PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer maps - important %$#*!!

PoW_LigHtsPeEd
07-27-2005, 11:47 PM
One aspect that has come to my attention as far as MP goes is the map design, and it is really important to get this part right because it really affects the replayability of a map, and therfore, the game in the long term.

One aspect is how linear these MP maps play. What I mean by this I guess although its hard to explain is how many choke points or pathways there are in a map. For instance, I noticed maps in AA, OE, and GR that offer only one way to attack or defend and over time the maps become boring to play because the outcome is predictable. IT is necessary to develop maps that are not limited in this way, but offer a range of choices far a team to play it. I hope this is clear.

In addition, and I use Battlefield 2 as an example becuase Ive been playing it a lot lately. The concept of capturing flags is a good one from the point of view that it prevents camping and enduces fighting in order to win a game. Unlike, GR where a team could take a kill and then camp on it for a win, the BF2 concept seemed like a good countermeasure. However, where BF2 falls apart is that the value of a persons life is lost. It no longer matters whether a soldier dies in the engagement at the end of the day as long as he contributes to the team in gaining a win by capturing or defending flags. Personally, I am sick of BF2 for this fact, and I dont want GR3 to go down the same path just because BF2 is selling well at the moment. I believe it is only a matter of time before others get sick of the infinite life, bloodbath of BF2 and start to crave the tactical, life means something, style of the original Ghost Recon, and Rogue Spear series.

For this reason, I call on UBI and GRIN to consider there MP map development - dont make sexy maps that play like ****. Make sexy maps that play just as sexy. Likewise, consider the introduction of a gamestyle whereby players cant camp on a kill to win, and cant run'n'gun to win either.

Thanks for your time, and excuse spelling mistakes Im tired.

Lighty

PoW_LigHtsPeEd
07-27-2005, 11:47 PM
One aspect that has come to my attention as far as MP goes is the map design, and it is really important to get this part right because it really affects the replayability of a map, and therfore, the game in the long term.

One aspect is how linear these MP maps play. What I mean by this I guess although its hard to explain is how many choke points or pathways there are in a map. For instance, I noticed maps in AA, OE, and GR that offer only one way to attack or defend and over time the maps become boring to play because the outcome is predictable. IT is necessary to develop maps that are not limited in this way, but offer a range of choices far a team to play it. I hope this is clear.

In addition, and I use Battlefield 2 as an example becuase Ive been playing it a lot lately. The concept of capturing flags is a good one from the point of view that it prevents camping and enduces fighting in order to win a game. Unlike, GR where a team could take a kill and then camp on it for a win, the BF2 concept seemed like a good countermeasure. However, where BF2 falls apart is that the value of a persons life is lost. It no longer matters whether a soldier dies in the engagement at the end of the day as long as he contributes to the team in gaining a win by capturing or defending flags. Personally, I am sick of BF2 for this fact, and I dont want GR3 to go down the same path just because BF2 is selling well at the moment. I believe it is only a matter of time before others get sick of the infinite life, bloodbath of BF2 and start to crave the tactical, life means something, style of the original Ghost Recon, and Rogue Spear series.

For this reason, I call on UBI and GRIN to consider there MP map development - dont make sexy maps that play like ****. Make sexy maps that play just as sexy. Likewise, consider the introduction of a gamestyle whereby players cant camp on a kill to win, and cant run'n'gun to win either.

Thanks for your time, and excuse spelling mistakes Im tired.

Lighty

apollo104
07-28-2005, 12:19 AM
I think it is also important to note that no one will look down on UBI if they include some of the more popular GR1 maps on ADDITION to the GRAW maps in the PC release.

Those maps are classic, and many vets will like to be able to play some of the old maps with the new weapon system. Hell, I remember a R6 mod for GR that imported some old maps from back in the day. And playing City Street Large with OICW/GL was a blast, and VERY different.

pearcie_no1
07-28-2005, 12:51 AM
I like the ideas given here about the linearity of the maps, however I don't believe it was an issue with GR1. as long as you keep making the maps like you did, it'll be fine.

The comments I have to disagree with here are firstly, the concept of having a capture the flag game in GRAW. That would never, ever work because of the way the game will be (Or I should say 'Should be') played out. Being a realistic, tactical shooter, GR is far too slow paced to have capture the flag work, and I also mean the character's movement is slow paced as well.

It's also a rather contradictory statement to say "BF2 is too fast... turns into a bloodbath" and then go on to say "We should also introduce a gamestyle where players don't camp."

Camping, whether you like it or not, is a legitimate tactic and in games like Ghost Recon, it will always be there. I have to admit, I hate it when people lie in wait on a corner of the map for the entire game, but I bet in real war nobody got annoyed at the enemy for camping.

WhiteKnight77
07-28-2005, 08:17 AM
There is a difference in camping styles, In GR there are those who spawn camp and that does not belong in game. That can be fixed by random spawn points for persons killed, even for a defense or siege type game. The killed person spawns outside of the base and comes up behind those trying to attack for those who use respawns.

The best way to get rid of spawn camping is do away with respawns altogether. Each person gets once chance to take an objective, if that person dies that's it. GR MP should not be about shooting ducks in a barrel where a couple of people overwatch a spawn point waiting for someone to spawn into it. No tactics involved for that.

BSR_RuGGBuTT
07-28-2005, 10:06 AM
While we're discussing respawns I'd like to see Grin implement truly random respawns on m/p maps. This would make m/p even more gritty and realistic.

ZA_Corax
07-29-2005, 05:14 PM
I've seen many different suggestions on insertions in MP on the forum, I'm just hoping the GRIN devs has picked up on them and perhaps implement appropriate changes.