PDA

View Full Version : where do the campaigns go?

dashman
01-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Since I am just now starting to see and enjoy flying outside of just the single missions and QMB (only took two years), I am now seeing some of the other options to play that I have seen referenced here but never took the time or had the knowledge to explore.

A couple of my recent posts have been about basic things about campaigns, co=ops, etc, so I hope nobody minds a few more related to this:

1. Where do downloaded user campaigns/missions end up?

a. Which become available through "multiplay/create new server"?

b.Which end up in the "pilots's career" section?

2. I have seen some good advice about taking one plane at a time and getting to know it as well as possible before moving on to another. How do you pick that plane and stay with it (other than with QMB)-since some (all?) missions/campaigns seem to pick a plane for you?

I was thinking about picking three or four types (e.g.: 2 single-wing fighters, bomber, bi-plane) and trying to see which I preferred flying.

Thanks - BTW, got a bronze medal last night (I know - woo woo) but it was my first of any kind.

dashman
01-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Since I am just now starting to see and enjoy flying outside of just the single missions and QMB (only took two years), I am now seeing some of the other options to play that I have seen referenced here but never took the time or had the knowledge to explore.

A couple of my recent posts have been about basic things about campaigns, co=ops, etc, so I hope nobody minds a few more related to this:

1. Where do downloaded user campaigns/missions end up?

a. Which become available through "multiplay/create new server"?

b.Which end up in the "pilots's career" section?

2. I have seen some good advice about taking one plane at a time and getting to know it as well as possible before moving on to another. How do you pick that plane and stay with it (other than with QMB)-since some (all?) missions/campaigns seem to pick a plane for you?

I was thinking about picking three or four types (e.g.: 2 single-wing fighters, bomber, bi-plane) and trying to see which I preferred flying.

Thanks - BTW, got a bronze medal last night (I know - woo woo) but it was my first of any kind.

crucislancer
01-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Single player campaigns (Pilot Career) go in the following folder:

Il-2 root dir.\Missions\Campaign\country folder (IL-2 root dir being the main IL-2 folder, usually called IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 for the most recent version of the game)

For instance, if you wanted install a Luftwaffe campaign, it would go Il-2 root dir.\Missions\Campaign\DE

The folders, just off the top of my head, are:

FI - Finland
DE – Germany
GB - Britain
US - USAAF
UN - USN
UM - USMC
RU - Russia
RA - Australia
IT - Italy
JA – Japanese Army
IN – Japanese Navy
RO – Romania
HU – Hungary

There are a few others, but I don’t recall the folder names right now.

If you are installing a multiplayer campaign, it goes in the Missions\Coop folder. There doesn’t seem to be a specific country folder in the Coop folder, so you can create your own.

Most campaigns include a readme stating which folder the campaign should go in and if there are any extra skins which folder they should go in as well.

If there are skins for the campaign, they go in IL-2 Root dir\PaintSchemes\Skins\specific airplane folder

For instance, if you have a skin for a Spitfire Mk Vb, then it would go in:
IL-2 Root dir\PaintSchemes\Skins\SpitfireVb

I’m not sure what kind of campaigns you might be into, but there are a couple of threads on the mission builders forum that might give you some ideas.

Head over to mission4today.com and take a look at some of the campaigns there. They have a ratings system that that can give you an idea of some of the more popular ones.

dirkpit7
01-27-2009, 03:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 2. I have seen some good advice about taking one plane at a time and getting to know it as well as possible before moving on to another. How do you pick that plane and stay with it (other than with QMB)-since some (all?) missions/campaigns seem to pick a plane for you?

I was thinking about picking three or four types (e.g.: 2 single-wing fighters, bomber, bi-plane) and trying to see which I preferred flying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you have the freedom to choose which campaigns you want to fly, don't you? If you want to fly Bf-109 for example, then start a Bf-109 campaign.

Don't you have any idea of what planes you prefer after 2 years?

dashman
01-27-2009, 05:24 AM
Yes, I do.

Was thinking there was a way to plug them into more campaigns then apparently is the case.

Sorry to have delayed the thanks crucislancer - couldn't get back here until now.

crucislancer
01-27-2009, 05:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dashman:
Yes, I do.

Was thinking there was a way to plug them into more campaigns then apparently is the case.

Sorry to have delayed the thanks crucislancer - couldn't get back here until now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No worries, Dashman. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

As far as being able to stick with a particular type in a campaign, there are some Dgen careers that will let you fly a certain type over the course of a couple of campaigns within a career. For instance, most of the early careers for Luftwaffe fighter pilots on the Eastern front let you fly the Bf109F-4 for a few campaigns, and those campaigns can last for around 30 missions or so. Also, most campaigns let you have a choice before you start the career.

dashman
01-27-2009, 05:53 AM
Thanks again!