or is it? could be a minor bug maybe but plz
correct me if im wrong.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Frederf221
05-11-2005, 12:16 PM
This can be easily tested.

1. Run batteries down to 99%
2. Set speed at 6 kts in recharge mode
3. Get several max range estimates from the NA, average them.
4. Let the battery recharge.
5. Set speed 6 kts in normal propulsion mode.
6. Get several max range estimates from the NA, average them.
7. Compare the two ranges. If the recharge range is much shorter than the normal mode range, then the game models the diesel used while recharging.

**This assumes you travel a short distance while recharging, and the diesel used during the charging was negligable so the only thing affecting the range numbers is the rate of consumption.

panthercules
05-11-2005, 04:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frederf221:
This can be easily tested.

1. Run batteries down to 99%
2. Set speed at 6 kts in recharge mode
3. Get several max range estimates from the NA, average them.
4. Let the battery recharge.
5. Set speed 6 kts in normal propulsion mode.
6. Get several max range estimates from the NA, average them.
7. Compare the two ranges. If the recharge range is much shorter than the normal mode range, then the game models the diesel used while recharging.

**This assumes you travel a short distance while recharging, and the diesel used during the charging was negligable so the only thing affecting the range numbers is the rate of consumption. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no clue about this, but it isn't apparent to me offhand just why (or whether) the fuel consumption under scenario 1 (1 engine propelling the boat at 6 knots and one engine recharging the batteries) would necessarily be either higher or lower than under scenario 2 (both engines being used to propel the boat at 6 knots). Without knowing for sure which mode of operation (pushing the boat vs charging the batteries) actually uses more fuel (or if they actually use about the same amount of fuel at those speeds), then whether there is a difference in the two average range estimation measurements between scenario 1 and 2 or not I don't see how we could conclude anything one way or the other about whether these fuel consumption effects were modeled in the game.

Seems to me that without accurate knowledge about these fuel consumption rates, any difference (or indeed even the lack of a difference) in these range estimate averages between the two scenarios could be argued to mean either that it was modeled, or that it wasn't, and we'd still have no real way of knowing for sure.