PDA

View Full Version : "The enemy is pinging us, sir"

andytimtim87
04-01-2005, 04:54 AM
Is there anyway to counter this?

I spent almost an hour waiting for destroyers to return to the convoy but always ending up pinging me and finding out where i was!

Tomus
04-01-2005, 06:36 AM
Run deep is my best advice and quiet.

Also when the destroyer is on its DC run, in the early war they needed to run at flank speed to avoid the blast of the charge as it went off as the charges were literally rolled off the back of the ship. This speed would baffle the ships sonar and create a blind spot. This gives you a good maneovering opportunity to hit full rudder and go to flank speed. This should at least get you positionally out of the area where the destroyer was.

Later in the war then TBH you are in trouble and once forced under by DDs your best hope is to get the hell out the area, as they have forward firing hedgehogs and DC launchers which means the DD can maintin ASDIC contact.

Otherwise just twist and turn and go silent and deep as you can get. But as 75% of Uboat crews were wiped out, its gonna be difficult once they have a fix and more than one it gets very very hard.

Slingn
04-01-2005, 08:10 AM
i've seemed to have better luck staying around 20 meters and sneaking away slowly

Timber...wolf
04-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Yal make sure its on Rig for silent running and in theory you should show as small a foot print as possible like show them - this in stead of / this (the angle of your boat to them) but when there are many pinging ya forgetaboutit

CaptainRadish
04-01-2005, 10:28 AM
When they start pinging you (no matter what part of the war, it seems) the best defense is to go to periscope depth and cruise near the surface. The surface churn confuses ASDIC and can often confuse the DD as well. These tactics tend to work well for me.