PDA

View Full Version : do games have a black frame between each normal frame like cinema?

raaaid
08-18-2006, 11:05 AM
when you see a movie the projector between every frame projects a black frame by blocking the light

is it the same in the game?

ytareh
08-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Sorry I dont know- but you may be interested to know Raaid that Irish radio reported at lunchtime today than an Irish research company has (allegedly?)succeeded in a method of creating "Free Energy" involving magnetic fields.This can be harnessed to create movement as in a car engine or electricity.They claim its 100% ready for use and only need some reputable scientists to verify it.
If I was them Id be rather nervous of having a mysterious nasty accident like the guy in America who was meant to have developed a device to treble car fuel economy!!!

Monty_Thrud
08-18-2006, 12:22 PM
YES!... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

pleeeze make it go away http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Akronnick
08-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Hey guys, he has a legitimate question, Leave him alone.

raaaid, the answer to your question is no, sort of. A film projector has to flicker because the film is moving. if it were constantly illuminated all you would see is a multicolored blur. A video monitor works differently. On a CRT screen, the pixels are phosphorescent dots that glow when struck by an electron beam. This beam sweeps over the entire screen 60 times per second (or 70 or 75 or whatever your refresh rate is). During the time when the beam is hitting other pixels the a pixel gets dimmer, but it doesn't go all the way to zero, which is why lower refresh rates seem to flicker more than higher ones.

Scen
08-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Akronnick

Ummm I think you need to take a look at previous posts made by the thread author then come back and answer the question.

I'm serious as a heart attack.

Frankenstein000
08-18-2006, 12:52 PM
There is no "black frame", each frame of film has a still image on it. When projected at 24fps, you see motion.

I repeat, No "black frame"...only black helicopters...

PlaneEater
08-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Actually, each movie frame is projected twice, no black frame.

It's required to achieve what's known as critical flicker fusion, where the human eye and brain can't process the intervening changes fast enough, and begin to interpret multiple rapidly changing sequential still images as a single moving image.

Akronnick
08-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Scen:
Akronnick

Ummm I think you need to take a look at previous posts made by the thread author then come back and answer the question.

I'm serious as a heart attack.

I am well aware of raaaid's reputation. but just slamming the guy every time he posts isn't something I consider productive. This time he had a valid question, but a few *******'s around here see his name on the thread and think it's OK to rip on him.

DuxCorvan
08-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Yeah, but it's true that projectors have an obturator which blocks projecting light between the film frames.

But, its function is to avoid the mechanical movement of the film to be seen in the screen: without it we wouldn't see the cinematic illusion -resulting from projecting a sucesion of perfectly centered still images- but just a blurry 'waterfall' of framed images.

Games don't need this, since there's no mechanical transition of the images: they're simply screened one after the other.

gdfo
08-18-2006, 03:55 PM
The 'tube' in a monitor is shooting a beam of either electrons or photons onto the screen in front of you at a rate so fast you cannot see the individual lines at all. As the information that the beam contains changes so does what you see on the monitor screen. There fore there are no 'frames' as such like an old fashioned movie.
Not sure how flat panels work.

orkan_3d
08-18-2006, 07:48 PM
This is a moment to be proud to be a member of this sims comunity, with so many knowledgable people http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

triggerhappyfin
08-19-2006, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by raaaid:
when you see a movie the projector between every frame projects a black frame by blocking the light

is it the same in the game?

LOL, must be you blinking your eyes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif...