PDA

View Full Version : Radeon X1650 AGP card

Sillius_Sodus
05-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Hi,

I have an old system, P4 2.8 2Gb ram and an older 6600GT 128Mb AGP 8X video card. I recently upgraded to a 22' LCD monitor and run IL2 at a resolution of 1600X1050. This, combined with the increased eye candy of some of the mods are beginning to be too much for the old video card.

I'd like to wait until the release of SOW before getting a new system an I know IL2 is heavily cpu dependent, but in order to get a bit more out of my current system I am planning to replace my current video card with a Radeon X1650 512Mb AGP 8X card (my mobo does not have a pcie slot).

Before I install the new card, is there anything special I need to know that will help it all go smoothly? Is there a particular video driver I should download? Any tweaks to IL2's config.ini file I need to do? I'm running Win XP Pro.

Thanks!

Sillius_Sodus
05-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Hi,

I have an old system, P4 2.8 2Gb ram and an older 6600GT 128Mb AGP 8X video card. I recently upgraded to a 22' LCD monitor and run IL2 at a resolution of 1600X1050. This, combined with the increased eye candy of some of the mods are beginning to be too much for the old video card.

I'd like to wait until the release of SOW before getting a new system an I know IL2 is heavily cpu dependent, but in order to get a bit more out of my current system I am planning to replace my current video card with a Radeon X1650 512Mb AGP 8X card (my mobo does not have a pcie slot).

Before I install the new card, is there anything special I need to know that will help it all go smoothly? Is there a particular video driver I should download? Any tweaks to IL2's config.ini file I need to do? I'm running Win XP Pro.

Thanks!

FI_Sacktime
05-03-2009, 08:20 PM
If you are using a AGP, check out probably the best ATI AGP card released in awhile.

Sapphire ATI HD3850

Price should be under $100 and other than the Hotfix drivers are sometimes slow to be released. You have many driver versions to select from, sometimes the newest drivers aren't the best for IL2, so you should be able to find a driver optimal to your system.

Sillius_Sodus
05-07-2009, 05:02 PM
I just installed this card, and while it runs well enough when I tried to download and install the CCC suite from ATI I got an error message saying that no compatible driver or hardware could be found. It's a no-name card and I'm running Win XP pro 32 bit.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Flight_boy1990
05-08-2009, 08:17 PM
That's because ATI excluded the older cards up to HD 2900 from the monthly CCC update,so they can concentrate on the newer hardware.
I suggest you to try the CCC 9.1,it still supports the older models,and is the last one to support the cards below HD 2900.

BTW i still have an AGP 8x slot only mobo,and since there's still quite a live in my PC now,and i didn't wanted to throw it to the junk yard,i bought the HD 3850 512 MB GDD3 version,had problems with IL-2 stuttering at the beginning,but now it's all fine and smooth.