PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys recommend?

Sir_Osis_
12-19-2005, 02:50 AM
I'm sure it's just a matter of preference, but what do you recommend when coming across ways of raising stats: give the increase to a character with really low scores to help balance them out, or give it to a character who is already high in the stat to make them crazy powerful?

MDS_Geist
12-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Depends on whether or not the low stats are crippling as well as if raising it will give a substnatial bonus. For example, a fighter in heavy armor has no need for very high dex. It also depends on your items since some give very nice bonuses.

Thrasher91604
12-19-2005, 02:53 PM
I Agree. It depends on the balance of your party, the classes it contains, and you're playing style.

There's probably overkill levels on certain attributes like charisma and wisdom for spell-casters. Once nothing saves your spells or undead turning that's probably good enough. For a sorcerer or cleric, make sure you have enough for the 8th level spells (18 or above). Rangers and paladins are less critical.

Some attributes are best to keep at 10 or above no matter the class to have at least average saving throws, and non-negative effects on things like armor class and HPs. Wisdom, constitution, dexterity come to mind.

Above average constitution is good for everyone - extra HPs and better fortitude saving throws. If your mage or thief is dying a lot, give extras to him/her. Otherwise, your warriors can always use the extra HPs.

Intelligence is good for extra skill points, but haven't had a real need for them yet. Make sure your thief has at least average intelligence to be able to open traps.

For warriors and monks, max strength and constitution. For warriors, dexterity should be about average (don't bother going above 12 since you'll most likely be wearing heavy armor that limits any dexterity bonus to AC). There's some armor that trades other benefits for lower AC, so higher max dexterity bonus can be helpful in these cases. But for tanks, it's probably more beneficial to boost your constitution instead to be able to absorb the extra HPs rather than avoid the hits. Dexterity does help with reflex saving throws and ranged weapons, though, but it's not as important as constitution and strength.

Mages, thieves, and monks should have high dexterity. Every 2 points reduces AC by one. Once the damage rate gets low enough, stop adding. For a mage, get your Charisma up to 18 first. You want to maximize the power of your spells (fewer saves) and get 8th level ones.

For all classes, keep strength at least average to allow you to carry a few extra things like specialized weapons, etc. Slightly above average helps with thief sneak attacks, too.

Ramble off ...

Raylis
12-22-2005, 12:24 AM
I usually lean towards raising odd stats, it raises the modifier. If they're all even, for example Con, I usually give the boost to a front liner, the one with the lower AC.