PDA

View Full Version : American units

sjbrody
12-07-2004, 08:21 PM
How do you get the airspeed and altitude to be presented as mph and feet as opposed to kmh and meters? The program was loaded with US English as the language.

mortoma
12-07-2004, 08:27 PM
You have to go into the controls section and manually assign a key or key combination for that purpose. They didn't assign one for us for some weird reason.

WTE_Dukayn
12-07-2004, 08:42 PM
same reason they dont assign a Tailhook button for carrier aircraft. They just dont.

HotelBushranger
12-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Far out, wht the hell does it have to be US English? They didn't make the language, and it isnt aany different from UK Enlgish or whatever

VW-IceFire
12-07-2004, 09:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HotelBushranger:
Far out, wht the hell does it have to be US English? They didn't make the language, and it isnt aany different from UK Enlgish or whatever <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Try and have some more respect for new forum members. US English is largely a technical term...it says it on the Windows configuration systems...leave it be.

I think it should just say English...but then there's different spellings and its all tied into that dictionary system and yeah...technical term.

Athosd
12-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Assign a key/key combo (I use Alt B) to the command "Toggle Speed Bar".

This will allow you to cycle through Kmh and Metres, Knots and feet, Mph and feet, no speedbar.

The developers do not assign keys to new commands because of the existing user base - forcing key assignments would mess with thousands of users established configurations.

The task only takes a moment and you only need to do it once.

Cheers

Athos

AH_Cutora
12-08-2004, 06:10 AM
One way: assign key for speed bar toggle and use only one set of units.

Second way: recomputation of speed and altitude.

Altitude: meters or feets
1 m = 3.28 ft
1 ft = 0.3048 m

Distances and speed: km - km/h, mile - kts, nautical mile - mph
1 mile = 1.609 km
1 kts = 1.609 km/h

1 nm = 1.852 km
1 mph = 1.852 km/h

There is no chaos betwen miles, realy no ;-) Fantastic world of inches, feets, yards, miles ....

Chuck_Older
12-08-2004, 10:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HotelBushranger:
Far out, wht the hell does it have to be US English? They didn't make the language, and it isnt aany different from UK Enlgish or whatever <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif It sure is different. What is a "f a g" in England? What is a "f a g" in the US?

NORAD_Zooly10
12-08-2004, 11:04 AM
some Words are spelt differently in the USA, for example: color (US) colour (UK) and honor (US) honour (UK). i could go on but i'll leave it at that.
btw the date system is different the US use MM/DD/YY, the UK has the day and month the other way around, DD/MM/YY.
~S~
Zooly

horseback
12-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Speaking as an American who has spent some time in Great Britain, there are huge differences in how the language is spoken; in rhythm, standard word choice, and where the words are accented, never mind what some words mean. This goes way beyond 'you say tomay-toe, I say tomah-toe.'

It normally takes me a couple of days to understand immediately what people are saying to me, even if I prepare by watching BBC America exclusively for a couple of days (okay, there is a jet lag factor, but I lived there for five of the first ten years of my life).

We remain "two great peoples seperated by a common language."

Actually, the ability to toggle the Speedbar units is a pretty great concession to those of you who can't wrap your minds around the metric system.

cheers

horseback

Huckebein_UK
12-08-2004, 12:40 PM
There are a great many differences in the way the 'two languages' are spoken, but when it's written down we all understand each other perfectly, so why the need to distinguish between the two? Btw, to answer an earlier question, 'f a g' in England is either a coarse word for 'someone of homosexual orientation', or an inoffensive, and therefore more common, nickname for a cigarette. I'm not certain of the US 'definition', but I'm pretty sure the former of the two is similar in America?

javierib
12-08-2004, 07:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AH_Cutora:
One way: assign key for speed bar toggle and use only one set of units.

Second way: recomputation of speed and altitude.

Altitude: meters or feets
1 m = 3.28 ft
1 ft = 0.3048 m

Distances and speed: km - km/h, mile - kts, nautical mile - mph
1 mile = 1.609 km
1 kts = 1.609 km/h

1 nm = 1.852 km
1 mph = 1.852 km/h

There is no chaos betwen miles, realy no ;-) Fantastic world of inches, feets, yards, miles .... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you meant:

1 mile = 1.609 km
1 mph = 1.609 km/h

1 nm = 1.852 km
1 kts = 1.852 km/h