be using the stick part of it.. CH stuff is good.. although my pedals did not last long.. they lasted about as long as the Saiteks actually..

Ba5tard5word
06-20-2010, 09:23 PM
I would go for the $89 CH Combatstick, it is a great stick. I have it and CH pedals and I use my keyboard for everything I can't fit on the stick. I use the wheel throttle on the stick so I've saved myself another $80-100 or whatever on a throttle, but if you want you could get a throttle and that should have a few more buttons that should complement the Combatstick just fine.

doogerie
06-21-2010, 03:02 AM
I just upgaded to a Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X and that works well as far as can see there is no Foce feed back but all round it is a good stick it is a bit stff at first but you get used to that

x6BL_Brando
06-21-2010, 07:07 AM
You get a lot more command options with the fighterstick. Using the versatile and powerful software will give you three separate modes, indicated by green, yellow and red LEDs on the base. Each mode can be programmed with it's own set of commands - plus the use of the Shift button will add x2 to the whole.
The total number of commands possible is 84, or could be 112 if you use the option to create a fourth mode using the Control Manager's scripting abilities.

I've also purposely left out the 8-way hat-switch from the calculations. The views can be doubled using the shift button, or, if you are a TIR user, then you have another option for 24 more commands. Obviously the full range of the button presses isn't normally used. Some parts of the 3-mode command mapping will need to be duplicated across the modes - like flaps movements and so on. This is not as much of a pain to program as one might think. Set up the flaps down command in Mode 1 for example, and leave the entries for Modes 2 & 3 empty and the command will work across all 3 modes. But, if you set the same button to toggle your airbrakes in Mode 3, then this will only happen when the yellow light is glowing.

Commands may also be macros, and almost the whole keyboard may be used in any number of combinations. There is a scripting feature available in the CM too. It doesn't have to be used - but can be very useful for automating and timing any series of commands.

I've been using CH gear for seven years now, FS and pedals, and nothing has fazed them. I haven't even needed to change a pot or replace a spring in all that time - and all the buttons and hats are still functional! A lot of other sticks don't last this long.

B

rfxcasey
06-28-2010, 05:53 AM
Well, you sound like your going for the mid to high range market but the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X is a really nice setup for about 40 bucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR50DIYYbfM

Don't get it from buy.com though I just thought you guys would like looking at the nice lady.

I really like this stick and it works great. It has a rudder rocker switch on the throttle so no need for peddles. It also has a twist function but it can be locked so the stick doesn't twist which is how I fly with it.

I don't expect it to last forever but I am pretty light on my gear so for 40 bucks I can buy these all day long. I was thinking about getting another just as a backup.