PDA

View Full Version : Hiding in the clouds during multi player

S1rkillalot
11-28-2004, 07:44 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gifWell, yes, I do that sometimes because my level is really pathetic and I'm trying to get some rest from the guy at my six who is punching holes all over my plane.
But I wonder if the coulds in a multi player game are the same (position and size) for all the players? Am I hiding in a cloud on MY computer while the other player actually can perfectly see me?
Thanks

Dirt_312
11-28-2004, 07:58 AM
We fly MP all the time and I lose the guys all the time in the clouds. We will fly information and pass through a cloud and when we exit the formation is spread out due to not being able to see each other, but this is with humans. The AI see through the clouds.

HeinzBar
11-28-2004, 08:06 AM
S!,
Not to be paranoid, but there some folks that supposedly run their clouds at minimum specs in order to have greater SA. Now this won't help them once the chase is on and the target is near because the clouds pop up. However, in a cockpit only, no external server the pilot being chased doesn't know if he has managed to dust his tail of the bandit.

I don't know how true this story is, but it may be worth investigating.

HB

Bikewer
11-28-2004, 10:19 AM
It happens in other games as well. WWII online has new, pretty foliage to hide in, but the other guy may move all his settings to minimum...you think you're hidden, and Zappo!

Tough to compromise on this as well, as the foliage is a real drain on your resources. Make it unchangable, and many folks wouldn't get any FPS at all.

Henry_Shrapnel
12-16-2004, 02:37 AM
Yes that is exactly why it is best not to use ichons. It is very unrealistic to not be able to hide in clouds simply because you have a giant neon sign giving your position away. An air combat sim should not use ichons unless it's a game where players are not shooting at one another.

FatBoyHK
12-16-2004, 03:12 AM
hiding in cloud isn't pathetic at all, indeed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

WOLFMondo
12-16-2004, 03:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by S1rkillalot:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gifWell, yes, I do that sometimes because my level is really pathetic and I'm trying to get some rest from the guy at my six who is punching holes all over my plane.
But I wonder if the coulds in a multi player game are the same (position and size) for all the players? Am I hiding in a cloud on MY computer while the other player actually can perfectly see me?
Thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im not sure to be honest. I can't say I've checked but hiding in clouds is somthing pilots did often when either trying to loose an attacker or stalking someone. Us any advantage you can get and clouds can be used as one.

Tully__
12-16-2004, 03:16 AM
At close range (out to more than 2km) everyone sees the same clouds. It's only at longer ranges that the "medium" guys have a visibility advantage over the "detailed" flyers. If you're trying to shake someone directly on your six, he's seeing the same cloud you are. If you're trying to hide from the bogeys 5km out at your 4 o'clock high, you may be wasting your time.

zanoneclisis
12-16-2004, 03:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry_Shrapnel:
Yes that is exactly why it is best not to use ichons. It is very unrealistic to not be able to hide in clouds simply because you have a giant neon sign giving your position away. An air combat sim should not use ichons unless it's a game where players are not shooting at one another. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i agree with enemy icons but some frendly icons on the map are welcome.

i see it like this: planes tell ground control where they are and and ground controle tells the
planes where there comrades are.
so somewhere in d3 are so and so may of that kinds of planes.

JaBo_HH-BlackSheep
12-16-2004, 03:32 AM
clouds, one of the best friends for FW drivers^^

Sir.Robin-1337
12-16-2004, 03:38 AM
Climb above the clouds and wait for the enemy to appear. Then flame his plane for doing such a move.

F19_Ob
12-16-2004, 04:45 AM
When flying against better planes clouds are a nescessity for success and escape...there is often no other option.

A few p-38 tips. (For Greatergreen and f16 ded.)

1. Use clouds
Perhaps the best lifesaver and situation-converter for a p38 pilot is the "clouds", and
there are a big number of tactical advantage things involving clouds that really should be discussed more on the board.( I wrote a small piece on it some months ago ).
The clouds not only provide cover but also the possibility to convert a "being chased situation" to a "chasing the foe instead" situation.
When using clouds make sure U are absorbed completely by the cloud and so u cant be seen from below or above since the cloudlayer is thinner in the vertical. The experienced chaser will dive down below and may see u if u are'nt high enough in the cloud. When U think u are unseen, change direction.

2. Determine your foes skill(if possible).
In my p38 I have met many 109's and sometimes U can immediatly see that the opponent is experienced ,or even an expert.
I consider my own tactical skill quite high and by watching how my opponent counter my moves I have got a better understanding of my chanses.
(ofcourse experienced can make misstakes too)
This way I have successfully evaded 109's on many occasions with the aid of clouds. If I determined my foe an expert I know that I wont be able to convert to a firing possition out in the open and that its very likely that he will shoot me down, so then cloudbattles are the only solution. Sometimes I have tried to get help from friendly planes nearby, but then I cant control my situation and have to hope that the friendly understands what to do.

3 enemy armament
It matters alot what armament the 109 is using at the time. A p38 can take a few hits from a 20mm cannon but usually is completely out after the first 30mm round and even if the p38 still is in the air the controlls are gone.
So if the 109 have 20mm cannon I may risk a few daring maneuvers to gain firing position. With the 30mm its best to minimize the risks as much as possible.

4. Caught at altitude
If caught by a 109 at high altitude dogfights are to the 109's advantage and the best thing to do in the p38 is to get as much initial separation after the first pass but keep the altitude.
Depending on what armament the 109 have u might want to risk a head on if u have enough separation to turn around. If not and he is gaining on and are within firing distance the best way to get away is descending to the safety of clouds below, wich normally is suicide with a 109 on tail.
The best way to descend in a chase is by spiraling down in big circles wich cause maximum deflection-calculation problems for the chasing 109.
The engine should be idle and combatflap added (Watch your speed). divebrakes can be used in the later p38 aswell.
This spiral from high altitude can be used very effectively even in a hurricane and is the only way to escape a 109 since turning, rolling, climbing and straighter diving are out of the question (especially for the hurricane).
Observe that the spiral always end with escape in the clouds below, to get away or to start cloudbattling.