PDA

View Full Version : New Video Card upgrade ?

Onthehunt1970
07-05-2005, 04:17 PM
I recently built a new system but haven't got a video card yet. Old system had radeon 9800 pro my new system has pci-e. Was looking at a Nvidia 6600gt but would it offer much of a performance boost my 9800 pro or should I go with a better card? Any help greatly appreciated.

rls669
07-05-2005, 04:36 PM
I find I'm always disappointed with an upgrade unless it's a major one. 6600GT is faster than a 9800 but IMHO not by enough to justify the $. The sweet spot for price/performance is usually a second-tier card -- think X800XL versus the XT, or 6800GT vs. 6800 Ultra. Now that the 7800 is available I think the 6800GT or, if you can wait a bit, the lower-end version of the 7800 would be decent choices. The usual tradeoff, more $, more performance, longer useful life in your pc.

vois2
07-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Like you, onthehunt1970, I have a new machine which has native PCI-Express. (Purchased Feb 05) Since PCI-Express is relatively new, I debated whether to buy a decent pci-x graphics card, or a fuddy duddy, since pci-x has the fastest channeling anyway. Well, I eventually decided on the most dumbed-down version possible: ATI Radeon x300 se, a 128 MB card. I figured if I was disatisfied, at least it would be a small ouch. I'm happy to report that the radeon x300 renders SH3 beautifully. With each driver update of the Catalyst controller, frame rates have become higher and everything even smoother. I have no complaints at all - giving me time to wait a year or so until the much nicer pci-x cards have dropped significantly in price anyway. You can buy an x300 for less than $50 anywhere. Any questions or screenshots, just give me a hollar, firefighter@graffiti.net

aaronblood
07-05-2005, 06:07 PM
I still get (a little) framerate slowdown when the debris starts flying. The bottleneck on this game is in the physics related to animating all those wonderful little bits that fly off the ships (or at least I think so).

If you have to ask you're obviously hoping to save some money. I don't think you need the latest greatest card to run this one. From what I've seen, a middle-of-the-road card will do just fine paired with 1MB ram.

The real question is whether or not SH3 will benefit once the physics processor cards start to show up later this year. Me thinkst Asus is going to be first to market on these...

When I get my hands on one I'll post back and let you all know if it helps any.

Onthehunt1970
07-06-2005, 08:06 AM
Thanks for everyone's input. My radeon pro was a good card but when I bought it I made the mistake of paying a premium cause it was the newest at the time and don't feel like making the same mistake again. My old system was abit nf7-s, athlon 2800xp, 1mb ram, radeon 128 pro. New system is Dfi party ultra d, athlon 64 3500,1 mb ram, 250 gb wd sata, video card still deciding on. It does have 2 slots for pci-e video cards but doesn't run in sli mode. Think I made mistake with this MB you have to manually set all the settings in bios. Anyway should 300$ get me a descent video card? Thanks for your input. Good Hunting

Night_Crawler
07-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Soon, this month there will be a 512MB GPX card for AGP and PCI-E...

with 1 or 2 DVI ports.. choice is yours

Onthehunt1970
07-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Where can I find more info on the GPX card?

cepheus42
07-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Best place for any of the latest tech news or hardware/software reviews is Toms Hardware. Here's a link to their graphics page where you can find lots of info on the latest cards and upcoming ones:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/index.html

ilcattivo
07-07-2005, 01:20 PM
If you are looking to sell that 9800, I am interested in buying it.

BobV_07
07-07-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm waiting right now on my new BFG PCI-E 7800 GTX OC card from TigerDirect.com to arrive hopefuly tomarrow. TigerDirect.com has some great deals on video cards. You might want to check there. And if you want to get a whole new system then I would look at Newegg.com as well. Newegg also lets customers post there opinions about the products they have purchased from them next to the product they have bought.
I went with a BFG card because they offer 24/7 tech support and a LIFE TIME warrenty! And the card comes over clocked out of the box. Nice! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
One thing that might help is to read reviews on video cards. There are alot of reviews out on the web so do a google search and read away. All though, I would go with a BFG card. A life time warrenty on an over clocked card out of the box is hard to beat! But that is just my silly opinion. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://img242.echo.cx/img242/9361/mesub6qj.jpg

Onthehunt1970
07-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks for everyones input. Think I'm sold on the BFG after looking into it. Right now a buddy of mine let me use his 6600gt and as rls669 said its not much faster than my old radeon pro which I sold already. I read on Tomshardware about ATI R520 I think it was called suppose to be out this month. **** technology anymore advances so fast its hard to keep up anymore. I ussually goto tomshardware or anandtech to try and keep up. Anyway thanks again for everyones input think I'll bite the bullet and buy a more expensive card and hopefully will keep me upto date for awhile.
Good Hunting

BobV_07
07-07-2005, 07:24 PM
You welcome. That was my thinking as well. I'm kinda biting the bullet my self but I will be able to play any game I want on full settings for now. And when the PCI-E 7800 GTX drops in price I will buy another one and that will make for a nice but cheap upgrade. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

http://img242.echo.cx/img242/9361/mesub6qj.jpg

Onthehunt1970
07-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Has anyone heard or read anything on ATI's R520 chipset? Suppose to be out this month. But like everything else will probably be delayed as ussual.
Theirs nothing worse than a fart that isn't just a fart