PDA

View Full Version : Best Cat Drivers??

Major.Snacko
12-09-2010, 03:05 PM
I cannot get the search feature to work on this site. So, I have to post even though the info is probably been posted already... Arg..

Of the latest AMD/ATI Cat drivers, which is the best for IL2?

My system started crashing with IL2 about 1.5 months ago. I have tried Cat 9.8, 9.9, 9.10, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, and 10.11 and still get random crashes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

I have restore my pc from an backup image from 8 months ago, and then also from one a year ago, and still have crashes.

I have checked my hardware and it is all good. I have NO crashes with any other games or software. I have a great rig. i7 965, ati 4879x2, Asus Rampage II Extreme mb, 6gig Corsair memory, ect.. No problems with anything but IL2.

Arg... If I could at least have some known good ATI drivers I can at least rule that out. Any other suggestions would be helpful....

Thanks

Snacko

Stiletto-
12-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Best Cat driver? probably not this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQkL9LpvKl0#t=0m53s

Stiletto-
12-09-2010, 09:36 PM
On a more serious note, I highly doubt that the crashing is do to your video drivers. I have tried a bunch of different Cat drivers and they can lead to various framerate performances and graphic anomilities, I have never had crashing problems.

I am guessing you are running in OpenGL, did you try running in DirectX just to see if the same thing happends?

Also some system specs would be good to post.

TX-Gunslinger
12-09-2010, 11:05 PM

All great for me with Il2 and everything else I run. Sorry your having problems.

S!

Gunny

Jabout
12-10-2010, 02:33 AM
I have had random crashes for some months, mostly when I'm playing co-ops on line, I get CTD from HL.

I too have a 4870 X2, Asus board and corsair memory on Windows 7 64 bit.

However, I'm convinced, especially after reading around the web that it's to do with ATI drivers.

If the 10.11's fail me tonight I will go back to a 8.x driver.

N.B. All others games are fine, I guess it may be ATI's handling of the OGL.

Regards.

Major.Snacko
12-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Yes, I received an AMD (ATI) Driver crash error only a few times. Usually it just disappears from the desktop and taskbar in a flash. I don't see any error messages in the Windows Event Logs about it ever.

Also, about 1/4 of the time, when IL2 crashes, also TS3 and TrackIR will also crash. That is usually when I got the AMD Display Driver error.

My next step will be formatting and reinstalling from scratch. Argg... Been trying to avoid this with my anal creation of Acronis TI Backup Images.

triad773
12-10-2010, 09:54 PM
I had liked ATi since my Macintosh days but in recent years found their drivers a bit dodgy. Since then I went to nVidia on a lark and haven't looked back since.

I imagine it won't help now, but maybe next time you upgrade. Depending on how serious you are about IL-2, maybe it might be worth it. Up to you.

Good luck regardless

Triad