PDA

View Full Version : SBD-5 bug

kiddknapp59
12-31-2004, 11:54 PM
I suppose this is one of those realism things and I need to practice more, but the SBD-5 blows up on the carrier deck if I lock the tail wheel before take off. Is this right? Did the real plane do this? It happens in any user made missions and in the campaign I am playing. Doesn€t seem right to me. Kind of an odd feature for a plane. I am running PF stand alone with the latest patch.

kiddknapp59
12-31-2004, 11:54 PM
I suppose this is one of those realism things and I need to practice more, but the SBD-5 blows up on the carrier deck if I lock the tail wheel before take off. Is this right? Did the real plane do this? It happens in any user made missions and in the campaign I am playing. Doesn€t seem right to me. Kind of an odd feature for a plane. I am running PF stand alone with the latest patch.

HotelBushranger
01-01-2005, 12:32 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Strange, thats very wierd. Don't see how it could be a realism thing, but anyway, why lock the tail wheel before take off?

ARM505
01-01-2005, 03:21 AM
Real tail draggers normally require the tail wheel to be locked before takeoff and landing. It is unlocked for taxi at slow speed to improve the turning circle. Take off (and landing) with it locked results in even more chance for wild off-runways excursions than normal. IL2 is more forgiving of the tail draggers general nature, hence we never get into the habit of doing it, although it will track straighter down the runway if locked.

The US had a real problem during the pacific theatre, as all pilots transitioning onto the SBD had of course learned to lock the tail wheel during basic training on the SNJ. With the SBD however, the aircraft's self destruct feature was wired to the tail wheel lock via a microswitch, the designers figuring that carrier bourne aircraft didn't need to lock the tail wheel, "because it's so darn small on those gol'-darn flat-top things!" Many noobs were lost to this little known feature, and after the war it was hushed up due to being "just a really stupid idea." To this day, many people will deny it ever happened, just to try and preserve the image of the American military. Just watch, somebody will try and deny this FACT!

IV_JG51_Razor
01-01-2005, 07:51 AM
If I recall correctly, the key command for locking the tail wheel had to be user assigned. Maybe you should go into your controls section, and check to see that there isn't a conflict with any of your weapon keys.

Question; doe it ONLY do this on the carrier deck, and if so, which carriers?

kiddknapp59
01-01-2005, 10:28 AM
I was teasing about the realism thing (after all the fuss about getting the Corsair off a carrier deck). I€ll have to see if it happens on a real runway. I don€t know which carriers I am flying off of, but I believe it is two different ones; one in the campaign, and a different one in the mission I made.
I use the command to lock the tail wheel on other planes, both land and sea based with no pyrotechnical side effects, so it seems to be just the SBD. And the game will stop you from mapping one command to the same function. I€ll look into it further.

kiddknapp59
01-01-2005, 11:13 AM
I found the problem; me. I DID have the control for locking the tail wheel and dropping bombs very simular. Dropping bombs was the ALT key, locking the tail wheel was ALT B or something like that. When I locked the wheel, I'd drop my bombs on the deck, and BOOM. Duh.

Steaky_361st
01-01-2005, 09:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kiddknapp59:
I found the problem; me. I DID have the control for locking the tail wheel and dropping bombs very simular. Dropping bombs was the ALT key, locking the tail wheel was ALT B or something like that. When I locked the wheel, I'd drop my bombs on the deck, and BOOM. Duh. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Problem solved