PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand stun

SilentBobBMFJ
01-15-2011, 10:24 PM
First off, can you stun somebody who is above you, while you're hanging on a ledge? Because he sure as hell killed me from up there, by freakin stomping on my hand. Ya, I fell a whole 14 inches to my death.

And can you stun somebody who is inside hay? This dude came after me, he jumped in the hay, I jumped out quickly, and man, I tapped the **** out of circle, seriously like 8x, to which he came out, and I accidentally jumped in again, then so did he, but I was already out, mashing circle as he came out. He still didn't kill me when he came out either, as I saw on the edge of my screen, his glowing outline, and all the while I'm still mashing circle, and he kills me about a full second later.

Is there like a timer that starts when you hit circle, and your opponent has like 2 days to kill you? When can/can't you stun too? Like give me various scenarios where stun totally won't work, because to me, I'm treating it as a "ha, got you 1 second before you hit square" thing (which isn't working), but if it's not like that, then I guess I should just start sprinting away?

STYJ
01-15-2011, 10:39 PM
un somebody who is above you, while you're hanging on a ledge? Because he sure as hell killed me from up there, by freakin stomping on my hand. Ya, I fell a whole 14 inches to my death.

And can you stun somebody who is inside hay? This dude came after me, he jumped in the hay, I jumped out quickly, and man, I tapped the **** out of circle, seriously like 8x, to which he came out, and I accidentally jumped in again, then so did he, but I was already out, mashing circle as he came out. He still didn't kill me when he came out either, as I saw on the edge of my screen, his glowing outline, and all the while I'm still mashing circle, and he kills me about a full second later.

No you can't stun someone above you, you can't stun someone in the hay, you can't stun someone after he's used poison on you (you can however stun him right at that time when he inflicts poison on you but you'll still die). you'll figure it out eventually (:

and theres always lag to account for .

MrJLBoyyy
01-15-2011, 10:40 PM
No, no, it's used as a humiliation not defense, and you can only "naked" stun when you surprise them. Otherwise use something like smoke or mute.

xCr0wnedNorris
01-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by STYJ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">un somebody who is above you, while you're hanging on a ledge? Because he sure as hell killed me from up there, by freakin stomping on my hand. Ya, I fell a whole 14 inches to my death.

No you can't stun someone above you, you can't stun someone in the hay, you can't stun someone after he's used poison on you (you can however stun him right at that time when he inflicts poison on you but you'll still die). you'll figure it out eventually (:

and theres always lag to account for . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, believe it or not, you can't stun someone if they don't do anything other than walk, you can if they fast walk, just not regular walking. You could be absolutely sure that they're your pursuer, you can mute 'em, smoke bomb 'em, run right into 'em, but it won't let you stun 'em. At least that's what's always happened to me.

Soviet_Mudkip
01-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Cannot stun oppenent in a haystack or on a ledge. They have to be standing at your level.
As for the timer the only way you can pull off a success full stun is pressing stun BEFORE they press Assasinate. If they press it at the same time then they will get the kill (reverse your stun)

Originally posted by xCr0wnedNorris:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by STYJ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">un somebody who is above you, while you're hanging on a ledge? Because he sure as hell killed me from up there, by freakin stomping on my hand. Ya, I fell a whole 14 inches to my death.

Also, believe it or not, you can't stun someone if they don't do anything other than walk, you can if they fast walk, just not regular walking. You could be absolutely sure that they're your pursuer, you can mute 'em, smoke bomb 'em, run right into 'em, but it won't let you stun 'em. At least that's what's always happened to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You CAN stun someone that's just walking. That would be ridiculous if you couldn't. I've done it countless times. Maybe you just experience a lot of lag?

STYJ
01-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by xCr0wnedNorris:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by STYJ:

Also, believe it or not, you can't stun someone if they don't do anything other than walk, you can if they fast walk, just not regular walking. You could be absolutely sure that they're your pursuer, you can mute 'em, smoke bomb 'em, run right into 'em, but it won't let you stun 'em. At least that's what's always happened to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sometimes that happens to me in alliance . But i'm guessing its a bug . usually for wanted, i can stun anyone even if they're not moving lol .

MrJLBoyyy
01-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Oh hey just a reminder that you don't have to make five threads. It's probably considered spam and not friendly.

STYJ
01-15-2011, 10:50 PM
h hey just a reminder that you don't have to make five threads. It's probably considered spam and not friendly.

another friendly tip - don't keep asking , just play the game and you'll figure it out . it's the same as learning something and applying what you've learnt . You can learn everything but when you have to apply it, you don't know how to do it. action speak louder than words . same thing applies here . it's much easier said than done .

SilentBobBMFJ
01-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by MrJLBoyyy:
Oh hey just a reminder that you don't have to make five threads. It's probably considered spam and not friendly.

I know. I thought of the most unfriendly mean thing I could do, and making 5 threads over a few days popped into my head.

You're not my friend, guy. I'm not your guy, buddy. You're not my buddy, friend.

MrRoboto578
01-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by SilentBobBMFJ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrJLBoyyy:

I know. I thought of the most unfriendly mean thing I could do, and making 5 threads over a few days popped into my head.

You're not my friend, guy. I'm not your guy, buddy. You're not my buddy, friend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not friendly as in best buddies, but friendly as in community friendly, and will bring you much flaming. Your just forum illiterate, and they were trying to help. Try to humble yourself for once and listen to logic and reason. Get's you places, kid... get's you places. Now stop being a little twelve-year-old and shut up.

papartusedmcrsk
01-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Anddddd......

<span class="ev_code_RED">Topic Closed</span> http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Gabelous01
01-17-2011, 12:25 AM
While I will accept Assassinate has priority over Stun I have seen some real BS moves that I would like to think was simple lag. Many many times I have identified my pursuer and got to his side, and literally halfway through the stun animation he kills me. I simply assume if I'm doing the stun animation then logically I got it off first, but at times it is never the case.

I'd like to see some tweaks that would allow/reward clever or intelligent players in stunning pursuers. I don't think it should be easy, but I don't like seeing a clever ploy setup only to fail miserably because all he had to do was mash his button. The only successful stuns I ever did was animation-related, with a couple being completely blind luck in disguise.

Rainie
01-17-2011, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Gabelous:
While I will accept Assassinate has priority over Stun I have seen some real BS moves that I would like to think was simple lag. Many many times I have identified my pursuer and got to his side, and literally halfway through the stun animation he kills me. I simply assume if I'm doing the stun animation then logically I got it off first, but at times it is never the case.

I'd like to see some tweaks that would allow/reward clever or intelligent players in stunning pursuers. I don't think it should be easy, but I don't like seeing a clever ploy setup only to fail miserably because all he had to do was mash his button. The only successful stuns I ever did was animation-related, with a couple being completely blind luck in disguise.

are you trying to stun without using an ability?

FearlessSpeach
01-17-2011, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Gabelous:

If you are seeing the interrupt, it means you both hit it at the same time. This also probably means you went for a naked stun (no abilities use, no clever use of corners to prey on LoS coding discrepancies, no stun from inside a morph group right before/during lure). Honestly, I've never witnessed my target doing the wind up. Its just another animation, and the games way of telling you that you both hit it at the same time. Unfortunately, knife beats fist - at least, until they make Rainie playable and give her boxing gloves.

For the 10 millionth time, do not rely on stun alone. Go watch Rainie's vids. Notice her 10 billion stuns, very few of them are done without some ability use or clever trickery. You cannot ever expect to walk up to your pursuer and simply hit stun and stay alive.

tallinn1960
01-17-2011, 04:01 AM
First off, can you stun somebody who is above you, while you're hanging on a ledge?

Yes, you can. Stun becomes available in a drop-kill position.

However, it is very unlikely that your pursuer won't notice you there. I managed to do something like that only two times in almost 1000 sessions of Wanted.

Rainie
01-17-2011, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by FearlessSpeach:
Unfortunately, knife beats fist - at least, until they make Rainie playable and give her boxing gloves.

Dude....I so want boxing gloves now, they would look wicked on the thief http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

SilentBobBMFJ
01-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by SargeAssassin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SilentBobBMFJ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrJLBoyyy:

You're not my friend, guy. I'm not your guy, buddy. You're not my buddy, friend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not friendly as in best buddies, but friendly as in community friendly, and will bring you much flaming. Your just forum illiterate, and they were trying to help. Try to humble yourself for once and listen to logic and reason. Get's you places, kid... get's you places. Now stop being a little twelve-year-old and shut up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm 26 first off, and secondly, you missed my South Park reference apparently, which was meant to sum the post up as being only semi-serious.

But the reason I said the first part was because I came from the Uncharted 2 forums, where half of all threads had what we called wannabe mods or whatever other name you can think of. They seriously would go from thread to thread, insulting you because you didn't use the search. If you said anything that was mentioned in another thread, they'd tell you to use the search, over and over. Or tell you that you posted something against the rules (we're talking tiny little things, nothing offensive). Basically you had people who wish they could be a mod, going around trying to tell other people how to post. I will not have that here. However, like I said above, it wasn't that serious, and was meant to be a joke.

I'm far from forum illiterate, but you can't please everybody. If you do, you won't be pleasing yourself, as you'll be reluctant to say much of what you wanted to say, in fear somebody will tell you you posted wrong.

As I'm typing this I see what papartusedmcrsk said below your post. This is another thing the wannabe mods would do, is say "in b4 da lok" and other such stupid things. It's like people want threads to be closed. Every time a thread has a little hiccup (argument, off-topic, etc.), it gets locked, is that what you want papart? Basically you're cheering for a lock, which is like cheering for censorship.

FearlessSpeach
01-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by kriticalraine:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FearlessSpeach:
Unfortunately, knife beats fist - at least, until they make Rainie playable and give her boxing gloves.

Dude....I so want boxing gloves now, they would look wicked on the thief http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you not see my post in the offical MP wants thread suggesting you as a new persona?

Dolly supported it.

Go voice your support. Viva La Rainivolution.

obliviondoll
01-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Viva La Rainivolution.
This.
Is.
AWESOME!

Back on topic, though...

Basically you had people who wish they could be a mod, going around trying to tell other people how to post. I will not have that here.
YOU won't have that here? So you're a mod now? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Sorry... ACTUALLY back on topic now...

I love that, for once, a thread about this is titled "I don't understand stun" instead of "stun is broken" or "need to fix stun" - well done OP on acknowledging the possibility many posters before you failed to see.

Had been looking like the thread was derailing pretty hard when the "topic closed" line came up though, so even though it's back on track now, there was a definite "ready for mods" vibe starting to kick in.

But stun is definitely something many people have trouble with, particularly when they're first learning the game.

WAY too many people think of it as a direct defensive action, or as an attack/counter - it's not going to succeed when you use it that way, and until you stop trying, it will never be a useful source of points.

FearlessSpeach
01-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FearlessSpeach:
Viva La Rainivolution.
This.
Is.
AWESOME!

Back on topic, though...

Basically you had people who wish they could be a mod, going around trying to tell other people how to post. I will not have that here.
YOU won't have that here? So you're a mod now? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Sorry... ACTUALLY back on topic now...

I love that, for once, a thread about this is titled "I don't understand stun" instead of "stun is broken" or "need to fix stun" - well done OP on acknowledging the possibility many posters before you failed to see.

Had been looking like the thread was derailing pretty hard when the "topic closed" line came up though, so even though it's back on track now, there was a definite "ready for mods" vibe starting to kick in.

But stun is definitely something many people have trouble with, particularly when they're first learning the game.

WAY too many people think of it as a direct defensive action, or as an attack/counter - it's not going to succeed when you use it that way, and until you stop trying, it will never be a useful source of points. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are going to adopt the defensive play style of seeking stuns, I have two directions of advice.

A) Watch videos. There are countless youtube videos of people getting stuns, Jack-Reacher - his YouTube account is under the name DemonReacher - posted a really good vid of 14(18?) stuns in one match, Rainie's channel is basically a montage of how i r 2 stunz, etc. Youtbue-> AC:B + Stun

B) Never go for a naked stun. Ever. Yes, there are occasions on with it will succeed, but its best not to even think of that possibilty because it will lead to far too many attempts. If you want to get stuns, you need to use an ability. Smoke bomb, mute, decoy, disguise, morph, something. SB and mute are the most commonly used due to the fact that they make your pursuer unable to attack you.

Using smoke bomb and mute will take practice. You simply have to practice to learn how far away your pursuer should be before you deploy the ability. Searching Rainie will probably come up with several of her posts in which she discusses distance in terms of steps. Personally I think of it in terms of screen distance - like many people, I only play on one TV and always at the same distance from it, and dolly probably uses some demonic unit of evilness and proximity (since he is pure ebil). Find a unit that works for you, and lear how to adjust it based on speed.

If you find yourself in a situation where it is immensely obvious who both you and your pursuer are, to lure them into a stun will be a bit more challenging. Personally, I find it helps to keep walking away from them, but vary between fast and normal walk(x buttonz). That way, they are more likely to stay in fast walk, slowly reducing the distance (this works best if you find yourself on a rooftop for instance). Then, once you think they have over commited, smoke'em. Beware, many people know that people go for stuns, so they will try to bait you into wasting your ability. Mind games. Edit: Be really careful on rooftops. If its not flat, the bomb is going to deploy at the elevation of the roof just infront of you, so if you are facing away on a pyramid roof, it will be infront and below you, meaning it will most likely not affect your puruser, In this case, I find its best to turn back towards them just before you bomb (Hopefully fast enough they can't react).

Also, Charge is a great way to get stuns. Fairly long cd though, but if you get it off (and aren't too close, really about the same range as smoke bomb) you are sure to get the stun- they can hit kirr as much as they want. Only way to counter a charge stun is to stop it with smoke or mute, or simply out run it, which is a bit difficult since you be chargin and all. Additionally, charge stuns get you credit towards the headbutt challenge.

papartusedmcrsk
01-17-2011, 06:19 PM
WAY too many people think of it as a direct defensive action, or as an attack/counter - it's not going to succeed when you use it that way...

Way to many a time people come strolling out of their morphed group to try and stun me when I either had no clue which one they were or was about to kill the wrong one.

Only time I ever use stun in an offensive manner is when I have Mute or I see them stumbling around facing the other direction.

And @OP

I thought it was funny at the time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Sorry you didn't. Lol.

vignesh428
01-17-2011, 06:22 PM
you know what ****es me off if i see someone from a roof and he is below damn i really wish you can aerial stun that guy cause this happens to me a lot.

obliviondoll
01-17-2011, 06:23 PM
dolly probably uses some demonic unit of evilness and proximity (since he is pure ebil).
I'm not evil.

Just <STRIKE>a vampire</STRIKE> crazy.

Other than that, though, great post. And it's Jack-Reacher - his YouTube account is under the name DemonReacher, I think.

FearlessSpeach
01-17-2011, 06:29 PM
dolly probably uses some demonic unit of evilness and proximity (since he is pure ebil).
I'm not evil.

Other than that, though, great post. And it's Jack-Reacher - his YouTube account is under the name DemonReacher, I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you sparkle in the sunlight?

And thanks for jack's name, I'll edit to include it. Happen to know how many stuns the vid had? I forget the number. Know it was in the teens, pretty sure 18 cus he said he wanted to make it an even 20...

obliviondoll
01-17-2011, 06:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:
I'm not evil.

Other than that, though, great post. And it's Jack-Reacher - his YouTube account is under the name DemonReacher, I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And thanks for jack's name, I'll edit to include it. Happen to know how many stuns the vid had? I forget the number. Know it was in the teens, pretty sure 18 cus he said he wanted to make it an even 20... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're thinking fairies.
Unfortunately, so was the author of the Twilight books, but nobody was smart enough to correct her. Just because they have Renfield's Syndrome, doesn't mean they're not fairies.

As for the stun vid, not sure. Sorry.

FearlessSpeach
01-17-2011, 06:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:
I'm not evil.

And thanks for jack's name, I'll edit to include it. Happen to know how many stuns the vid had? I forget the number. Know it was in the teens, pretty sure 18 cus he said he wanted to make it an even 20... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're thinking fairies.
Unfortunately, so was the author of the Twilight books, but nobody was smart enough to correct her. Just because they have Renfield's Syndrome, doesn't mean they're not fairies.

As for the stun vid, not sure. Sorry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you were hotter when i thought you sparkled.

obliviondoll
01-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Was I also hotter when you thought I was a girl?

FearlessSpeach
01-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Was I also hotter when you thought I was a girl? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I've always known you were a guy dolly. This is part of what makes you so h@wt.