PDA

View Full Version : Question about USAAF markings

I_JG78_Max
11-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Hello,

I am curios about the USAAF markings. Especially about the fighters. I noticed that in 1946 the P51s sometimes have letters instead of numbers, depending on what map you are flying. So I first thought, that letters where used by fighters in the PTO, but I have seen historical skins for the P51 of units that operated over europe, i believe.

So can you explain me, how the USAAF handled this? A short summary will be enough, if it is a too bulky topic.

Thanks in advance,

III./JG27_Max

I_JG78_Max
11-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Hello,

I am curios about the USAAF markings. Especially about the fighters. I noticed that in 1946 the P51s sometimes have letters instead of numbers, depending on what map you are flying. So I first thought, that letters where used by fighters in the PTO, but I have seen historical skins for the P51 of units that operated over europe, i believe.

So can you explain me, how the USAAF handled this? A short summary will be enough, if it is a too bulky topic.

Thanks in advance,

III./JG27_Max

jarink
11-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Let me first say that the in-game markings stink. I think they are based on nationality instead of map, though.

USAAF fighters in the ETO didn't use number codes; they all used the 3-character codes like those used by the RAF. In the PTO, the only place I know of for sure that number codes were used on P-51s was for the three Iwo Jima-based groups (15th, 21st and 506th).