PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Trim

hmkim
02-10-2006, 08:02 PM
I mostly fly a 109 or a 190. Unless rudder-trimmed, those babies always bank. Today, I flew a La-7 for the first time. It flew like a straight arrow without trimming at all. Curious, I randomly selected the Hellcat and flew it. It was pretty much stable just like the La-7. Did I observe idiosycracies of the German fighters or what?!?!? Thanks in advance.

berg417448
02-10-2006, 08:09 PM
The 109 and 190 do not have pilot adjustable rudder trim just like the real ones. Trim was adjusted on the ground to match cruise speed. The 190 flies very straight at around 280 to 300 mph cruising speed (60% throttle or so).

The Hellcat does have pilot adjustable trim. Don't know about the LA.

Chuck_Older
02-10-2006, 08:12 PM
The Hellcat was a carrier-borne fighter, and for the most part, one of the cardinal virtues of carrier aircraft is stability and low speed handling http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

antifreeze
02-11-2006, 03:54 AM
Curious. My La5's or La7's (and most other Allied aircraft) bank unless they are at their cruise speed and throttle. The fact that hardly any of them have aileron trim makes it difficult to adjust them properly for hands-off flight - using elevator and rudder trim to balance the rolling means that the aircraft is sideslipping (= less efficiency, speed and energy), so usually I choose to just fly around holding the stick off-centre.

Chuck_Older
02-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Antifreeze:
Curious. My La5's or La7's (and most other Allied aircraft) bank unless they are at their cruise speed and throttle. The fact that hardly any of them have aileron trim makes it difficult to adjust them properly for hands-off flight - using elevator and rudder trim to balance the rolling means that the aircraft is sideslipping (= less efficiency, speed and energy), so usually I choose to just fly around holding the stick off-centre.

You've answered yourself http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

"My La5's or La7's (and most other Allied aircraft) bank unless they are at their cruise speed and throttle."

This is a difference in a sim or game, compared to real life. In real life, you wouldn't be flying around at full throttle all day long- you'd be at cruising speed, for a variety of reasons, including fuel economy. In the sim, there's no penalty for doing this aside from being out of trim

You're fighting the stick to keep the plane straight and level because that's precisely how the plane should react to the trim that's been set