PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Zoom on pistols?

Jam_Dammer
07-04-2005, 10:39 PM

Jam_Dammer
07-04-2005, 10:39 PM

RMaule
07-05-2005, 01:54 AM
Maybe they could add a splinter cell type zoom for the pistol, instead of looking down a scope or ironsites it will look over there shoulders and give a little zoom.

jchung
07-05-2005, 07:35 AM
Having optics on a pistol is too much like Halo.

In combat, a pistol is only used when your primary is empty and you don't have time to reload and need to defend at close quarters very quickly. A side arm is rarely used, and having optics on a pistol would make drawing the firearm harder, which defeats the purpose for having it in the first place.

Definitely a no for me.

ghost_sniper819
07-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Maybe they could do somethin like in call of duty u see the center of the gun. But if the put on like a small scope and u press the zoom buttun twice then maybe it could go larger like, 3.5 or somethin.

Jam_Dammer
07-05-2005, 04:37 PM
My suggestion for a 1.5x or 2.0x zoom is strictly for "gaming" purposes and begs that you "forgive" the fact that iron sighted pistols don't have a zoom in reality.

The optional 1.5x zoom on iron sighted pistols in Rainbow comes off very nicely.

Just as we forgive lack of sight movement, and 100 percent always-functional firearms, and have the radar devices from the movie Alien 2 in GR2, I'd like to embellish the characteristics of the pistol ever so slightly.

-Jam

jchung
07-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Actually, I don't like the fact that you can shoot through mag after mag in the game and not have your carbine overheat and jam. Also, no, I do not like the "radar" and threat indicator. If you read many of my past posts, you will see that I also want to see sight movement too, instead of the poor pip system we currently have.

Pistols should be "handicapped" as they are currently in the game, and I for one want to see the game move more toward realism, and less toward being just another video game shooter.

For me personally, I'd rather be out shooting real guns, but obviously I cannot do this 24 hours a day, and whenever I want, so running GR a couple times a week fits the bill. This is why I want more realism and not less, but I know that there are varying opinions on the amount of realism people want. IMHO, more realism would only make this game better, but hey, this is the kind of stuff we are supposed to discuss on this forum right? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Agent Green
07-06-2005, 04:25 AM
Instead of zoom, I'd rather see some way to adjust focus. I can locate, and shoot, faster and more accurately with iron sights than most of my friends with 6x scopes. This being because I adjust my eye focus to see a sharper (not larger) picture of the target. That's with rifles, of course, but I don't think it'd be much different with a pistol.

The only reason I ever do zoom in games is for clarity, where the people mingle with the pixels of everything else. Clicking right stick and pushing up to bring 100+ yards into focus would solve any problems for me.

Jam_Dammer
07-06-2005, 10:10 AM
jchung -

I would support a randomized "jam function" among everyone selecting a self-loading rifle (let's say you will have one "jam" - a failure to feed or extract a bullet - in one of your 10 original magazines and that to clear it, you need to press A to reload, or go to your pistol, and then you loose two rounds in that bad mag from your overall total.

I would support this idea **ONLY** if the transition time from rifle to pistol is cut in half, since I feel the transition time in GR2 is slow, given the cross-chest "patrol carry" sling method used by many of our current soldiers.

-Jam (no pun intended)

jchung
07-06-2005, 11:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jam_Dammer:
I would support this idea **ONLY** if the transition time from rifle to pistol is cut in half, since I feel the transition time in GR2 is slow, given the cross-chest "patrol carry" sling method used by many of our current soldiers.

-Jam (no pun intended) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't even notice the pun. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

You are right that if you have a rifle on a tactical sling, there should only be AT MOST a one second pause before you can shoot your sidearm. Currently it takes just as long to draw your secondary, as it takes to reload. This essentially negates the purpose of having a sidearm in GR.

As far as the jams go, I agree with you, and it is realistic, but there are other elements that are of more importance to me at this time.

I'm really tired of the pip system, the lame and dumb AI, lack of buildings to enter in GR2, no blood to identify downed soldiers, bodies that disappear, enemy that spawn right before your eyes, and the list goes on and on.

I'm not against the jams, but for the moment, I feel there are so many other things that NEED updating and improvement, so that I would hate to see the devs focus on jamming for even a moment.

We are definitely in agreement here, but I just think there are too many other priorities that I would like to see addressed first, but of course later...

Jam_Dammer
07-06-2005, 11:57 AM
jchung said: "Currently it takes just as long to draw your secondary, as it takes to reload. This essentially negates the purpose of having a sidearm in GR."

Yeah, I noticed that too, which is a weakness in GR2 as far as "reality" goes.

In the words of John Farnum (sp), veteran of more than 30 shoot-outs on the NY police department: "the quickest reload is a second (hand)gun."

I'm in total agreement here - going to your secondary weapon should take only half the time it takes to reload your primary, since your secondary is already loaded.

-Jam

Vipx64
07-07-2005, 10:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jchung:
Having optics on a pistol is too much like Halo.

In combat, a pistol is only used when your primary is empty and you don't have time to reload and need to defend at close quarters very quickly. A side arm is rarely used, and having optics on a pistol would make drawing the firearm harder, which defeats the purpose for having it in the first place.

Definitely a no for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The splinter cell idea would work...and like Halo? No zoom for pistol in Halo 2...thank god.

theliberalleft
07-08-2005, 02:00 AM
I think it should be like all the other guns used in Warfighter... show it from the FPSpov. So you can actually see the weapon and maybe just a little bit of your hands holding it.

You hold your pistol out away from your body, so you'd see a little more of what€s around it, as opposed to a rifle.

I think MGS3 does this pretty well from a visual standpoint. Add a little movement into the mix and that's how I'd like it.

<span class="ev_code_red">You should be able to switch to your sidearm much faster when the ammo in your primary runs dry, though</span>

ghost_sniper819
07-08-2005, 08:48 AM
In the other GRs when you change to your pistol it takes like a minute. So i think that ubi should make that a little faster.

Jam_Dammer
07-08-2005, 12:36 PM
theliberalleft said "show it [pistols] from the FPSpov."

yes, Yes, YES, and Oh YES.

Slightly show the top and primarily the back of the pistol being held and supported by both hands in what is called the "Modern Isosceles grip."

-Jam