PDA

View Full Version : Stick to Yoke Transition Going Rough

leitmotiv
02-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Well, I was so pleased with the Ju 88A-4 I could not resist adding one more item to enhance immersion---I got a CH yoke. I have been using a Logitech Wingman Force 3D force feedback stick. With it I can plant four 500kg bombs on target with ease. The yoke has reduced me to a bumbling idiot: crashing just short of target, unable to hold the target in my sight, missing by a wide margin. Is such bumbling ordinary when learning to use a yoke?

leitmotiv
02-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Well, I was so pleased with the Ju 88A-4 I could not resist adding one more item to enhance immersion---I got a CH yoke. I have been using a Logitech Wingman Force 3D force feedback stick. With it I can plant four 500kg bombs on target with ease. The yoke has reduced me to a bumbling idiot: crashing just short of target, unable to hold the target in my sight, missing by a wide margin. Is such bumbling ordinary when learning to use a yoke?

Praetorian_Elite
02-18-2006, 03:33 PM
When learning to use something new, you will not always be the best. Just need to practice with it.

vocatx
02-18-2006, 09:31 PM
I do all my flying with a CH Yoke. I don't even use a joystick. I do pretty well with fighters with it, too. It just takes practice. Main thing to remember is: Pull back, not down. Last night I got jumped by a Hellcat unexpectedly, and pulled the yoke off my desk! (Good bounce, podo)

leitmotiv
02-19-2006, 04:43 PM
I dig, vocatx. I did the same thing---unfortunately I am unable to rigidly fix my yoke box with the provided grips so I have to perform certain climbing maneuvers with one hand holding the box! I did find that tension adjustor useful.

TC_Stele
02-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Gotta agree that getting any new devices will feel akward at first. I always use to fly with a twisty rudder but wanted to get the CH pedals for immersion. The first 2 weeks of flying were my worst ever with the pedals because I wasnt use to them. After a few weeks I got the hang of it and I'll never turn back to twisty rudder.

I'm thinking of getting the CH yoke for the exact same reason, and I look forward to the challenges.

tonyt1960
02-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Get an armchair if you dont already have one. Place your elbows on it. Fly with the index finger and thumb of each hand on the yoke (bottom corners) using fingertips only. Use slight pressures on the yoke to change attiude, rather than deliberate input. Place your trim buttons so that your left or right thumb can reach while on the yoke. Use your right hand when needing to adjust switches... etc. You'll get the hang of it. What you are currently experiencing is called "The White-Knuckle Syndrome". Let the airplane fly you around as you point it in the direction you want it to go rather than "pushing" the airplane in the direction it doesnt want to go (also known as strong-arming).

leitmotiv
02-20-2006, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the advice, tony1960. A bruising Beaufighter vs 88A-4 night shootout loosened me up. I have to find a way to rigidly mount the bugger with the grips provided to keep it still while I perform radical maneuvers! I use the CH throttle and pedals, TC_Stele, and would never go back to stick throttle and stick rudder. TrackIR is another necessity. Next I'm installing Shoot for ordering AI squadron around verbally!