PDA

View Full Version : Add optional lift lines to cockpit and no-cockpit views to improve plane orientation

XyZspineZyX
08-22-2003, 10:47 PM
I read this article on SimHQ about BnZ and Andy described an add on done for USAF to improve your feel for plane orientation when looking through various views. The add on is an overlay of lift lines. Here are two pictures that illustrate how this works:

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_026ss.html
http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_026tt.html

One of the nice things about moving to TrackIR is that you can use the orientation of your neck to give you a natural feel of how your plane is oriented when you are looking outside of the forward view. But without TrackIR I found this much more difficult in particular with bubble canopy type planes. I think it would be great if there was a key we could press two toggle a lift line overlay like the one added to USAF to help us keep oriented in the cockpit or in the no cockpit view (were they have that little 3D plane that I atleast find unnatural to use).

Ofcourse if we were in a real plane and not in a PC Sim then we wouldn't need these, but we are not so they would help a lot especialy for none TrackIR users. Although I think it would still help with TrackIR especialy in the no cockpit view. Something that comes natural in a real plane should not be a pain in the sim.

Here is the relavent portion of the article:

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_026a.html

"In USAF, an add-on file was built that would add a white line on the top of the canopy, running down the centerline of the canopy from front to rear. This line has a series of arrows spaced along its length. The arrows point towards your nose, and the number of arrow diagonal marks are placed to tell you what part of the canopy you are looking through.one arrow indicates the front portion of the canopy, while the four arrow marks indicate you are looking up through the rear top of the canopy. In the next picture, you are looking down into the F-16 cockpit from directly overhead. The location of the lift line corresponds to that part of the canopy that the pilot will be looking up through.
Figure 44 - USAF Lift Line (General Layout). Figure 45 - Lift Line (Top View).

Notice also the two side arrows located approximately half way from the canopy rail to the main lift line. These include the letters 'L' and 'R' plus the arrowhead to indicate that you are looking out of the side of the canopy, and not the top.
Figure 46 - Lift Line (Side View).

Since the placement of the arrow line is along the top of the canopy, we can think of it as representing the lift vector. When we pull backpressure, our aircraft flight path will be towards what ever the line is superimposed over.hence, the name lift line.

The lift line can be used for out-of-plane maneuvering as well as in-plane. By rolling to place the lift line away from the target, you can align your flight path in lead, pure, or lag pursuit."

Regards,

Snoop Baron

XyZspineZyX
08-22-2003, 10:47 PM
I read this article on SimHQ about BnZ and Andy described an add on done for USAF to improve your feel for plane orientation when looking through various views. The add on is an overlay of lift lines. Here are two pictures that illustrate how this works:

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_026ss.html
http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_026tt.html

One of the nice things about moving to TrackIR is that you can use the orientation of your neck to give you a natural feel of how your plane is oriented when you are looking outside of the forward view. But without TrackIR I found this much more difficult in particular with bubble canopy type planes. I think it would be great if there was a key we could press two toggle a lift line overlay like the one added to USAF to help us keep oriented in the cockpit or in the no cockpit view (were they have that little 3D plane that I atleast find unnatural to use).

Ofcourse if we were in a real plane and not in a PC Sim then we wouldn't need these, but we are not so they would help a lot especialy for none TrackIR users. Although I think it would still help with TrackIR especialy in the no cockpit view. Something that comes natural in a real plane should not be a pain in the sim.

Here is the relavent portion of the article:

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_026a.html

"In USAF, an add-on file was built that would add a white line on the top of the canopy, running down the centerline of the canopy from front to rear. This line has a series of arrows spaced along its length. The arrows point towards your nose, and the number of arrow diagonal marks are placed to tell you what part of the canopy you are looking through.one arrow indicates the front portion of the canopy, while the four arrow marks indicate you are looking up through the rear top of the canopy. In the next picture, you are looking down into the F-16 cockpit from directly overhead. The location of the lift line corresponds to that part of the canopy that the pilot will be looking up through.
Figure 44 - USAF Lift Line (General Layout). Figure 45 - Lift Line (Top View).

Notice also the two side arrows located approximately half way from the canopy rail to the main lift line. These include the letters 'L' and 'R' plus the arrowhead to indicate that you are looking out of the side of the canopy, and not the top.
Figure 46 - Lift Line (Side View).

Since the placement of the arrow line is along the top of the canopy, we can think of it as representing the lift vector. When we pull backpressure, our aircraft flight path will be towards what ever the line is superimposed over.hence, the name lift line.

The lift line can be used for out-of-plane maneuvering as well as in-plane. By rolling to place the lift line away from the target, you can align your flight path in lead, pure, or lag pursuit."

Regards,

Snoop Baron

XyZspineZyX
08-23-2003, 09:27 PM
I find my orientation pretty good even without TrackIR and in a plane with a bubble canopy, but I agree this might help. If it's not too hard to do, I say go for it.
Unfortunately, I imagine it is... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 04:44 PM
Oleg, how hard do you think this overlay would be to implement?

Thanks,

Snoop Baron