PDA

View Full Version : What's an influence fuse?

S VIIC_41
04-09-2005, 03:24 PM
A G7e T-III is supposed to be a T-2 with an influence fuse, but what's an influence fuse? o_O

And, could someone clear up the names of torpedoes for me?

I understand G is the diameter, 7 is the length and e (or a etc.) is the propulsion system but I've a question about the T numbers.

You have a G7a T-I, and then a G7e T-II, T-III etc. Was there ever a G7e T-I?

Or did they only give the names T-# when a kind of torpedo entered service?

I suppose I'm mostly kind of wondering for this thing I'm doing, should I refer to them as the G7e T-I or just the T-I or what?

Like... there's only one T-I right? same with T-II and T anything? I can basically just ignore G7e and G7a completely?

Fazzx
04-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Good website about Torpedoes used by the germans in WW2.

Torpedoes (http://www.one35th.com/submarine/molch_topedo.htm)
------------------------------------------------
And for the influence fuse, i believe it means a magnetic set torpedo.

An impact fuse would detonate when the fuse would collide with a surface.

An influence fuse would detonate when it would detect the influence of a magnetic field (( ship's hull )).

I may be wrong but that's what i understood from reading a few webpages about torpedoes.

S VIIC_41
04-09-2005, 03:58 PM
You see... I thought T-IIs had magnetic fuses so that wouldn't make sense http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

I mean... if they didn't, I doubt Ubi would've let such a HUGE mistake in as giving T-I and T-II torpedoes magnetic fuses when they had none.

I hear magnetic fuses were actually taken out completely after the Norwegian campaign and not put back in service until 1943 or so which isn't reflected in the game but I believe T-Is and IIs had magnetic fuses... which leaves the question, what's an influence fuse?

Does anyone here know?

Mjollnir111675
04-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Influence is as it implies.
Influence is what triggers it to explode.
Take a business my father ran, they made degaussing units fer modern Navies of NATO.
Well they(well all navies do) wanted complete invisibilty to magnetic influenced mines.
Which means they aren't the prickly,cactus type mines. Those are contact mines. Physical influenced. Meaning you have to touch or move them thru either the hull or churned up seas.These mines also work on the inital explosion to damage a vessel.
Now we come to magnetic influenced mines.
These mines work off of lifting a ship out of the water as much as possible to literally snap the keel(backbone). They do this with an air bubble, if you will.
There are lines(fields) around the globe (just think the lat & long lines) that are the mag fields of the earth cue to mineral deposits and so on.
A mag influenced mine is programmed to its specific spot on earth and if a ship who hasn't been depermed is still magnetized. This you get when you change the molecular structure of metal. Bending it even hitting it with a hammer.
Anyway being magnetized gives a ship its own mag field. The mine knows what is accepted as far as natural mag fields go.So any deviation from what is programmed or is a likely warship the mine knows this and BANG!!
Now the depth of explosion will decide how big the airpocket is that reaches the surface thus lifting the ship outta the water.
You see a magnetic mine doesn't have to be anywhere near the surface.And the explosion @ depth decides the size of the airpocket that increases with every ATM. it ascends which equates the damage.
Now a mag influenced WWII torp is the same.'Cept not as accurate and ALOT more touchy to the earths mag fields.
You want to run it underneath the hull as close as you can. This is where the draft measurements come in handy. Set them fer 1 Mtr. below and blow sheeot up.
Impact pistols are fer when ya wanna smack it in the side hull.
But take into consideration that one mag influenced torp underneath that same Merchant or even better DD is gonna damage it more than you think.
And yes WWII mag influence torps have bugs, but have ya ever run one under a DD @ 180 deg. @ 410 mtrs. and have it save yer @r5e?
I have more than a few times and I'll take mag torps over impact in all seas except fer heavy seas.

I may have lost ya and I am truly sorry as the brew has been goin' down smoothly.

Think of it this way:
If a man robbed you @ gunpoint why did you give up yer cash?
Cuz you were INFLUENCED by a firearm. Shur ya could've whooped his @r5e but that pistol influenced you otherwise.

S VIIC_41
04-10-2005, 09:04 AM
That was pretty informative...

but does that mean then, that an influence fuse IS a magnetic fuse?

In which case... were the T-IIIs the first torpedoes to have magnetic fuses?

In which case... that would mean that Ubi has made a HUGE mistake.

Frederf220
04-10-2005, 11:33 AM
"Magnetic" aka "Influence" aka "Magnetic Influence" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif As in the pistol is set off by a strong enough influence from a magnetic field.

Where are you reading that the TypeIII had a fuse the TypesI and II didn't? They all have magnetic influence and impact pistols, the TypeIII wasn't new in that regard, although it probably improved on both designs.

Game manual page 51.

Historically, I think, many TypeIs and TypeIIs were issued or employed without the magnetic fuse because of problems with it, but in game all Is and IIs have the mag fuse intact.

S VIIC_41
04-10-2005, 01:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Where are you reading that the TypeIII had a fuse the TypesI and II didn't? They all have magnetic influence and impact pistols, the TypeIII wasn't new in that regard, although it probably improved on both designs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On U-boat.net and seemingly on all sites with torpedo info, I'm seeing the T-III described as

"as T-II but with an influence fuse"

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif now that obviously implies that the T-II did not have an influence fuse.

However... maybe it means that it was as T-II but ALWAYS with an influence fuse? Since the T-IIs had it taken out and for a lot of time the T-IIs therefore didn't have an influence fuse (and neither did the T-Is) but T-IIIs have it as standard and working without much malfunction?

... must be something like that. Basically a more reliable T-II.