PDA

View Full Version : Possible for the Future you think ?

Kotp
11-01-2004, 07:25 AM
Hi guys , im very much a newcomer here and just thought i would ask your opinions about this idea.

First off , this Game is "Unbelievable" im really impressed by it for so many reasons so hats off but was wondering if any of you actually believe that we could be seeing this in the future.

Ok so here we go ... you get shot down , crash or whatever but you safely make it out of your wreckage or parachute and you then take on a 1st person View of using your map , compass and pistol to try and reach Friendly Territory without being captured.

If any of you have played the game Operation Flashpoint , this is basicly what im referring too.

Natrually this would make the game more than just a Flight Sim but would this appeal to people or are people just happy to play the game purely as a Flight Sim ?

I believe if there was some way of combining the Flight Sim element with the 1st Person OFP element i for one would be in Gaming Heaven.

So my question is do you think this will become a reality someday or am i just dreaming ?

mizuno6
11-01-2004, 07:40 AM
i think its possible. i've thought about this myself as well.
operation flashpoint is a great platform for that kind of thing (all FPS should be based on OF i reckon)
main prob tho i guess being the game engines, flight sims appear different to FPS and getting them intergrated could be a major thing> I think thats why OF has clunky arcade like feel in the flight department.

it would be a great concept tho wouldnt it?

Future-
11-01-2004, 08:10 AM
Though the idea isn't that bad, you're barking up the wrong tree here.

The IL-2 series always was a FLIGHTSIM. And a first person experience as you describe it would most certainly change the entire game characteristic - if you think about it, it wouldn't be a flightsim anymore, at least not per definition.

To get this straight: nice idea, but certainly won't happen, not with PF, and most probably not with BoB either.

S!

actionhank1786
11-01-2004, 08:14 AM
I like the idea!
Oh and by the way.
Welcome to the board! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Ignore all the whiners, we're busy sorting them out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
But anyways, it's a good idea, just not one that belongs per say, in the Il-2 Series.
Who knows maybe when Flashpoint 2 comes out they'll have a mission like that, i think it would be a very intense fun mission http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.
Your helicopter/plane is shot down, and you have to make it 32 scale miles back to friendly towns evading patrols and Search And "rescue" parties sent out by the enemy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kotp
11-01-2004, 08:51 AM
Yup , natrualy this sort of idea couldn't be published as an IL2 series because as you say IL2 is a dedicated Flight Sim.

But thats not to say that the Makers of IL2 paired up with the makers of OFP to make this sort of game i'm pretty sure it would be attract a huge audience.

Imagine ... many people are dedicated Flight Sim players and many are dedicated 1st person shooter players , combine the both and you then have the best of both worlds with your Pilots doing the job in the Sky and your Forces on the ground pusing forward and engaging enemy targets and positions.

Communication between both the Pilots and the Ground Forces through manned command outposts and Radio would really spice up the action and present a whole different era of online war scenario.

SaQSoN
11-01-2004, 10:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Ok so here we go ... you get shot down , crash or whatever but you safely make it out of your wreckage or parachute and you then take on a 1st person View of using your map , compass and pistol to try and reach Friendly Territory without being captured.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Compare OFP map size to even the smallest FB map. Do you feel the difference? It would take you weeks if not monthes to get to the friendly territory on foot, like it was in the real life. Even, if you will not meet any enemy in process. Would you be interested in playing a game, where every 2nd or 4th mission you will have to walk back home for a week? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Try making it more playable - and you'll get something like OFP or "Battlefield 1942".

Kotp
11-01-2004, 10:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaQSoN:
[QUOTE]Compare OFP map size and even the smallest FB map size. Do you feel the difference? It would take for you _weeks_ if not monthes to get to the friendly territory on foot, like it was in the real life. Even, if you will not meet any enemy in process. Would you be interested in playing a game, where every 2nd or 4th mission you will have to walk back home for a week? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Try making it more playable - and you'll get something like OFP or "Battlefield 1942". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being armed with a Sidearm and the ability to hijack , find Vehicles like Trucks , Jeeps , Trains , I don't think it would take you weeks at all, in fact if done correctly wouldn't take you long at all , especially if you were able to secure a Radio and contact your HQ requesting a pickup at a certain rendezvous.

Chuck_Older
11-01-2004, 10:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Future-:
Though the idea isn't that bad, you're barking up the wrong tree here.

The IL-2 series always was a FLIGHTSIM. And a first person experience as you describe it would most certainly change the entire game characteristic - if you think about it, it wouldn't be a flightsim anymore, at least not per definition.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, this has come up many times.

The FPS element is more attractive monetrily and the flight sim element would certainly suffer.

Chuck_Older
11-01-2004, 10:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kotp:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaQSoN:
[QUOTE]Compare OFP map size and even the smallest FB map size. Do you feel the difference? It would take for you _weeks_ if not monthes to get to the friendly territory on foot, like it was in the real life. Even, if you will not meet any enemy in process. Would you be interested in playing a game, where every 2nd or 4th mission you will have to walk back home for a week? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Try making it more playable - and you'll get something like OFP or "Battlefield 1942". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being armed with a Sidearm and the ability to hijack , find Vehicles like Trucks , Jeeps , Trains , I don't think it would take you weeks at all, in fact if done correctly wouldn't take you long at all , especially if you were able to secure a Radio and contact your HQ requesting a pickup at a certain rendezvous. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, now you're talking about a 'game' and not a flightsim...in the sims we play like PF, you have a reasonably accurate representation of how things worked...so in this scenario where you elude the enemy on foot, take the example of the Western Front in WWII. How many pilots were shot down, stole a train, and made it back to friendly territory? Consider the real life aspect of that versus what would be 'fun' in a game. If we were to 'sim' that escape, you'd be captured or killed after you took the wrong siding at a train station...fighter pilots weren't train engineers, lol

That might work in MOH but the guys who play sims for the realism would absolutely hate it.

Kotp
11-01-2004, 10:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Um, now you're talking about a 'game' and not a flightsim...in the sims we play like PF, you have a reasonably accurate representation of how things worked...so in this scenario where you elude the enemy on foot, take the example of the Western Front in WWII. How many pilots were shot down, stole a train, and made it back to friendly territory? Consider the real life aspect of that versus what would be 'fun' in a game. If we were to 'sim' that escape, you'd be captured or killed after you took the wrong siding at a train station...fighter pilots weren't train engineers, lol

That might work in MOH but the guys who play sims for the realism would absolutely hate it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mmm think theres a little confusion here , I didn't actually state that the game would be Flight Sim but more of an all rounder Sim.

Also I think you'd find that some Pilots that were shot down over enemy territory DID actually make it back to Friendly Zones and being a Train Engineer has nothing to do with actually jumping on board a moving train heading in the direction your wishing to go http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

cpirrmann
11-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Perhaps an import /export data option between IL2 and for example MOH. Export your postion data and use your pilot in the FPS. If your pilot makes it back to base, import your position data and you can make the next mission. This of course would require cooperation between Maddox and others as well as import/export options for the various FPS's people prefer. That way, the genre of each type of game/sim is retained.

Chuck_Older
11-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Well, now getting shot down is desireable...

Chuck_Older
11-01-2004, 11:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kotp:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Um, now you're talking about a 'game' and not a flightsim...in the sims we play like PF, you have a reasonably accurate representation of how things worked...so in this scenario where you elude the enemy on foot, take the example of the Western Front in WWII. How many pilots were shot down, stole a train, and made it back to friendly territory? Consider the real life aspect of that versus what would be 'fun' in a game. If we were to 'sim' that escape, you'd be captured or killed after you took the wrong siding at a train station...fighter pilots weren't train engineers, lol

That might work in MOH but the guys who play sims for the realism would absolutely hate it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mmm think theres a little confusion here , I didn't actually state that the game would be Flight Sim but more of an all rounder Sim.

Also I think you'd find that some Pilots that were shot down over enemy territory DID actually make it back to Friendly Zones and being a Train Engineer has nothing to do with actually jumping on board a moving train heading in the direction your wishing to go http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you mean, but while many pilots did make it back 'home', again, the sim elemnt is missing. All around sim or not.

Take the USAAF for example. Standard operating procedure dictated that once a pilot was shot down over occupied France and made it back to friendly lines, he was sent home, no more flight ops. He'd still serve in the Army, but Stateside. He knew hoe some of the underground worked, more likely than not, and that info was delicate enough that he rotated to stateside duty. That's just the way it was. Some pilots did manage to continue ops after such an episode, but that was the exception to the rule.

And as far as being an Engineer goes, you know that was just an example. It's all very well to assume that our virtual selves know how to fly a virtual airplane, but the example of stealing a car or motorcycle isn't really all that cut and dried. How would the downd airman elude capture at checkpoints? Various towns? How would he avoid occupying forces? Does he speak German or French or Russian or Japanese or English? Does he look like a native? What's his 'cover'? Farmer? Deliveryboy? How can he get supplies? Breaking into places? Now we need a lockpicking skill? Now it's an RPG?

All those are just examples, but my point is that it's not only an ambitious undertaking, but so far out of the realm of possibility that it can't be termed a 'sim' anymore. It might make a really fun game, but that's the scope of it- a game, like CoD or MOH (OFP vehicle physics do not meet 'sim' standards in the slightest, so although I think it's the finest tactical sim out there, I discount it here)

Plus, now getting shot down is an end unto itself. If I'm playing a pilot, the last thing I want is to be shot down!

All of these things are cool ideas, but it's much too "hollywood" for the sim crowd who likes sims for some attempt at accuracy. A simmer might like such a game, but he wouldn't like it as a sim in my opinion