PDA

View Full Version : OK, is something funny going on here??

hi_stik
02-23-2006, 10:10 AM
OK, forgive me, but this is only my 3rd or 4th day of playing this game, but I believe I have seen some cheating in this game. I went to some server that was only dogfighting (334th something-or-other), and I saw several guys shoot me down at ground level, and they collided with the ground, yet didn't crash. Then, on another server, some guy in a Spitfire did this warp-speed manoeuvre, where they laterally displaced their plane a thousand metres or more, an impossible feat by any means. Is this cheating, or some flaw in the game? the 2nd instance was on one of those full realism servers, where the sides have missions to accomplish (scenarios made by some guy Heinz). I was pissed because I had the guy lined up, too.

Chuck_Older
02-23-2006, 10:15 AM
What you're seeing is almost without a doubt because of the nature of the internet, not cheats

WB_Outlaw
02-23-2006, 10:15 AM
HS,
What you saw are called warps and occur b/c of poor connections (sometimes intentional and thus cheating), either at the server end or a players end. Keep in mind that the player with the connection problem may be the one seeing the warps.
I was on the war clouds server last night while you were up and only saw one warp. Since you saw the problem on more than one server your connection might be the issue.

--Outlaw.

hi_stik
02-23-2006, 10:33 AM
I guess it could be me, but I thought cable internet was fast and good. Who knows? as stated before, I'm totally new to this game (I've been playing Jedi Academy for years, a FAR different game from this), and it's been 12 years since I stopped playing Aces of the Pacific, my last flight sim. The planes "bouncing" off the ground could be just accidental, but that guy warping away from me seemed too good to be true. Not that I would have hit him, though, because I stink.

WB_Outlaw
02-23-2006, 10:42 AM
HS,
Cable connections can be fast but remember, you are sharing a wire and if your segment has lots of customers, you may experience latency problems.
If you're gonna hit the War Clouds server again, I suggest using their Team Speak server. I called a break to you but you weren't on the voice server. Hope that Spit didn't work you over too bad. Below is a link to the War Clouds website.

http://www.war-clouds.com/

--Outlaw.

hi_stik
02-23-2006, 10:49 AM
THANKS, Outlaw, I'll get it set up tonight when I get back home. I fiddle around in forums and stuff here at work. I'm a lazy and uninspired worker. Heehee...

Cworth
02-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Alot of times the problem is not even at your end or the servers end.

You also have to remember that you are hopping from one router to another when you connect to a server.

Just run a trace on the IP of the server you are connecting to.You will see that you may be making anywhere from 5-25+ hops from your home to the server.

And if anyone of those routers you are hopping to between you and the server is over busy,having problems etc. your connection to the server will be hampered.Hense you will sometimes have alot of packet loss which is the server not recieving all of the info your computer is sending to the server or you not getting all the info the server is sending you..hence causing the lag or warping.

Wilburnator
02-23-2006, 12:52 PM
I play some at 334th Dedicated and I don't see much of warping. I have been in games on servers that for me at least, seem to be running flawlessly. And yet there are people in that same game, complaining about the lag of the server, or that everyone else is warping, etc, etc.

I generally have an excellent connection with my cable, but sometimes late at night it goes haywire for a short time and I'll see some funky stuff, and occasionally get disconnected. Just remember if you see alot of warping, the problem MIGHT be at your end.

Salute

Tully__
02-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Warping occurs when information packets are lost. They can be lost due to:

- Connection problems at the target end.
- Connection problems at the server
- Connect problems at the client end (your ISP)
- Routing problems somewhere between target/client and server
- Too much mission for the server machine
- Too much mission for the target's PC
- Too much mission for the client PC (your machine)
- Conflicts in demand for network access at the server
- Conflicts in demand for network access at the target PC
- Conflicts in demand for network access at the client PC (your machine)
- Poor PC maintenance at the server/target/client PC
- Inadequate hardware at the server/target/client PC

As a rough guide:
- if you're the only one seeing the problem it's likely your machine/connection
- if everyone is seeing the problem for all targets, it's likely the server
- if everyone is seeing the problem but it's only for one target it's likely the target's connection/PC.

Most servers are set up to kick targets that cause problems and most servers that have problems have no-one in them, so if you're having problems on all servers it would pay to post in the community help forum and see if there are any problems that can be traced on your machine/connection.

VW-IceFire
02-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by hi_stik:
I guess it could be me, but I thought cable internet was fast and good. Who knows? as stated before, I'm totally new to this game (I've been playing Jedi Academy for years, a FAR different game from this), and it's been 12 years since I stopped playing Aces of the Pacific, my last flight sim. The planes "bouncing" off the ground could be just accidental, but that guy warping away from me seemed too good to be true. Not that I would have hit him, though, because I stink.
Cable internet is not fast and good. Its decent enough and sometimes reliable but definately not in the fast and good category http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

High speed internet is just as prone to experiencing some hickups with lag, packetloss, server based glitches and pretty much anything that can happen between the other guy, the server, and your computer. Sometimes its a wonder that this stuff works at all.

This games netcode is actually fairly decent. I've played some games where you'll be shooting at someone, hitting them, but no damage is done and you can do this for several seconds before it starts to register. I've never seen anything like that.

What you saw is related to internet problems and not likely to be cheating. Keep in mind that the game has this horribly translated message that says "Cheating has been detected!" which in terms of English/Russian translation simply means that there is some form of connection problem somewhere with one of the users on the server. It doesn't meant there was cheating...while no game is completely cheat free, this one is pretty close.

slo_1_2_3
02-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by hi_stik:
THANKS, Outlaw, I'll get it set up tonight when I get back home. I fiddle around in forums and stuff here at work. I'm a lazy and uninspired worker. Heehee...

What if i'm your boss?
and i were standing behind you?

DudeAbides82
03-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Ha Ha.. I noticed there was no reply to that one!! Uh-oh...